Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Bad memory chip prevent WinXP installation?

Bad memory chip prevent WinXP installation?

JTJersey

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:23:07 +0000, Trent© wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:25:41 -0500, JTJersey
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>> Set the partition as active.
>>>
>>> And don't ASSUME its active...especially with the cloning you do. Make
>>> sure its active.
>>>
>>> This may be your problem...and I've run across it many times.
>>>
>>> Have a nice one...
>>>
>>> Trent©

>>You lost me here Trent©, what partition are you refering to?
>>

> The partition where yer tryin' to install XP.
>
> The partition must be set to active. If it isn't, XP will still install
> okay. But it will not boot to that partition...it can't. So you create
> an endless loop...if you keep the boot cd in the tray.

I'm installing XP to a hard drive with a single partition that contains my
Win98SE which is working just fine. I don't recall seeing anything
anywhere giving me an option to set a partition as active or otherwise.
I'll run it again an see if I missed something.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

regarding making partiions active-

The option to set the partition active is never in the BIOS. It is an
option offered by FDISK, which is on any windows 98 boot disk and is
probably on your win98 system too.
To avoid problems, you want to avoid an old version of fdisk, and to do
that, I recommend making a win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com

So make that boot disk by executing this file [1] with a floppy disk in
there.
Reboot, and set your BIOS to boot off the floppy (A first (change the
boot order).
You will see a command prompt that looks like this A:\>
At that prompt, type 'fdisk' and hit enter- like this
A:\>Fdisk <ENTER>
>From there you can view partitions and make sure that the partition is

active, and you can use the easily navigatable menu to make the
partition active.

FDISK is free and it'll do the basic things, including making
partitions active, but it can't do anything else. so a lot of people
use Partition Magic.

Trent©

On 4 Jan 2005 09:35:26 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>regarding making partiions active-
>
>The option to set the partition active is never in the BIOS. It is an
>option offered by FDISK, which is on any windows 98 boot disk and is
>probably on your win98 system too.
>To avoid problems, you want to avoid an old version of fdisk, and to do
>that, I recommend making a win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
>
>So make that boot disk by executing this file [1] with a floppy disk in
>there.
>Reboot, and set your BIOS to boot off the floppy (A first (change the
>boot order).
>You will see a command prompt that looks like this A:\>
>At that prompt, type 'fdisk' and hit enter- like this
>A:\>Fdisk <ENTER>
>>From there you can view partitions and make sure that the partition is

>active, and you can use the easily navigatable menu to make the
>partition active.
>

>FDISK is free and it'll do the basic things, including making
>partitions active, but it can't do anything else. so a lot of people
>use Partition Magic.

FDISK is not free...and I hope bootdisk.com isn't giving it away as
such. That would be illegal.

Have a nice one...

Trent©