Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Problem with AVG free version 7

Problem with AVG free version 7

Denise

Hi all,

I'm running xp sp2, and am having trouble getting the latest version of AVG
free to run properly. When I install it, it says it's installed
successfully, but when I go to update the definitions, it tells me to reboot
and that's when the problem starts. On reboot, as windows is restarting, a
blue screen (that looks different from the old blue screen of death) pops up
right after the screen that says windows xp home edition. It flashes by so
quickly that I can't read it, and then it causes the computer to restart
again. This time, it will tell me that windows couldn't start and ask me if
I want to start in safe mode, etc. If I choose to go back to the last good
settings, AVG is still there and everything, but the resident shield is
disabled and I can find no way to start it, and it tells me that I need to
reboot to finish that update I started. If I reboot, it tells me the same
thing again--that the resident shield is disabled. And if I try to click
the update button, it tells me that something went wrong with the
installation and to install it again. I've completely deleted everything to
do with AVG (short of going into the registry, which I know NOTHING about)
and reinstalled about 5 times now, and the same thing keeps happening.

So here are my questions: does anyone know what's going wrong with AVG and
how I can fix it and get a good install? I've been very pleased with AVG in
all the time I've been using it (which is a good couple of years now) and
would like to stay with it, but if I can't get it to work, does anyone know
of another good free antivirus?

Sorry I'm so long-winded, this has been bugging me all last night and today
and still I have no solution. Also, if anymore info is needed about my
setup, just let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Denise

Newfdog

Denise wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running xp sp2, and am having trouble getting the latest version of AVG
> free to run properly. When I install it, it says it's installed
> successfully, but when I go to update the definitions, it tells me to reboot
> and that's when the problem starts. On reboot, as windows is restarting, a
> blue screen (that looks different from the old blue screen of death) pops up
> right after the screen that says windows xp home edition. It flashes by so
> quickly that I can't read it, and then it causes the computer to restart
> again. This time, it will tell me that windows couldn't start and ask me if
> I want to start in safe mode, etc. If I choose to go back to the last good
> settings, AVG is still there and everything, but the resident shield is
> disabled and I can find no way to start it, and it tells me that I need to
> reboot to finish that update I started. If I reboot, it tells me the same
> thing again--that the resident shield is disabled. And if I try to click
> the update button, it tells me that something went wrong with the
> installation and to install it again. I've completely deleted everything to
> do with AVG (short of going into the registry, which I know NOTHING about)
> and reinstalled about 5 times now, and the same thing keeps happening.
>
> So here are my questions: does anyone know what's going wrong with AVG and
> how I can fix it and get a good install? I've been very pleased with AVG in
> all the time I've been using it (which is a good couple of years now) and
> would like to stay with it, but if I can't get it to work, does anyone know
> of another good free antivirus?
>
> Sorry I'm so long-winded, this has been bugging me all last night and today
> and still I have no solution. Also, if anymore info is needed about my
> setup, just let me know.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Denise

Hey Denise.... I had a problem with AVG 7 also. It turned out to be a
conflict with Zone Alarm. I had a successful install by choosing to
leave out the email scanner. It has worked fine for a couple of weeks
now. This might help .

Newfdog

k35454

"Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SO9sd.95$(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Try http://www.free-av.com free, daily updates, and it
works for me (W98SE).

Denise

Newfdog wrote:
> Hey Denise.... I had a problem with AVG 7 also. It turned out to be a

conflict with Zone Alarm. I had a successful install by choosing to
leave out
the email scanner. It has worked fine for a couple of weeks now. This
might
help .

Hi Newf, thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately, I just tried it, but the same thing happened (that
stupid blue screen is starting to get on my nerves). I think you're
exactly right though, in that it's a conflict with Zone Alarm. I
updated AVG last night and it worked fine enough to do a complete
system scan. Then I updated Zone Alarm and it all went to hell and
the problems persist. Blah.

Depressed that two of her favorite *free* programs seem to dislike
each other,

Denise

dan

I am having the exact same blue screen thing on reboot, except that I can
never go into Windows under any mode. I am not using AVG though. I will have
to be wiping out the whole hard drive to fix it.

"Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Newfdog wrote:
>> Hey Denise.... I had a problem with AVG 7 also. It turned out to be a

> conflict with Zone Alarm. I had a successful install by choosing to
> leave out
> the email scanner. It has worked fine for a couple of weeks now. This
> might
> help .
>
> Hi Newf, thanks for your quick reply.
>
> Unfortunately, I just tried it, but the same thing happened (that
> stupid blue screen is starting to get on my nerves). I think you're
> exactly right though, in that it's a conflict with Zone Alarm. I
> updated AVG last night and it worked fine enough to do a complete
> system scan. Then I updated Zone Alarm and it all went to hell and
> the problems persist. Blah.
>
> Depressed that two of her favorite *free* programs seem to dislike
> each other,
>
> Denise

Plato

dan wrote:

ditto the new avg dont like getting along with zone alarm. Must be due
to the fact that AVG just got in bed with Kerio

ps even a registry restore wont fix the damage.

