Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Sending faxes

Sending faxes

Arnold

Hi, I have a problem sending faxes via my computer. i'm running win xp and
use the built in fax console supplied. I have no problem recieving them but
when I try to send, the receiving fax/telephone just rings out twice and
then a get a message 'line busy'. Any ideas plse.

ady

"Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news0kAd.58170$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Hi, I have a problem sending faxes via my computer. i'm running win xp and
> use the built in fax console supplied. I have no problem recieving them

but
> when I try to send, the receiving fax/telephone just rings out twice and
> then a get a message 'line busy'. Any ideas plse.

Just tell us you're not on dial-up...please!?

Arnold

Yes I am. Is that a problem. I've managed to send them in the past though.

"ady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HdkAd.1799$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news0kAd.58170$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>> Hi, I have a problem sending faxes via my computer. i'm running win xp
>> and
>> use the built in fax console supplied. I have no problem recieving them

> but
>> when I try to send, the receiving fax/telephone just rings out twice and
>> then a get a message 'line busy'. Any ideas plse.
>>

> Just tell us you're not on dial-up...please!?

Chet

Your fax software probably has a setting somewhere to specify how long to
allow it to wait for an answer before assuming "busy". It isn't actually
detecting a busy signal, just a no-answer.

"Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news0kAd.58170$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Hi, I have a problem sending faxes via my computer. i'm running win xp and
> use the built in fax console supplied. I have no problem recieving them

but
> when I try to send, the receiving fax/telephone just rings out twice and
> then a get a message 'line busy'. Any ideas plse.

John Rampling

Hi there Arnold

I have the same problem and have not found anyone able to answer it. What
makes it confusing is that it worked fine until recently. I am fairly sure
it's not a modem problem but try reinstalling the drivers just in case.
There is no 'wait for X rings' setting in WinXP Fax Console or the Registry
that I can find that you can adjust.

I asked the question in microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers but got no
helpful replies. Perhaps you might be luckier. The only definite solution I
can suggest is to obtain third party software.

John

"Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news0kAd.58170$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Hi, I have a problem sending faxes via my computer. i'm running win xp and
> use the built in fax console supplied. I have no problem recieving them
> but when I try to send, the receiving fax/telephone just rings out twice
> and then a get a message 'line busy'. Any ideas plse.

Arnold

Thanks for the replies and I'll check the settings. Regarding third party
software - I have a fax package that came with my printer it's produced by a
company called BVRP but I have the same problem with this.

"John Rampling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5%uAd.23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there Arnold
>
> I have the same problem and have not found anyone able to answer it. What
> makes it confusing is that it worked fine until recently. I am fairly sure
> it's not a modem problem but try reinstalling the drivers just in case.
> There is no 'wait for X rings' setting in WinXP Fax Console or the
> Registry that I can find that you can adjust.
>
> I asked the question in microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers but got no
> helpful replies. Perhaps you might be luckier. The only definite solution
> I can suggest is to obtain third party software.
>
> John
>
> "Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news0kAd.58170$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>> Hi, I have a problem sending faxes via my computer. i'm running win xp
>> and use the built in fax console supplied. I have no problem recieving
>> them but when I try to send, the receiving fax/telephone just rings out
>> twice and then a get a message 'line busy'. Any ideas plse.

ady

Sorry Arnold, was having one of those moments...
You aren't trying to send faxes at the same time as being online are you -
that would engage your telephone line.
Sounds daft I know, but I have come across that one many times...

hth
Ady