Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Gaming PC - Help

Gaming PC - Help

The One

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:41c331da$0$36377$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wizard wrote:
>>
>> Not sure if this is a joke or not. Assuming you are serious, then you
>> don't have a modern enough system to do much of anything with; except
>> perhaps a door stop. I throw away anything slower than a PIII nowadays
>> and you have a PI.

> Depends on what you use your pc for.

Games!

Jim Berwick

Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:41c331da$0$36377$(E-Mail Removed):

> Depends on what you use your pc for.

A P1 would make a very capable Linux based firewall, for example.

Ionizer

"The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi i've just bought a PC for games, however when I load up a game it

runs
> really slow or not at all. I took the game back to the store thinking it
> might be a disk fault be the replacement was just the same.
>
> Can anyone help, the game in question is Doom 3 (the first one i've

bought).

> My computer is as far as I know:
>
> Intel 166
> 16Mb Memory
> 4Mb Hard Disk
> Windows 95
> Graphics 4Mb
> 4x CD

That's just bad trolling. It's in the details- Doom 3 wouldn't run
"really slow" on such a system, it would not have installed in the first
place.

http://doom.neoseeker.com/DOOM_3/PC/...requirementsa/

--
Ian.

John Holmes

The One came up with this:

> "John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns95C2D048D1DD2johnanonymouscunt@192.168.0.1 01...
>> The One came up with this:
>>
>>> Hi i've just bought a PC for games, however when I load up a game it
>>> runs really slow or not at all. I took the game back to the store
>>> thinking it might be a disk fault be the replacement was just the
>>> same.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help, the game in question is Doom 3 (the first one i've
>>> bought).
>>>
>>> My computer is as far as I know:
>>>
>>> Intel 166
>>> 16Mb Memory
>>> 4Mb Hard Disk
>>> Windows 95
>>> Graphics 4Mb
>>> 4x CD
>>>

>> Your system is too fast for those games. That's why they won't play.

Get
>> yourself a 486/80 system with 8 Mb memory, a 256 Kb ISA graphic's card
>> and a 100 Mb harddisk. Install DOS (not windows) and buy Arkanoid,

which
>> runs perfectly under DOS. With this setup, you will also be protected
>> against all current viruses! You don't even need a virus program! MS
>> Antivirus (build-in with DOS 5.xx and above) will protect you from

that
>> annoying FORM virus.
>>
>> HTH and HAND
>> --
>> -John Holmes-
>>
>> "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
>>

> Isnt a 486 a downgrade from a Pentium. I assume that Doom 3 is a
> re-realeased old game which wont run on newer systems.

Your assumption is right. Doom3 is just a re-released old game and it
will only run on old systems. If you run it on a PentiumI or higher, it
will crash.
BTW, if you have more than 16 Mb memory, Doom will also crash. Doom
/ONLY/ runs on systems with =< 16 Mb of memory.

--
-John Holmes-

"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

Fred

"The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi i've just bought a PC for games, however when I load up a game it runs
> really slow or not at all. I took the game back to the store thinking it
> might be a disk fault be the replacement was just the same.
>
> Can anyone help, the game in question is Doom 3 (the first one i've

bought).

> My computer is as far as I know:
>
> Intel 166
> 16Mb Memory
> 4Mb Hard Disk
> Windows 95
> Graphics 4Mb
> 4x CD

"The One" types with cock in hand.
Have a read here.
http://www.afrotechmods.com/groovy/r...view/doom3.htm

Jim Berwick

John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns95C2F2E34E3ACjohnanonymouscunt@192.168.0.1 01:

> BTW, if you have more than 16 Mb memory, Doom will also crash. Doom
> /ONLY/ runs on systems with =< 16 Mb of memory.

On an unrelated issue, I saw something like "Doom: Ultimate Collection" in
a store recently. Doom I, Doom II, and two new 32 mission episodes for the
original Doom. Min Req: 25mhz 486 or Pentium/Athlon class processor. Dead
serious. A 25 mhz 486, or an Athlon. Kind of a wide range of speed there.

CLV3

> Can anyone help, the game in question is Doom 3 (the first one i've
bought).

> My computer is as far as I know:
>
> Intel 166
> 16Mb Memory
> 4Mb Hard Disk
> Windows 95
> Graphics 4Mb
> 4x CD

If you are joking....good one.

If not, ummm I hope you did not pay a lot for the system.

CLV3

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:41c331da$0$36377$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wizard wrote:
> >
> > Not sure if this is a joke or not. Assuming you are serious, then you
> > don't have a modern enough system to do much of anything with; except
> > perhaps a door stop. I throw away anything slower than a PIII nowadays
> > and you have a PI.

> Depends on what you use your pc for.

But DEFINITELY not for Doom 3.

CLV3

"Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:41c331da$0$36377$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Depends on what you use your pc for.
> >

> A P1 would make a very capable Linux based firewall, for example.

And doorstop as Wizard said.

CLV3

"The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Not sure if this is a joke or not. Assuming you are serious, then you
> > don't have a modern enough system to do much of anything with; except
> > perhaps a door stop. I throw away anything slower than a PIII nowadays
> > and you have a PI.
> >

> So you recommend a PIII, if I upgrade to one of those can I transfer all

my
> memories and hard disk to the new one.

A PIII is even old at this point and probably would not run Doom 3.