Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Wiping Hard Drives

Wiping Hard Drives

mcp6453

Can anyone recommend a bootable floppy based utility for wiping hard
drives that are being given away? I found
http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree...om_Floppy_Disk, but
the free version is limited. The professional version is $30 (too much
for this limited function.)

Trey

mcp6453 wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a bootable floppy based utility for wiping hard
> drives that are being given away? I found
> http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree...om_Floppy_Disk, but
> the free version is limited. The professional version is $30 (too much
> for this limited function.)

I use a 3/8" drill bit at work. Or we take them to the steel shredder, and
watch them go bye bye.

Ether way, the data is pretty much gone, but ether way, the drive is not
very useable.

derek / nul

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:53:23 GMT, mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a bootable floppy based utility for wiping hard
>drives that are being given away? I found
>http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree...om_Floppy_Disk, but
>the free version is limited. The professional version is $30 (too much
>for this limited function.)

Err, win98 boot disk, and fdisk

Robert Baer

derek / nul wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:53:23 GMT, mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Can anyone recommend a bootable floppy based utility for wiping hard
> >drives that are being given away? I found
> >http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree...om_Floppy_Disk, but
> >the free version is limited. The professional version is $30 (too much
> >for this limited function.)

> Err, win98 boot disk, and fdisk

Sorry; the data will be accessable.

Thor

what brand of harddrive? Often the manufacturer will have a zero-fill
utility.

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7bsyd.9397$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Can anyone recommend a bootable floppy based utility for wiping hard
> drives that are being given away? I found
> http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree...om_Floppy_Disk, but the
> free version is limited. The professional version is $30 (too much for
> this limited function.)

mcp6453

Thor wrote:
> what brand of harddrive? Often the manufacturer will have a zero-fill
> utility.

Multiple brands. The one I posted is zero-fill, but it is only one pass.

WebWalker

wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a bootable floppy based utility for wiping hard
>drives that are being given away? I found
>http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree...om_Floppy_Disk, but
>the free version is limited. The professional version is $30 (too much
>for this limited function.)

Try to use the HD utility (download from HD maker site) called
Zero-fill or Low level formatting.

--
WebWalker

Thor

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZNzyd.10258$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Thor wrote:
>> what brand of harddrive? Often the manufacturer will have a zero-fill
>> utility.

> Multiple brands. The one I posted is zero-fill, but it is only one pass.

should be good enough, unless you have secrets of national security on there
guy. Even after one pass it should be destroyed to a degree that would
make it extrordinarily unlikely that anything would be retrievable short of
radical techniques.

JD

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:53:23 +0000, mcp6453 wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a bootable floppy based utility for wiping hard
> drives that are being given away? I found
> http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree...om_Floppy_Disk, but
> the free version is limited. The professional version is $30 (too much
> for this limited function.)

Sand blast the surface of the drive .. what you got on there anyway ?..
anything illegal ?.. several thousand mp3`s ? porn ? top secret documents
for the assembly of a nuclear weapon's ?

without low level formating or such you could use pgp for erasing the data
its free and works well .. i remember some years ago writing a small app
in assembly for doing such a task .. its really not that difficult.

use fdisk format the drive then put a different file system on it eg if
you have fat/32 format and put ntfs on it (or vice versa)

just my two pence worth anyway.

Trey

JD wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:53:23 +0000, mcp6453 wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a bootable floppy based utility for wiping hard
>> drives that are being given away? I found
>> http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree...om_Floppy_Disk,
>> but the free version is limited. The professional version is $30
>> (too much for this limited function.)

> Sand blast the surface of the drive .. what you got on there anyway
> ?.. anything illegal ?.. several thousand mp3`s ? porn ? top secret
> documents for the assembly of a nuclear weapon's ?
>
> without low level formating or such you could use pgp for erasing the
> data its free and works well .. i remember some years ago writing a
> small app in assembly for doing such a task .. its really not that
> difficult.
>
> use fdisk format the drive then put a different file system on it eg
> if you have fat/32 format and put ntfs on it (or vice versa)
>
> just my two pence worth anyway.

Its not that hard to write a program that would fill the entire HD with a
number sequence. Just format the drive, write the numbers over the whole HD,
then format again for a blank HD.

I cant think of A: anything on my HD that is soo confidential that I would
have to do more then a wipe, write, wipe. and B: I can not think of anyone
that I would give the HD to that would ether be advanced enough to recover
data after that, or who would want to. HDs are so cheap these days, no one I
know would even want an old 40 gig or 80 gig drive.