Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DDR vs DDR2

DDR vs DDR2

Trey

I did some research about DDR and DDR2. Most the articles I have found base
their tests on game. That's wonderful and all, but I don't need it for
games, and can really care less how the frame rates in HalfLife improve.
However, I would like to see the performance improvements with apps like
ArcView, ArcGIS.. 50k line excel files, 70k record Access files, and 100MB
text files.
Would anyone happen to know if DDR2 would be all that much faster then DDR
in these types of operations? or happen to know if someone has performed
such tests?

Spajky

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:18:21 GMT, "Trey" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Would anyone happen to know if DDR2 would be all that much faster then DDR
>in these types of operations? or happen to know if someone has performed
>such tests?

IMHO at same clock, the DDR2 will be slower than DDR normal ! (higher
latencies!)

Bandwith /theorethical/ has nothing to do with real life performance
of ram

(see on my site under comp/benches 1st "new"

I am still waiting someone to send me the test results for DDR2 too
update the article!

--
Regards & Happy Holidays Everyone, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##