Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Spyware problem

Spyware problem

Alex McKean

I'm running WinXP Pro and everytime the PC boots up, I get a drop down box
that says "Select Your Country" and some sort of sex thing running in the
taskbar. I have scanned for viruses, I have run Spybot and Adaware in both
normal and safe modes. Spybote finds stuff but will not delete it. I noticed
that everytime I boot up, there is a file in the root directory "124838.exe"
which appears to be the same one in my taskbar at startup. I can delete this
file in safe mode, but it always comes back.
I hate to format this machine, but I'm about to give up.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alex

Alex McKean

Additional info:
I have looked in the RUN key of the registry and cannot fiure out where tis
may be loading from.

Thanks
"Alex McKean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Y6dBd.51$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running WinXP Pro and everytime the PC boots up, I get a drop down box
> that says "Select Your Country" and some sort of sex thing running in the
> taskbar. I have scanned for viruses, I have run Spybot and Adaware in both
> normal and safe modes. Spybote finds stuff but will not delete it. I

noticed
> that everytime I boot up, there is a file in the root directory

"124838.exe"
> which appears to be the same one in my taskbar at startup. I can delete

this
> file in safe mode, but it always comes back.
> I hate to format this machine, but I'm about to give up.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Alex

mcp6453

Alex McKean wrote:
> Additional info:
> I have looked in the RUN key of the registry and cannot fiure out where tis
> may be loading from.
>
> Thanks
> "Alex McKean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Y6dBd.51$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I'm running WinXP Pro and everytime the PC boots up, I get a drop down box
>>that says "Select Your Country" and some sort of sex thing running in the
>>taskbar. I have scanned for viruses, I have run Spybot and Adaware in both
>>normal and safe modes. Spybote finds stuff but will not delete it. I

> noticed
>
>>that everytime I boot up, there is a file in the root directory

> "124838.exe"
>
>>which appears to be the same one in my taskbar at startup. I can delete

> this
>
>>file in safe mode, but it always comes back.
>>I hate to format this machine, but I'm about to give up.
>>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Alex

Have you done an online virus scan? http://housecall.trendmicro.com.

Alex McKean

Yes, I did. Found nothing.

Thanks
news:IfdBd.1171$(E-Mail Removed) ...

Alex McKean wrote:
> Yes, I did. Found nothing.
>
> Thanks

You may need to go through Add/Remove Programs to see if there is
anythign there that is not supposed to be there. Sometimes these
programs install such that the spyware removal programs think they're
supposed to be there. In other cases, the spyware programs cannot remove
the programs because they are in use, which is what you may be
experiencing. You may have to do some research to determine how the
running program is listed in Task Manager, terminate it, and then delete
it manually.

Terry Joyce

Alex McKean wrote:
> I'm running WinXP Pro and everytime the PC boots up, I get a drop down box
> that says "Select Your Country" and some sort of sex thing running in the
> taskbar. I have scanned for viruses, I have run Spybot and Adaware in both
> normal and safe modes. Spybote finds stuff but will not delete it. I noticed
> that everytime I boot up, there is a file in the root directory "124838.exe"
> which appears to be the same one in my taskbar at startup. I can delete this
> file in safe mode, but it always comes back.
> I hate to format this machine, but I'm about to give up.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Alex

You must use task manager to see what processes are running. You must
look up each process on Google. There is a dropper that at boot looks to
see if it's evil children are present. If they are not, it puts them
back. Run Hijackthis.exe and get rid of suspicious entries (ie web
redirects and processes that have no name or random name. It is like
hunting for the head Vampire. You must kill it. Get Adaware SE, update
it and run it in safe mode. It will try and hide. for example
services.exe is OK service.exe is bad. You can do it. Be patient and
thorough.
Format is last resort
Terry Joyce

Trent©

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:08:08 -0500, "Alex McKean"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm running WinXP Pro and everytime the PC boots up, I get a drop down box
>that says "Select Your Country" and some sort of sex thing running in the
>taskbar. I have scanned for viruses, I have run Spybot and Adaware in both
>normal and safe modes. Spybote finds stuff but will not delete it. I noticed
>that everytime I boot up, there is a file in the root directory "124838.exe"
>which appears to be the same one in my taskbar at startup. I can delete this
>file in safe mode, but it always comes back.
>I hate to format this machine, but I'm about to give up.
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Alex

Run msconfig...maybe you can see it there.

If no luck...

Get and run HiJack This.

Pay-for program...get and run Pest Patrol.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent©

WebWalker

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:10:10 -0500, "Alex McKean"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Additional info:
>I have looked in the RUN key of the registry and cannot fiure out where tis
>may be loading from.

Try to use RUN and type in "msconfig" (without quote).
Disable whatsoever suspicious programs from the StartUp (tab).

--
WebWalker

me

"Alex McKean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Y6dBd.51$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running WinXP Pro and everytime the PC boots up, I get a drop down box
> that says "Select Your Country" and some sort of sex thing running in the
> taskbar. I have scanned for viruses, I have run Spybot and Adaware in both
> normal and safe modes. Spybote finds stuff but will not delete it. I

noticed
> that everytime I boot up, there is a file in the root directory

"124838.exe"
> which appears to be the same one in my taskbar at startup. I can delete

this
> file in safe mode, but it always comes back.
> I hate to format this machine, but I'm about to give up.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Alex

Also,use this link to check on what the various running processes are

http://www.processlibrary.com/

type in the name of the program and it lets you know if it is a goodie or a
baddie basically.Very handy,i have used it to get rid of a load of unwanted
crap that starts running on boot-up and eats RAM

Wizard

Look in installed programs for unrecognized stuff.