Denise

"k35454" wrote:
Try http://www.free-av.com free, daily updates, and it works for me (W98SE).

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

Denise

ShyDavid

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Denise) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> "k35454" wrote:
> Try http://www.free-av.com free, daily updates, and it works for me (W98SE).
>
> Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.
>
> Denise

I installed version 7 Free Edition two days ago under Windows 98se
Zone Alarm 2.1.44 and it has been working flawlessly. I suspect the
problem is with Windows XP and/or the newer version of ZoneAlarm---
Grisoft may not have tested the software enough under XP and/or
ZoneAlarm. Hell, Grisoft may not have tested it with ZoneAlarm at all.

frank ashton

You have been sp2d try turning of security centre on sp2 . if it works ok
which it will turn it off in run msconfig , they both work fine on 1 of my
computers, but sp2 was installed straight after basic instal with office xp
"Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SO9sd.95$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running xp sp2, and am having trouble getting the latest version of

AVG
> free to run properly. When I install it, it says it's installed
> successfully, but when I go to update the definitions, it tells me to

reboot
> and that's when the problem starts. On reboot, as windows is restarting,

> blue screen (that looks different from the old blue screen of death) pops

up
> right after the screen that says windows xp home edition. It flashes by

so
> quickly that I can't read it, and then it causes the computer to restart
> again. This time, it will tell me that windows couldn't start and ask me

if
> I want to start in safe mode, etc. If I choose to go back to the last

good
> settings, AVG is still there and everything, but the resident shield is
> disabled and I can find no way to start it, and it tells me that I need to
> reboot to finish that update I started. If I reboot, it tells me the same
> thing again--that the resident shield is disabled. And if I try to click
> the update button, it tells me that something went wrong with the
> installation and to install it again. I've completely deleted everything

> do with AVG (short of going into the registry, which I know NOTHING about)
> and reinstalled about 5 times now, and the same thing keeps happening.
>
> So here are my questions: does anyone know what's going wrong with AVG

and
> how I can fix it and get a good install? I've been very pleased with AVG

in
> all the time I've been using it (which is a good couple of years now) and
> would like to stay with it, but if I can't get it to work, does anyone

know
> of another good free antivirus?
>
> Sorry I'm so long-winded, this has been bugging me all last night and

today
> and still I have no solution. Also, if anymore info is needed about my
> setup, just let me know.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Denise

Jimmy

frank ashton wrote:
> You have been sp2d try turning of security centre on sp2 . if it works ok
> which it will turn it off in run msconfig , they both work fine on 1 of my
> computers, but sp2 was installed straight after basic instal with office xp
> "Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SO9sd.95$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm running xp sp2, and am having trouble getting the latest version of

> AVG
>
>>free to run properly. When I install it, it says it's installed
>>successfully, but when I go to update the definitions, it tells me to

> reboot
>
>>and that's when the problem starts. On reboot, as windows is restarting,

>>blue screen (that looks different from the old blue screen of death) pops

> up
>
>>right after the screen that says windows xp home edition. It flashes by

> so
>
>>quickly that I can't read it, and then it causes the computer to restart
>>again. This time, it will tell me that windows couldn't start and ask me

> if
>
>>I want to start in safe mode, etc. If I choose to go back to the last

> good
>
>>settings, AVG is still there and everything, but the resident shield is
>>disabled and I can find no way to start it, and it tells me that I need to
>>reboot to finish that update I started. If I reboot, it tells me the same
>>thing again--that the resident shield is disabled. And if I try to click
>>the update button, it tells me that something went wrong with the
>>installation and to install it again. I've completely deleted everything

>>do with AVG (short of going into the registry, which I know NOTHING about)
>>and reinstalled about 5 times now, and the same thing keeps happening.
>>
>>So here are my questions: does anyone know what's going wrong with AVG

> and
>
>>how I can fix it and get a good install? I've been very pleased with AVG

> in
>
>>all the time I've been using it (which is a good couple of years now) and
>>would like to stay with it, but if I can't get it to work, does anyone

> know
>
>>of another good free antivirus?
>>
>>Sorry I'm so long-winded, this has been bugging me all last night and

> today
>
>>and still I have no solution. Also, if anymore info is needed about my
>>setup, just let me know.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>
>>Denise

I'm running ZA and AVG7 on XPP with email scanner running, no problems,
suggest possible spyware removal process?