Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Drive letter on Partition is gone

Drive letter on Partition is gone

Ritter197

My daughter just called me from out of town and said that her folders are
all empty in Outlook Express. She is missing all her incoming, sent mail.

She is sure that it was fine yesterday Dec 23,2004.

So I told her (she is using windows xp,) to use Restore to yesterday.

She tried that and it came up that it could not restore the Virtual F drive
because it was stopped from being on the Restore option.

So she Restore still to the 23rd of Dec. and still her Messages are gone.

I then asked her to try the 22nd and she did that with same result. It
always said it could not restore F drive but otherwise restored
successfully.

Yet - again her messages are not there.

I have 2 questions, Because I never had problems with Restore myself.
HOW can 1 drive be "stopped" from being on the Restore file? How can you
stop or "un-stop" it ? Where?

She did a Virus check with NOD32 and finds no viruses.
She did a Search and Destroy and finds no problems there.

What do you think happened? I am at this time clueless.

Thor

"Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My daughter just called me from out of town and said that her folders are
> all empty in Outlook Express. She is missing all her incoming, sent mail.
>
> She is sure that it was fine yesterday Dec 23,2004.
>
> So I told her (she is using windows xp,) to use Restore to yesterday.
>
> She tried that and it came up that it could not restore the Virtual F
> drive
> because it was stopped from being on the Restore option.
>
> So she Restore still to the 23rd of Dec. and still her Messages are gone.
>
> I then asked her to try the 22nd and she did that with same result. It
> always said it could not restore F drive but otherwise restored
> successfully.
>
> Yet - again her messages are not there.
>
> I have 2 questions, Because I never had problems with Restore myself.
> HOW can 1 drive be "stopped" from being on the Restore file? How can you
> stop or "un-stop" it ? Where?

"virtual" drives are not normally monitored by system restore, and in any
case her email messages would not normally reside on such a drive.
Furthermore, even if they were on such a drive, system restore does not
restore email messages. It only rolls back certain system-critical files.
Email messages are "user files" and aren't affected or backed up by system
restore.

> She did a Virus check with NOD32 and finds no viruses.
> She did a Search and Destroy and finds no problems there.
>
> What do you think happened? I am at this time clueless.

her OE folders were probably corrupted due to a program error, or she is
logged into OE as a different "identity", or her default identity has been
corrupted. There are tools that may help try and recover the missing email
messages. Search the various sites like download.com and see if you can find
something.

Wizard

OE gets very weird when the total of emails is greater than 500.