Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer reboot problem

Computer reboot problem

dan

Please only respond with answers are questions, not spam.

dan

I'll pop this RAM in to check. I guess I will find out if the problem is the
hard drive if it still does not work after writing 0s. I'll try a few things
to diagnose it. Thanks for all of your help Thor.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> It won't let me get that far tp reformat. I get the rror before the
>> reformat screen comes up.

> then you have big problems. I'd be investigating bad RAM or bad harddrive
> to start with.

dan

I have the hard drive in this computer now and I backed everythign up. Now I
am tryign to find a utility that writes zeros to the hard drive. I think you
are supposed to get that utility from the manufacturer, but I cannot find
MDT's website. Will have manufacturer's program work for wirting zeros? Does
anyone know MDT's website. Thanks.
"Mark Mandell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dk5qd.1846$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

> "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsX2qd.676399$8_6.428255@attbi_s04...
>> Ok, I have all that. Will it overwrite any documents on the computer?
>> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> you are thinking of running the recovery console. That's not what I'm
>>> suggesting. You need to choose to set up windows, and then you will have
>>> the option of doing a repair install. That doesn't require a password,
>>> although you will need your product key from the CD.
>>>

> The only thing you have to concern yourself with is reinstalling the
> Windows updates after the repair/install is completed.

Thor

"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsrpsd.715522$8_6.261255@attbi_s04...
>I have the hard drive in this computer now and I backed everythign up. Now
>I am tryign to find a utility that writes zeros to the hard drive. I think
>you are supposed to get that utility from the manufacturer, but I cannot
>find MDT's website. Will have manufacturer's program work for wirting
>zeros? Does anyone know MDT's website. Thanks.

what is the manufacturer of the harddrive?

Plato

Thor wrote:

> >I have the hard drive in this computer now and I backed everythign up. Now
> >I am tryign to find a utility that writes zeros to the hard drive. I think

> what is the manufacturer of the harddrive?

Any zero fill will do:
http://www.bootdisk.com/1533/zerofill.zip

Jeeze hope that the new avg7 dont put a sig in here as I'm in the middle
of testing at the moment with ZA.

dan

The manufacturer is MDT. Bootdisk.com is charging me $4 for it, so I prefer
a free one.

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:41b46623$0$90398$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
>>
>> >I have the hard drive in this computer now and I backed everythign up.
>> >Now
>> >I am tryign to find a utility that writes zeros to the hard drive. I
>> >think

>> what is the manufacturer of the harddrive?

> Any zero fill will do:
> http://www.bootdisk.com/1533/zerofill.zip
>
> Jeeze hope that the new avg7 dont put a sig in here as I'm in the middle
> of testing at the moment with ZA.

Thor

never heard of MDT harddrives. Found their website after reading your reply.
Pretty damn obscure little brand. Their website is about useless. As for
bootdisk.com, I wasn't aware that he started to charge for access to some
hosted utilities. Sorry to hear it.

"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsqNtd.162936$5K2.141439@attbi_s03...
> The manufacturer is MDT. Bootdisk.com is charging me $4 for it, so I
> prefer a free one.

dan

I was able to find a free utility after doing a lot of searching. I have yet
to do it, but probably will tomorrow or this weekend. Out of curiousity,
what was their website? I looked for a while. Thanks.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> never heard of MDT harddrives. Found their website after reading your
> reply. Pretty damn obscure little brand. Their website is about useless.
> As for bootdisk.com, I wasn't aware that he started to charge for access
> to some hosted utilities. Sorry to hear it.
>

> "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsqNtd.162936$5K2.141439@attbi_s03...
>> The manufacturer is MDT. Bootdisk.com is charging me $4 for it, so I
>> prefer a free one.

Thor

>I was able to find a free utility after doing a lot of searching. I have
>yet to do it, but probably will tomorrow or this weekend. Out of
>curiousity, what was their website? I looked for a while. Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/5wyv9

They do have downloadable EZ-Drive setup disk. But that's about the extent
of their support utilities. I thought you had already checked their website,
otherwise I would have direct you there initially. Sorry.