Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > KVM extender and switch problem

KVM extender and switch problem

James Hanley

I bought a zonet 4 port kvm switch - that works.
I've got a blackbox kvm extender - that works.
*but they don't work together very well - they work but I can't access
the switch's hotkeys*

I've also got a blackbox kvm switch that dtoesn't work at all. So
forget that.

Even with the 2 working things. When using the zonet switch with the
blackbox extender, the keyboard hotkeys don't work on the switch. i
have to run downstairs and hit the button on the switch to change
computers.

I'm buying stuff off ebay.co.uk I could get a belkin kvm switch, but
then there's no belkin kvm extender there. I dont want to spend more
than $70 on a switch or on an extender - hence ebay.

So, the way I see it, I have 3 options - listed in descending order of
preference 1=best - relatively speaking.
1)Buy many KVM Extenders and ethernet cables (one for each extender -
an extender for each computer). Have a kvm switch at my end.
2)Open up the zonet kvm switch pull the push-button off and attach a
long wire into my room with a switch at the end that I can use.
3)Build a Rude Goldberg contraption that will let me squeeze the
switch from upstairs.

All the options are aweful. Even option 1 is expensive and leads to
loads of cables running up the stairs.
I've no background in electronics so am not inclined towards option 2
and it may lead to me breaking the switch - the pun holds too. Forget
option 3, it'd be too messy.

I want to stick to a serious idea, like option 1, or an alternative.
And probably want to avoid doing electronics project myself.

Any ideas?!!!

Mark Shaw

"James Hanley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I bought a zonet 4 port kvm switch - that works.
> I've got a blackbox kvm extender - that works.
> *but they don't work together very well - they work but I can't access
> the switch's hotkeys*
>
> I've also got a blackbox kvm switch that dtoesn't work at all. So
> forget that.
>
> Even with the 2 working things. When using the zonet switch with the
> blackbox extender, the keyboard hotkeys don't work on the switch. i
> have to run downstairs and hit the button on the switch to change
> computers.
>
> I'm buying stuff off ebay.co.uk I could get a belkin kvm switch, but
> then there's no belkin kvm extender there. I dont want to spend more
> than $70 on a switch or on an extender - hence ebay.
>
> So, the way I see it, I have 3 options - listed in descending order of
> preference 1=best - relatively speaking.
> 1)Buy many KVM Extenders and ethernet cables (one for each extender -
> an extender for each computer). Have a kvm switch at my end.
> 2)Open up the zonet kvm switch pull the push-button off and attach a
> long wire into my room with a switch at the end that I can use.
> 3)Build a Rude Goldberg contraption that will let me squeeze the
> switch from upstairs.
>
> All the options are aweful. Even option 1 is expensive and leads to
> loads of cables running up the stairs.
> I've no background in electronics so am not inclined towards option 2
> and it may lead to me breaking the switch - the pun holds too. Forget
> option 3, it'd be too messy.
>
> I want to stick to a serious idea, like option 1, or an alternative.
> And probably want to avoid doing electronics project myself.
>
> Any ideas?!!!

KVM: either spend money on decent equipment and stick with the one supplier,
or enjoy the exercise of going up and downstairs all the time, or move all
your computers upstairs or migrate to software kvm, eg TightVNC.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

Mark Shaw wrote:
> "James Hanley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I bought a zonet 4 port kvm switch - that works.
> > I've got a blackbox kvm extender - that works.
> > *but they don't work together very well - they work but I can't

access
> > the switch's hotkeys*

<snip> > > Any ideas?!!!

> KVM: either spend money on decent equipment and stick with the one

supplier,
> or enjoy the exercise of going up and downstairs all the time, or

move all
> your computers upstairs or migrate to software kvm, eg TightVNC.

The equipment's very good and reliable.
It turned out that the scroll lock key required to switch computers on
the kvm switch is also used to reset the kvm extender. On the bottom of
the kvm extender are 2 DIP switches. Setting DIP switch #2 to ON
disabled that feature, allowing the scroll lock to act like all the
other keys. There was no compatibility problem.

KVM Switch and Horizontal span? Mr User Computer Support 2 01-11-2007 08:13 PM
KVM switch query doS Computer Support 3 04-23-2005 05:56 PM
need help with kvm switch yawnmoth Computer Information 2 09-25-2004 11:46 PM
KVM switch moses Computer Support 1 11-11-2003 10:33 AM
KVM switch vs TightVNC? john63401@yahoo.com MCSE 8 08-05-2003 11:17 PM

Advertisments