Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer reboots

Computer reboots

spam

Hello all,
I have a computer running Windows XP Pro and every once in a
while it just reboots on it's own. No certain program needs to be
running to cause the reboot. Also I noticed sometimes when doing
Video editing my monitor will also go blank and come right back.

Any ideas what to troubleshoot?

Thor

first of all, disable the auto reboot function and see if you actually get a
stop error screen with some useful info. WinXP reboots after a stop error by
default, so this may be happening in your case. Go to the system properties,
then click "advanced", then in the "startup and recovery" section, click the
"settings" button. Then uncheck the "automatically restart..." option. Then
wait for your problem to occur. If you get a blue stop error screen, make
note of the EXACT message and error code along with any file information,
and post it here.

"daultfam (spam)" <@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
> I have a computer running Windows XP Pro and every once in a
> while it just reboots on it's own. No certain program needs to be
> running to cause the reboot. Also I noticed sometimes when doing
> Video editing my monitor will also go blank and come right back.
>
> Any ideas what to troubleshoot?

The One

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> first of all, disable the auto reboot function and see if you actually get
> a stop error screen with some useful info. WinXP reboots after a stop
> error by default, so this may be happening in your case. Go to the system
> properties, then click "advanced", then in the "startup and recovery"
> section, click the "settings" button. Then uncheck the "automatically
> restart..." option. Then wait for your problem to occur. If you get a blue
> stop error screen, make note of the EXACT message and error code along
> with any file information, and post it here.

Yep I has the same problem, depending on the error message, it could be and
is highly likely an iffy RAM stick, have you upgraded recently or attempted
to overclock which can sometimes finish off memory.

spam

Thor, made the changes and will post the error message here if and
when I see it.

Thanks for the help, this group is one big help!

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 00:09:35 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>first of all, disable the auto reboot function and see if you actually get a
>stop error screen with some useful info. WinXP reboots after a stop error by
>default, so this may be happening in your case. Go to the system properties,
>then click "advanced", then in the "startup and recovery" section, click the
>"settings" button. Then uncheck the "automatically restart..." option. Then
>wait for your problem to occur. If you get a blue stop error screen, make
>note of the EXACT message and error code along with any file information,
>and post it here.
>
>..
>"daultfam (spam)" <@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello all,
>> I have a computer running Windows XP Pro and every once in a
>> while it just reboots on it's own. No certain program needs to be
>> running to cause the reboot. Also I noticed sometimes when doing
>> Video editing my monitor will also go blank and come right back.
>>
>> Any ideas what to troubleshoot?

spam

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:46:24 -0000, "The One"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> first of all, disable the auto reboot function and see if you actually get
>> a stop error screen with some useful info. WinXP reboots after a stop
>> error by default, so this may be happening in your case. Go to the system
>> properties, then click "advanced", then in the "startup and recovery"
>> section, click the "settings" button. Then uncheck the "automatically
>> restart..." option. Then wait for your problem to occur. If you get a blue
>> stop error screen, make note of the EXACT message and error code along
>> with any file information, and post it here.
>>

>Yep I has the same problem, depending on the error message, it could be and
>is highly likely an iffy RAM stick, have you upgraded recently or attempted
>to overclock which can sometimes finish off memory.

No hardware changes to the system since I built it and the system ran
great for almost a year before this problem started. Only changes I
have made have been updated drivers or software. Made the change to
the startup and recovery and am waiting for an error message.

spam

Thor, below is the error message I received. I only wrote the
Technical stuff:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xf38ad98a, 0f0505840, 0x00000000)

tcpip.sys - address f38ad98a base at f3891000, DateStamp 41107ect

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 00:09:35 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>first of all, disable the auto reboot function and see if you actually get a
>stop error screen with some useful info. WinXP reboots after a stop error by
>default, so this may be happening in your case. Go to the system properties,
>then click "advanced", then in the "startup and recovery" section, click the
>"settings" button. Then uncheck the "automatically restart..." option. Then
>wait for your problem to occur. If you get a blue stop error screen, make
>note of the EXACT message and error code along with any file information,
>and post it here.
>
>..
>"daultfam (spam)" <@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello all,
>> I have a computer running Windows XP Pro and every once in a
>> while it just reboots on it's own. No certain program needs to be
>> running to cause the reboot. Also I noticed sometimes when doing
>> Video editing my monitor will also go blank and come right back.
>>
>> Any ideas what to troubleshoot?

Thor

well tcpip.sys is your TCP/IP network protocol driver. Perhaps some problem
or conflict in your network settings or drivers. I would start by resetting
your TCP/IP stack. Open a command prompt window and type

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Also check your system for spyware. Some kinds can hook into your winsock
settings and cause all kinds of trouble.

> [...]

>>> section, click the "settings" button. Then uncheck the "automatically
>>> restart..." option. Then wait for your problem to occur. If you get a
>>> blue
>>> stop error screen, make note of the EXACT message and error code along
>>> with any file information, and post it here.
>>>

>>Yep I has the same problem, depending on the error message, it could be
>>and
>>is highly likely an iffy RAM stick, have you upgraded recently or
>>attempted
>>to overclock which can sometimes finish off memory.
>>

> No hardware changes to the system since I built it and the system ran
> great for almost a year before this problem started. Only changes I
> have made have been updated drivers or software. Made the change to
> the startup and recovery and am waiting for an error message.

When yuo get an error message, match it up the one given in the websites
below, to give you an indication of what may be wrong.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...d_stp_ottj.asp

or

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x50

The One

>> Thor, below is the error message I received. I only wrote the
>> Technical stuff:
>>
>> STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xf38ad98a, 0f0505840, 0x00000000)
>>
>> tcpip.sys - address f38ad98a base at f3891000, DateStamp 41107ect

This is KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn't
catch. These are nearly always hardware compability issues (which sometimes
means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Looks like a major hardware conflict.

spam

Will reset the TCP/IP stack and see what happens. I've checked for
spyware and any viruses already with several different programs,
including online Housecall.

I have noticed my router is acting funny sometimes when I reboot it,
could this be the problem.