Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Netflow on a 1720

Netflow on a 1720

Pascal Duchemin

Hello,

I am trying to monitor bandwidth ( per IP or per type of service such as
http smtp etc ... )

Based on what I found, a way to go would be to use a tool called cflowd on
linux.
However, ip route-cache flow doesn't work.
Would it be because my cisco 1720 is not "netflow" compliant ? Or the IOS ?
Or am I using the wrong command to enable netflow.

-----------

Except the netflow technic is there any other way to monitor traffic per
service ( maybe using MIBs and OIDs ) ?

Thanks

Walter Roberson

In article <bt4kou$j69$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Pascal Duchemin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I am trying to monitor bandwidth ( per IP or per type of service such as
:http smtp etc ... )

:Based on what I found, a way to go would be to use a tool called cflowd on
:linux.
:However, ip route-cache flow doesn't work.
:Would it be because my cisco 1720 is not "netflow" compliant ? Or the IOS ?
:Or am I using the wrong command to enable netflow.

netflow on the 1720 requires IOS 12.2(11)YV or later if you
have just the IP feature set; all of the other 12.2 support for
the 1720 IP requires 12.2T, until it becomes mainline in 12.3(1).

If you have the PLUS feature set then support goes back to 12.0(3)T.

:Except the netflow technic is there any other way to monitor traffic per
:service ( maybe using MIBs and OIDs ) ?

"ip accounting" might help. The applicable MIBs are
CISCO-IP-STAT-MIB-V1SMI and OLD-CISCO-IP-MIB . It doesn't look
like you can get down to the service level, though, just
source/destination pairs.
--
'ignorandus (Latin): "deserving not to be known"'
-- Journal of Self-Referentialism

Phillip Remaker

Netflow is not free. You need to purchase a license for it.

Walter Roberson

In article <1073085162.690126@sj-nntpcache-5>,
Phillip Remaker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Netflow is not free. You need to purchase a license for it.

Could you double-check that point, Phillip? The documentation
I find says that you needed a NetFlow Feature License for the
7200/7500/RSM, but that [at the time] you just needed PLUS
for the other series. And now with the base 1720 images supporting
the netflow feature as well, it doesn't look to me that you need
a netflow license for a new enough 1720.
typewriters, and Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare. -- Blair Houghton.

6500 modules & netflow - what is the difference between "X-BAR" and "Fabric enabled" , netflow questions zeio@hotmail.com Cisco 0 10-13-2005 12:12 AM
netflow aggregation Tassos Cisco 0 12-11-2003 03:42 PM
NetFlow & ICMP type/subtype Slava Astashonok Cisco 1 12-09-2003 02:50 PM
netflow tools love0503hk Cisco 0 07-22-2003 06:18 PM
NetFlow collection/analysis (not flow-tools :) X.25 Cisco 1 07-08-2003 09:48 PM

Advertisments