Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > dsl versus cable and other common problem

dsl versus cable and other common problem

mcs

I have seen the comments and I have tried both cable and dsl and if you ask
me they are
close to the same. The main issues are speed and correct settings. Internet
service providers must spend more time to get settings right. Each tech
support staff doesn't always know how to attain best settings to each
different computer. I am not sure though that they need to have a different
standard for each computer though as oppossed to just having competent staff
who can correctly diagnosis each problem. I do think tech staff is poorly
trained at Verizon too often mostly because they don't know how to diagnosis
conflicts in puters and especially network. Sometimes your computer comes
installed with a network card thats different then the one you need like
Netgear for example. If you then install two you might get conflict. Do you
have settings right in communication ports for dsl or cable? . That said the
speed for dsl is ok if you have your
puter in good shape and comparable to cable in my opinion. . Some things to
think about:
Is your network ethernet card installed correctly, is your dsl software
installed correctly, is your communication ports installed for network? The
bottom line is so many things can interfere with speed that its up to the
individual staff for each isp to help consumer utilize fast service
especially when it comes to network settings and properties settings in
device manager. I have been told so many wrong
things from Verizon staff and its interesting how each person rationalizes
the problems . The staff is so full of themselves and they are wrong too
often. Thats not to say there are some good people at Verizon also. I am
just glad I was able to get this going without buying a new puter every time
I needed to. Ulitmately I didnt have to replace my old compact computer
like I was told and it runs nicely when no conflicts in computer is
present.If you get a virus or spy that you can't get rid of, just take yur
installation disk out and start all over. You might have to reinstall all
your programs but its worth it. Believe it or not I still don't know how to
use backup .
I just wonder how many people give up on their puter because of spyware or
because of wrong settings. I would also NOT download any system accelator or
antispyware program I am not sure about.. I rarely find its the box or the
home unit that causes the problems, more likely the computer or network
settings or settings in device manager. I find a good firewall and maybe
even a good anti spy program and
updates from microsoft is all you need. Another suggestion : if you come
across a program that won't let you continue unless you click on " download"
or it freezes your screen, or you know is dangerous, don't click on
download or anywhere in that box , instead do this: , click on Control ,
then Alt, and delete at the same time. Then you
will see where you can end the task for that page your on. Push end the task
and your computer will take you out of that danger point before you mess
your puter up. Steve

Ross Durie

Simply use a tool/registry patch from somewhere like
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php. I'm not actually sure what problems
people have as have never had one. Just plug router into switch, computer
into switch, configure router and away you go. Never had a virus (use NAV
2003), never had spyware (use Spybot).

I'm not sure about what you mean by "different than the one you need" as
NICs are generic and should work with any compatible network equipment. What
"dsl software"? you shouldn't have any, use a router.

DSL services in some countries are comparable to cable services, e.g., in
New Zealand (only specific areas have cable) cable services are limited to 2
Mbps down. http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/produc...net/highspeed/

An older expensive full speed DSL service provides me with in access of 6
Mbps down/768 kps up - @ $80 Pacific pesos/month (NZ$1 = US$0.71). The most
popular/cheap DSL plans here were only running at 256 kbps but have now been
replaced with various restricted (no static IP and slow uplink of 192 kbps)
256k/1 M/2 Mbps (this last one may be a full speed plan but I doubt it)
plans. http://www.telecom.co.nz/jsplans

--
Ross
"mcs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Xicrd.2285$zK1.896@trndny05...
> [...]

or
> antispyware program I am not sure about.. I rarely find its the box or the
> home unit that causes the problems, more likely the computer or network
> settings or settings in device manager. I find a good firewall and maybe
> even a good anti spy program and
> updates from microsoft is all you need. Another suggestion : if you come
> across a program that won't let you continue unless you click on "

download"
> or it freezes your screen, or you know is dangerous, don't click on
> download or anywhere in that box , instead do this: , click on Control ,
> then Alt, and delete at the same time. Then you
> will see where you can end the task for that page your on. Push end the

task
> and your computer will take you out of that danger point before you mess

mcs

Ross to tell you the truth I was hoping to start a thread about which is
better, cable or dsl. . I honestly have negatives and positives about dsl.I
have no idea what the benefits of a router are and is, sorry. Some older
computers like mine can have issues using Windows 98. I probably will
definitely upgrade - what to the AMD atheon 64 chip processors by end of
year or beginning of next year when more computers come out using them and
they get a bit more inexpensive. The chips I heard are as cheap as the 3200
processors but they are not tried and tested with software and memory I
guess long enough , .. at least thats what I was told . Steve
"Ross Durie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Eodrd.19172$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> or
> > antispyware program I am not sure about.. I rarely find its the box or

the
> > home unit that causes the problems, more likely the computer or network
> > settings or settings in device manager. I find a good firewall and maybe
> > even a good anti spy program and
> > updates from microsoft is all you need. Another suggestion : if you come
> > across a program that won't let you continue unless you click on "

