Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Voltage drop problem

Voltage drop problem

madjack

My new computer has a voltage drop problem. I have a 420W power supply, a
Pentium 4 3,0Ghz processor, an Abit VT7 motherboard, use XP professional,
and have a Seagate 160GB hard drive. When I run my most demanding programs
and monitor the system info program that came with the motherboard it shows
the 12volt monitor dropping and if it drops low enough, usually around 9.3
it locks up everything. I contacted Seagate and they had me disconnect
power to everything (fans,floppy, and DVD drives) but the hard drive and it
still did the same thing losing power. Other than a bad hard drive what
could be the problem and how would you check it without having to purchase
everything again and swapping it out? Seagate told me to replace the hard
drive but I was saving that as a last resort. Any help would be
appreciated.

Jerry G.

This can be either the hard drive or the power supply.

--

Jerry G.
======

"madjack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95BF7724ED539madjack22002yahoocom@65.24.7. 50...
My new computer has a voltage drop problem. I have a 420W power supply, a
Pentium 4 3,0Ghz processor, an Abit VT7 motherboard, use XP professional,
and have a Seagate 160GB hard drive. When I run my most demanding programs
and monitor the system info program that came with the motherboard it shows
the 12volt monitor dropping and if it drops low enough, usually around 9.3
it locks up everything. I contacted Seagate and they had me disconnect
power to everything (fans,floppy, and DVD drives) but the hard drive and it
still did the same thing losing power. Other than a bad hard drive what
could be the problem and how would you check it without having to purchase
everything again and swapping it out? Seagate told me to replace the hard
drive but I was saving that as a last resort. Any help would be
appreciated.

Plato

madjack wrote:

Well, you did the right thing by disconnecting everything else to ID the
problem. As Jerry said you're really down to PS or HDD now. What I find
quite interesting is that Seagate actually had a "script" for that sort
of thing for their "phone techs" to follow and ask you to do. This leads
me to believe they are aware of the problem on that model drive but of
course, they will never admit it publically much less on the telephone.

I remember way, way back when WD put out a bad 1.6 gig drive. Every 1.6
gig drive made during that certain month would fail between 30 and 90
days after installing it. So, for the next 4 months we had to replace
every single 1.6 we put in out new systems. Every time we'd call WD for
the return authorization they'd try to walk us through the same steps
before they gave us the return #. This got really annoying.

> it locks up everything. I contacted Seagate and they had me disconnect
> power to everything (fans,floppy, and DVD drives) but the hard drive and it
> still did the same thing losing power. Other than a bad hard drive what
> could be the problem and how would you check it without having to purchase
> everything again and swapping it out? Seagate told me to replace the hard
> drive but I was saving that as a last resort. Any help would be
> appreciated.

madjack

Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:41bf211d$0$90473$(E-Mail Removed):

> madjack wrote:
>>

> Well, you did the right thing by disconnecting everything else to ID
> the problem. As Jerry said you're really down to PS or HDD now. What I
> find quite interesting is that Seagate actually had a "script" for
> that sort of thing for their "phone techs" to follow and ask you to
> do. This leads me to believe they are aware of the problem on that
> model drive but of course, they will never admit it publically much
> less on the telephone.

Thank you both for the help. I will try swapping out each of them one at a
time until I see which it was. I am just glad it should be one of the two
and not something like the motherboard.