Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > GeForce MX 4000

GeForce MX 4000

Scott Dunaway

Does anyone know if this card is any good? I'm thinking of buying one
for my parents computer, for gaming mainly. How does it compare to the
Geforce 2 series?

-------------
Scott D.

Jim Berwick

Scott Dunaway <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Does anyone know if this card is any good? I'm thinking of buying one
> for my parents computer, for gaming mainly. How does it compare to the
> Geforce 2 series?

Slightly faster than a GF2, it's really not a great card for the money. If
you are interested in any type of new games (HL2, Doom3, etc), you will
want to get a newer nVidia 5xxx series of card or an ATI 9600 or better.
What price range are you looking in so I can make a recommendation for you?

Kyote

>What price range are you looking in so I can make a recommendation for you?

Well, the GeForce MX 4000 is only $9.99 after the mail in rebate at
Tigerdirect.com. I figured it was worth it. I mean I paid $89.99 for
mine from Circuit city over a year ago for a GeForce2 MX and I've
been pleased with it. I really wasn't planning on getting my folks a
graphics card until I went to tigerdirect. Do you know if the 4000 is
better than the GeForce2 MX ?

-------------
Scott D.

mcp6453

Jim Berwick wrote:

> Slightly faster than a GF2, it's really not a great card for the money. If
> you are interested in any type of new games (HL2, Doom3, etc), you will
> want to get a newer nVidia 5xxx series of card or an ATI 9600 or better.
> What price range are you looking in so I can make a recommendation for you?

I'd be interested in your recommendation for <$200 street price.

Jim Berwick

Kyote <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Well, the GeForce MX 4000 is only $9.99 after the mail in rebate at
> Tigerdirect.com. I figured it was worth it. I mean I paid $89.99 for
> mine from Circuit city over a year ago for a GeForce2 MX and I've
> been pleased with it. I really wasn't planning on getting my folks a
> graphics card until I went to tigerdirect. Do you know if the 4000 is
> better than the GeForce2 MX ?

Definitely better than the GF2MX, and well worth $10. I thought you were
getting a $50 card, in which case the GF4MX is trash. For $10, great deal

Jim Berwick

mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'd be interested in your recommendation for <$200 street price.

If you look hard enough, you should be able to get a Radeon 9800 Pro in
that range. Assuming "Street price" means "shop online at a store like
newegg.com". If you literally mean walking into a retail store, I have /no
idea/ how much they charge for stuff.