> download"
> > or it freezes your screen, or you know is dangerous, don't click on
> > download or anywhere in that box , instead do this: , click on Control ,
> > then Alt, and delete at the same time. Then you
> > will see where you can end the task for that page your on. Push end the

> task
> > and your computer will take you out of that danger point before you mess

Ross Durie

The only 98 issue was to do with an upgrade from 95 and the older versin of
Winsock. Simply upgrade it. I have 3 PCs in a LAN runing 98SE, XP Pro, 2K
Pro, 2K Server, NT Workstation, Fedora Core 3 and have never had any
problems with DSL.

So tell me about these bad things in more detail.

--

,
> > > then Alt, and delete at the same time. Then you
> > > will see where you can end the task for that page your on. Push end

the
> > task
> > > and your computer will take you out of that danger point before you

mess
> > > your puter up. Steve

dan

Cable receives faster speeds and especially during downloads.

"Ross Durie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NKxrd.21494$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> in
>> > New Zealand (only specific areas have cable) cable services are limited

>> 2
>> > Mbps down. http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/produc...net/highspeed/
>> >
>> > An older expensive full speed DSL service provides me with in access of

> 6
>> > Mbps down/768 kps up - @ $80 Pacific pesos/month (NZ$1 = US$0.71). The

>> most
>> > popular/cheap DSL plans here were only running at 256 kbps but have now

>> been
>> > replaced with various restricted (no static IP and slow uplink of 192

>> kbps)
>> > 256k/1 M/2 Mbps (this last one may be a full speed plan but I doubt it)
>> > plans. http://www.telecom.co.nz/jsplans
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ross
>> > "mcs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Ross Durie

What do you mean by fast given I get 6 Mbps from a DSL connection.

--
Ross
"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> [...]

is
> >> better, cable or dsl. . I honestly have negatives and positives about

> > dsl.I
> >> have no idea what the benefits of a router are and is, sorry. Some

older
> >> computers like mine can have issues using Windows 98. I probably will
> >> definitely upgrade - what to the AMD atheon 64 chip processors by end

of
> >> year or beginning of next year when more computers come out using them
> >> and
> >> they get a bit more inexpensive. The chips I heard are as cheap as the

> > 3200
> >> processors but they are not tried and tested with software and memory I
> >> guess long enough , .. at least thats what I was told . Steve
> >> "Ross Durie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Thor

"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Cable receives faster speeds and especially during downloads.

not necessarily. DSL typically is offered in a variety of bandwidth options,
many far exceed what you typically get from cable service.

Jim Berwick

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> not necessarily. DSL typically is offered in a variety of bandwidth
> options, many far exceed what you typically get from cable service.

Right. Depending on the price level, and area. In my area, cable is
$40/month, DSL is $32.95/month. Cable is 3mbit/192k, DSL is between
768k/128k, 1.5mbit/128k, 1.5mbit/384k (all DSL here is the same price). My
employer does have some special needs DSL customers that pay us a boatload
more for a 7mbit connection. Can't generally lump things like this out and
say one is better than the other, it all depends on the circumstances.

root@candle.pha.pa.us

In phl.media Jim Berwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

:> not necessarily. DSL typically is offered in a variety of bandwidth
:> options, many far exceed what you typically get from cable service.
:>

: Right. Depending on the price level, and area. In my area, cable is
: $40/month, DSL is $32.95/month. Cable is 3mbit/192k, DSL is between
: 768k/128k, 1.5mbit/128k, 1.5mbit/384k (all DSL here is the same price). My
: employer does have some special needs DSL customers that pay us a boatload
: more for a 7mbit connection. Can't generally lump things like this out and
: say one is better than the other, it all depends on the circumstances.

I need a static IP where I can run my own mail/web server. Cable
doesn't offer that at all, while it can be bought with DSL.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | (610) 359-1001

Jim Berwick

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in newsbNrd.5607$Pd2.2345593
@monger.newsread.com:

> I need a static IP where I can run my own mail/web server. Cable
> doesn't offer that at all, while it can be bought with DSL.

In my area, comcast offers a "business" cable deal, for like $20/month more
you get 4 static IPs, I believe. While my employer's DSL comes with a
static IP, running a server is forbidden and grounds for suspension.