Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Hard drive backup software.

Hard drive backup software.

David Wells

I got a Maxtor USB drive to back my computer to. It came with
Retrospect backup software but as usual the software comes with a
limited time on it. What is a good , easy to use backup spftware for
MS Windows XP service pack 2. That will work well with this Maxtor 160
gb USB 2 drive.

Robert Baer

David Wells wrote:

> I got a Maxtor USB drive to back my computer to. It came with
> Retrospect backup software but as usual the software comes with a
> limited time on it. What is a good , easy to use backup spftware for
> MS Windows XP service pack 2. That will work well with this Maxtor 160
> gb USB 2 drive.

Use Ghost or DriveCopy.
*Always* make an exact copy of the working drive to the backup drive,
and disconnect the backup drive when done.
Do this on a regular basis (one week more or less depending on how
much use the system gets).
When the working drive fails, then the backup drive will be the
replacement - and then immediately buy another HD for backup (unless you
keep a spare on hand).
Most "backup" software encrypts the data and so the backup HD is
useless for immediate replacement purposes; you would be stuck with
formatting yet another HD, installing an OS, and installing enough
programs to allow the backup to be restored to that new HD - PITA!!

The One

"Lord Lancelot Fidgebanks-Favingban"

Are you a ****

Lord Jarrett Coblingnuck-Dummerspear

The One, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the stuporous, incredibly large
taxidermist, and seller of ale, frothed:

> "Lord Lancelot Fidgebanks-Favingban"
>
> Are you a ****

Seemingly, you're a dum**** ****.
HTH

--
Lunch was nice;

Smoked blow flies with infected crunchy handkerchief dregs and clove
vinaigrette, served in a bubbling mug containing chewy specks of radish,
intestine and sausage in odoriferous compost gravy, a side of fruit and a
bowl of smegma.

The One

>> "Lard Cuntface Fidgewank-Favinwank****"
>>
>> Are you a ****

> Seemingly, you're a dum**** ****.
> HTH

Seemingly, you monical wearing ****nut moronic arsewipe.

Most Reverend Kendrick Nicklebury-Clorringspear

The One, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the beetling, sterile minnow, and
girdle maker, cursed:

>>> "Lard Cuntface Fidgewank-Favinwank****"
>>>
>>> Are you a ****

>> Seemingly, you're a dum**** ****.
>> HTH
>>

> Seemingly, you monical wearing ****nut moronic arsewipe.

You seem to have one confused with Christopher Eubank, yet more evidence
that you're a thick, knuckle-dragging, ****chop.

HTH

--
Lunch was nice;

Fricasseed marmot muscle and heartworm adenoid topping fondued inside
scorched live rat embryos and budgerigar liver seasoning with decomposed
syphilis scabs and turnip extract garnished with pickled human armpit hairs,
dished up in a steaming bucket stuffed with canned pieces of cashew, pepper
and carrot in melted cheese, a side of chips and a bottle of pecan juice.