Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > ethernet line switch

ethernet line switch

effi

does anyone make an inline switch that can be used on an ethernet line in,
so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?

Jim Berwick

"effi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?

You could just unplug the cord?

JD

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:30:12 -0600, effi wrote:

> does anyone make an inline switch that can be used on an ethernet line in,
> so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?

you could simply make one .. altho I cannot think of a single reason for
doing so ?

do elaborate .. sounds interesting ?

The One

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:30:12 -0600, effi wrote:
>
>> does anyone make an inline switch that can be used on an ethernet line
>> in,
>> so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?

> you could simply make one .. altho I cannot think of a single reason for
> doing so ?
>
> do elaborate .. sounds interesting ?

Prat

JD

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:32:30 +0000, The One wrote:

> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:30:12 -0600, effi wrote:
>>
>>> does anyone make an inline switch that can be used on an ethernet line
>>> in,
>>> so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?

>> you could simply make one .. altho I cannot think of a single reason for
>> doing so ?
>>
>> do elaborate .. sounds interesting ?

> Prat

You are just getting annoying now .. do you have ANYTHING to contribute ?

Trent©

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:30:12 -0600, "effi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>does anyone make an inline switch that can be used on an ethernet line in,
>so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?

I haven't seen one...but I'd like to find one, too.

What I've done...

Got a male to male connector...and have it secured where I'd want a
switch to be. Make it secure...so that you can take the cable out and
put it in again easily with one hand.

On another setup, I've got a regular network 5-port switch...securely
fastened to the workbench. Its then easy to unplug when necessary.

If you find that inline switch, let us know.

Have a nice one...

Trent©

Trent©

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:24:09 +0000, Jim Berwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"effi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?
>>

>You could just unplug the cord?

Some devices are easier to disconnect with a switch...things you
disconnect and reconnect on a regular basis...like floor lamps,
computers, monitors, etc.

An in-line switch for CAT cable would be nice.

Have a nice one...

Trent©

Dan DiNicolo

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but you could also just create a "software"
switch - a shortcut that, when run, enables or disables the Ethernet port
itself - assuming we're talking about a PC, of course. I've been in the
business for quite some time and have never seen a physical ethernet switch,
though I can think of a hundred ways in which it would come in handy!

Dan
--
Dan DiNicolo
MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

"Trent©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:24:09 +0000, Jim Berwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"effi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?
>>>

>>You could just unplug the cord?

> Some devices are easier to disconnect with a switch...things you
> disconnect and reconnect on a regular basis...like floor lamps,
> computers, monitors, etc.
>
> An in-line switch for CAT cable would be nice.
>

> Have a nice one...
>
> Trent©
>
> Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

Thor

"Dan DiNicolo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4w_xd.15$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know it's a bit of a stretch, but you could also just create a "software"
>switch - a shortcut that, when run, enables or disables the Ethernet port
>itself - assuming we're talking about a PC, of course. I've been in the
>business for quite some time and have never seen a physical ethernet
>switch, though I can think of a hundred ways in which it would come in
>handy!

Just an FYI, this can already be done with WindowsXP. Merely right-clicking
the network connection icon, you will get a menu with an option to disable
the connection.

Trent©

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:07:42 -0500, "Dan DiNicolo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know it's a bit of a stretch, but you could also just create a "software"
>switch - a shortcut that, when run, enables or disables the Ethernet port
>itself - assuming we're talking about a PC, of course. I've been in the
>business for quite some time and have never seen a physical ethernet switch,
>though I can think of a hundred ways in which it would come in handy!
>
>Dan

I'm constantly pulling the wires on my network...mainly to clean a
machine from trojans, etc. Yeah...I could sure use one!

The software switch that Thor mentions is a good idea. But it shuts
off the entire network...not just the Internet. Sometimes I still
need my network going...to transfer install files, etc.

Have a nice one...

Trent©