Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New XPC power supply questions

New XPC power supply questions

Poor Lost Soul

So, I'm building myself a new PC with one of the Shuttle cases, and
I'm wondering if the power supply will be hefty enough? It's a 240
watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

derek / nul

On 29 Nov 2004 09:37:43 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Poor Lost Soul) wrote:

>So, I'm building myself a new PC with one of the Shuttle cases, and
>I'm wondering if the power supply will be hefty enough? It's a 240
>watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
>CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
>NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

nVidia suggest a minimum of 480 when building with a 6800

Thor

"Poor Lost Soul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> So, I'm building myself a new PC with one of the Shuttle cases, and
> I'm wondering if the power supply will be hefty enough? It's a 240
> watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
> CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
> NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

A 240W PSU isn't nearly big enough for those kinds of components. I'd go
with a 450W.

Poor Lost Soul

derek / nul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 29 Nov 2004 09:37:43 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Poor Lost Soul) wrote:
>
> >So, I'm building myself a new PC with one of the Shuttle cases, and
> >I'm wondering if the power supply will be hefty enough? It's a 240
> >watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
> >CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
> >NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

> nVidia suggest a minimum of 480 when building with a 6800

Dammit, that's what I was afraid of... Does anyone know where I can
get a larger PSU that'll fit into a XPC case?

Hank Sniadoch

Target.
"Poor Lost Soul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> derek / nul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> On 29 Nov 2004 09:37:43 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Poor Lost Soul)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >So, I'm building myself a new PC with one of the Shuttle cases, and
>> >I'm wondering if the power supply will be hefty enough? It's a 240
>> >watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
>> >CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
>> >NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

>> nVidia suggest a minimum of 480 when building with a 6800

> Dammit, that's what I was afraid of... Does anyone know where I can
> get a larger PSU that'll fit into a XPC case?

dan

I'd go with a 500. Look at newegg.com for power supplies or just buy a
better case.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Poor Lost Soul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> So, I'm building myself a new PC with one of the Shuttle cases, and
>> I'm wondering if the power supply will be hefty enough? It's a 240
>> watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
>> CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
>> NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

> A 240W PSU isn't nearly big enough for those kinds of components. I'd go
> with a 450W.

Thor

"Poor Lost Soul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> derek / nul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> On 29 Nov 2004 09:37:43 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Poor Lost Soul)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >So, I'm building myself a new PC with one of the Shuttle cases, and
>> >I'm wondering if the power supply will be hefty enough? It's a 240
>> >watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
>> >CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
>> >NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

>> nVidia suggest a minimum of 480 when building with a 6800

> Dammit, that's what I was afraid of... Does anyone know where I can
> get a larger PSU that'll fit into a XPC case?

Would suggest checking this company out.
http://www.quickmicro.com/products/d...964&cc=bundles It's
the only one I've seen that offers up to a 350W XPC power supply in their
cases. XPC power supplies are proprietary to Shuttle AFAIK, so you don't
find too many non-shuttle power supplies around in XPC form factor. The XPC
power supply form factor is very close to the 1U rackmount supply design,
but they differ in dimensions slightly, and I'm not sure a 1U would fit in
an XPC case. They are very similar visually. You can check out a 400W 1U
supply here and look at the dimensions to decide for yourself if you think
it would fit.
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...ndex_hp_1u.htm