Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Home Network Question

Home Network Question

Jack Barrett

I currently have a network with the following equipment:

eMachine / Celeron 2.8 GHZ / Windows XP Pro / Gateway to Internet / DSL /
Crossover Cables
Compaq / p3 / 1 GHZ / Windows XP Pro

I know, the first thing you are going to say is"Get a Router". I plan on
doing that soon.

My question is this: Can I add another PC running Windows 98 to this network
thru another NIC card in the eMachine. It has a NIC card that is not being
used and I want to set this up for my A+ certification test.
I am not concerned about performance with the 98 PC. I just want to be able
to make changes to the 98 PC, experiment with the registry, try Linux, basic
internet, etc.

Thanks,

Jack Barrett
My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Peace-Angel

does emachine have 2 nics or what?
if it does then yes. if you are installing another nic, I believe you can.

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZyXwd.8620$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently have a network with the following equipment:
>
> eMachine / Celeron 2.8 GHZ / Windows XP Pro / Gateway to Internet / DSL /
> Crossover Cables
> Compaq / p3 / 1 GHZ / Windows XP Pro
>
> I know, the first thing you are going to say is"Get a Router". I plan on
> doing that soon.
>
> My question is this: Can I add another PC running Windows 98 to this
> network
> thru another NIC card in the eMachine. It has a NIC card that is not being
> used and I want to set this up for my A+ certification test.
> I am not concerned about performance with the 98 PC. I just want to be
> able
> to make changes to the 98 PC, experiment with the registry, try Linux,
> basic
> internet, etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Barrett
> My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Jack Barrett

Hey Peace,

my eMachine does have 2 nics.
thanks,

Jack Barrett
My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZyXwd.8620$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently have a network with the following equipment:
>
> eMachine / Celeron 2.8 GHZ / Windows XP Pro / Gateway to Internet / DSL /
> Crossover Cables
> Compaq / p3 / 1 GHZ / Windows XP Pro
>
> I know, the first thing you are going to say is"Get a Router". I plan on
> doing that soon.
>
> My question is this: Can I add another PC running Windows 98 to this
> network
> thru another NIC card in the eMachine. It has a NIC card that is not being
> used and I want to set this up for my A+ certification test.
> I am not concerned about performance with the 98 PC. I just want to be
> able
> to make changes to the 98 PC, experiment with the registry, try Linux,
> basic
> internet, etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Barrett
> My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Duane Arnold

Jack Barrett wrote:

> I currently have a network with the following equipment:
>
> eMachine / Celeron 2.8 GHZ / Windows XP Pro / Gateway to Internet / DSL /
> Crossover Cables
> Compaq / p3 / 1 GHZ / Windows XP Pro
>
> I know, the first thing you are going to say is"Get a Router". I plan on
> doing that soon.
>
> My question is this: Can I add another PC running Windows 98 to this
> network thru another NIC card in the eMachine. It has a NIC card that is
> not being
> used and I want to set this up for my A+ certification test.
> I am not concerned about performance with the 98 PC. I just want to be
> able to make changes to the 98 PC, experiment with the registry, try
> Linux, basic internet, etc.

You should do yourself a favor and go get yourself a cheap NAT router and
let it be the gateway device for the ICS on the LAN and gateway for the
WAN. It also provides much better protection from scans and attacks from
than the most likely un-harden to attack XP O/S as the gateway.

http://tinyurl.com/6agku

Duane

Peace-Angel

I believe its quite possible to set up the emachine as a server and let the
other two computers go through there. Easy

news:EvYwd.8626$(E-Mail Removed)...