Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > IBM ThinkPad Laptop - Help Request

IBM ThinkPad Laptop - Help Request

IBM ThinkPad Laptop Series i 1400/1500, running MS Windows 98 Second Edition
Screen is dead.
Any cheap, quick and easy ways to fix?
How can I access the Hard Drive?
Perhaps by connecting through another computer?
If so, how?
Please be specific, my experience is limited.
Had just turned off the Second Monitor option a short while ago.

Thanks

Wizard

You will have to repair the screen or remove the drive, find an adapter
and put it in another system.

> IBM ThinkPad Laptop Series i 1400/1500, running MS Windows 98 Second Edition
> Screen is dead.
> Any cheap, quick and easy ways to fix?
> How can I access the Hard Drive?
> Perhaps by connecting through another computer?
> If so, how?
> Please be specific, my experience is limited.
> Had just turned off the Second Monitor option a short while ago.
>
> Thanks

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

HDDs are easiest to take out. IBM laptop Screens can be replaced
too(dunno how).

look at the bottom of your laptop, there's a rectangular area about 8cm
by 4cm with a little screw in it. unscre that one screw and the
rectangluar area will come off revealing your HDD to take out.
IBM do have their laptop support manuals online.
once the HDD is out, you could try putting it into another laptop but
you'dd prob find that win won't load up.

so you would connect it to a desktop with an adaptor - a 2.5-3.5 ide
cable, and a mounting thing. Or use a 2.5-3.5 ide cable with a usb-ide
adaptor.

(the laptop is 2.5" IDE, desktop is 3.5" IDE, the usb-ide adaptor is
3.5" - hence the need for the 2.5-3.5 adaptor cableadaptors)
I have heard that ppl buy IBMs because they're easily serviceable.