Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

Beachcomber

I'd like to hear from anyone who has recently become a MicroSoft
Certified Systems Engineer.

How much did it cost you in total? How long did it take? Did you use
the study info offered at Microsoft's Web Site and/or take courses in
the required subject fields. Any suggestions or recommendations for
how to do this efficiently?

Beachcomber

mark mandel

"Beachcomber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'd like to hear from anyone who has recently become a MicroSoft
> Certified Systems Engineer.
>
> How much did it cost you in total? How long did it take? Did you use
> the study info offered at Microsoft's Web Site and/or take courses in
> the required subject fields. Any suggestions or recommendations for
> how to do this efficiently?
>
> Beachcomber

I "considered" last year when my regular biz(I'm a self-employed piano
technician)got so slow for weeks the summer of last year. But I don't have
a degree in Computer Science which apparently is strongly recommended. And
after attending a two month course for the prerequisite A+ Certification
degree, the biz finally improved so I decided to make computer service a
hobby and forget about the whole MCSE thing completely.

You have to be careful about some of these schools that in recent years have
been hyping this especially when the IT job market hasn't been so great to
begin with. I can remember though a former friend who I re-established
email contact with eight years ago who got one of those certifications by
passing the required six exams and this WITHOUT his having a degree in C.S.
either. He was what you'd call a "paper" MCSE.

Beachcomber

>You have to be careful about some of these schools that in recent years have
>been hyping this especially when the IT job market hasn't been so great to
>begin with. I can remember though a former friend who I re-established
>email contact with eight years ago who got one of those certifications by
>passing the required six exams and this WITHOUT his having a degree in C.S.
>either. He was what you'd call a "paper" MCSE.

Thanks for the advice. In my case, I have a BSEE and worked as an
Assistant Network Administrator for 5 years. The work kept me busy
and was enjoyable. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking the
company was secure and I never felt a pressing need to get the MCSE
credential as I felt my company knew me well and demonstrated a need
for the skills I possessed. Last year came wholesale layoffs and
this year the company went bankrupt. Bottom line, I'm out of work and
I'm finding out that even the smallest companies are asking for
Microsoft Certification.

Beachcomber

Mark Mandell

"Beachcomber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>You have to be careful about some of these schools that in recent years
>>have
>>been hyping this especially when the IT job market hasn't been so great to
>>begin with. I can remember though a former friend who I re-established
>>email contact with eight years ago who got one of those certifications by
>>passing the required six exams and this WITHOUT his having a degree in
>>C.S.
>>either. He was what you'd call a "paper" MCSE.
>>>

> Thanks for the advice. In my case, I have a BSEE and worked as an
> Assistant Network Administrator for 5 years. The work kept me busy
> and was enjoyable. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking the
> company was secure and I never felt a pressing need to get the MCSE
> credential as I felt my company knew me well and demonstrated a need
> for the skills I possessed. Last year came wholesale layoffs and
> this year the company went bankrupt. Bottom line, I'm out of work and
> I'm finding out that even the smallest companies are asking for
> Microsoft Certification.
>
> Beachcomber

Actually what you should consider doing is to get hired by one of the
companies THEN get them to bankroll you for the course once they feel
confident that you're what they need.

Trent©

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:10:18 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Beachcomber)
wrote:

>>You have to be careful about some of these schools that in recent years have
>>been hyping this especially when the IT job market hasn't been so great to
>>begin with. I can remember though a former friend who I re-established
>>email contact with eight years ago who got one of those certifications by
>>passing the required six exams and this WITHOUT his having a degree in C.S.
>>either. He was what you'd call a "paper" MCSE.
>>>

>Thanks for the advice. In my case, I have a BSEE and worked as an
>Assistant Network Administrator for 5 years. The work kept me busy
>and was enjoyable. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking the
>company was secure and I never felt a pressing need to get the MCSE
>credential as I felt my company knew me well and demonstrated a need
>for the skills I possessed. Last year came wholesale layoffs and
>this year the company went bankrupt. Bottom line, I'm out of work and
>I'm finding out that even the smallest companies are asking for
>Microsoft Certification.
>
>Beachcomber

Hire yourself!

Actually, a lot of the small companies are contracting a lot of their
work out. This might be a good/forced opportunity to go out on your
own...especially if you can keep your prime occupation goin' at the
same time.

Make sure you make up a business card that brings out your degrees and
qualifications...like '5 years experience in network administration'.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent©

Beachcomber

>Hire yourself!
>
>Actually, a lot of the small companies are contracting a lot of their
>work out. This might be a good/forced opportunity to go out on your
>own...especially if you can keep your prime occupation goin' at the
>same time.
>
>Make sure you make up a business card that brings out your degrees and
>qualifications...like '5 years experience in network administration'.
>
>Good luck.

Thanks again for the info. I've got a couple of part-time businesses
which keep me going. I still would like to get certified though.

I know you have to pay a fee to take the tests, I'm wondering if you
can get the required study materials at low cost or no cost from
libraries etc? Has anyone successfully done this?

Beachcomber

Trent©

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:37:36 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Beachcomber)
wrote:

>>Hire yourself!
>>
>>Actually, a lot of the small companies are contracting a lot of their
>>work out. This might be a good/forced opportunity to go out on your
>>own...especially if you can keep your prime occupation goin' at the
>>same time.
>>
>>Make sure you make up a business card that brings out your degrees and
>>qualifications...like '5 years experience in network administration'.
>>
>>Good luck.
>>

>Thanks again for the info. I've got a couple of part-time businesses
>which keep me going. I still would like to get certified though.
>
>I know you have to pay a fee to take the tests, I'm wondering if you
>can get the required study materials at low cost or no cost from
>libraries etc? Has anyone successfully done this?

Why does somebody else's success matter to you?

Just DO it!

Have a nice one...

Trent©

Developwebsites

>Any suggestions or recommendations for
>how to do this efficiently?

ye... DONT!
MCSE is worth less than used toilet paper; as is your BS in CIS and $50k
tuition with all these Indians coming in.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

Beachcomber wrote:
> >Hire yourself!
> >
> >Actually, a lot of the small companies are contracting a lot of

their
> >work out. This might be a good/forced opportunity to go out on your
> >own...especially if you can keep your prime occupation goin' at the
> >same time.
> >
> >Make sure you make up a business card that brings out your degrees

and
> >qualifications...like '5 years experience in network

administration'.

> >Good luck.
> >

> Thanks again for the info. I've got a couple of part-time businesses
> which keep me going. I still would like to get certified though.
>
> I know you have to pay a fee to take the tests, I'm wondering if you
> can get the required study materials at low cost or no cost from
> libraries etc? Has anyone successfully done this?
>
> Beachcomber

I looked up about this a while back. There are standard books people
use.
Like a book by Mike Myers. Of the places that do it, check that they
are listed on MS's site. Some have a 'Gold cerificate' from MS or an MS
Partnership thing.