Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer reboot problem

Computer reboot problem

Trent©

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:10:03 GMT, "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a Windows XP Home computer that I built that is about a year old.
>Today, was on internet and it restarted randomly without an error message.
>Then it booted into disk check, then after a while (not sure if it was done)
>it rebooted again and since then has been going into an unusual reboot
>cycle. It goes through BIOS, goes into the Windows XP Home loading screen,
>and then a blue error screen shows up for less than a tenth of a second, so
>making it impossible to read, and starts over with this cycle. I have
>honestly no idea what is happening here. Does anyone know what I can do to
>fix this? Thanks in advance.

Connect it to another machine as a slave and run a thorough virus
check.

Have a nice one...

Trent

dan

I'm not sure how to do the repair install. I put the CD in and it said my
options were to setup Windows XP now, to run the recovery console, or the
quit. You said there was also a repair install. Anyway, I hit R for the
recovery console, then told it the installation I wanted to repair, and then
the error message came up that comes up every reboot of the reboot cycle.
But instead of coming up for a tenth of a second it stayed up, so I wrote it
down. It said:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

REGISTRY_ERROR

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your
computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to see if any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this
is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any
Windows Updates you may need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or
software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you
need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your
computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options and then slsect safe
mode.

Technical Information

*** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000,
0xE11EE000

I tried doing what it said to do in BIOS, but that didn't change anything.
Safe mode does not work, I get the same reboot cycle where it goes through
BIOS, to the Windows XP Home loading screen, then shows the blue error
message for a tenth of a second and then starts over. I googled the techinal
information code and other parts of the error, but it says stuff about going
in to the Recovery Console, but I am unable to do that, because it shows the
message. If I put the hard drive into this computer, what can be done to fix
it? Or is there something I can do on that computer to get it to work
without reinstalling Windows. Thanks.

"Trent©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:10:03 GMT, "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a Windows XP Home computer that I built that is about a year old.
>>Today, was on internet and it restarted randomly without an error message.
>>Then it booted into disk check, then after a while (not sure if it was
>>done)
>>it rebooted again and since then has been going into an unusual reboot
>>cycle. It goes through BIOS, goes into the Windows XP Home loading screen,
>>and then a blue error screen shows up for less than a tenth of a second,
>>so
>>making it impossible to read, and starts over with this cycle. I have
>>honestly no idea what is happening here. Does anyone know what I can do to
>>fix this? Thanks in advance.
>>

> Connect it to another machine as a slave and run a thorough virus
> check.
>

> Have a nice one...
>
> Trent
>
> Budweiser: Helping ugly people have sex since 1876!

Thor

"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newstqqd.680738$8_6.376986@attbi_s04...
> I'm not sure how to do the repair install. I put the CD in and it said my
> options were to setup Windows XP now, to run the recovery console, or the
> quit. You said there was also a repair install.

I told you exactly how to do it, if you had followed my instructions. As I
stated before, you have to choose to set up windows, THEN it gives you the
option of a repair install. This is NOT the same option as repairing via
recovery console. From the message you are getting, you have a corrupted
registry. This can be due to a really bad software problem, or it could
easily be hardware-related. Bad RAM, or failing harddrive, incorrect memory
timing settings in the BIOS, etc. Try the repair install, and see what you
get out of that.

dan

Sorry, I didn't catch that in your other post. When I made the computer, I
used cheap parts and that has had a number of issues. Luckily, I used better
parts with this one. I'll try the repair install now, and post what happens
after that. I hope it lets me get that far. Thanks very much for all of your
support with this problem.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newstqqd.680738$8_6.376986@attbi_s04...
>> I'm not sure how to do the repair install. I put the CD in and it said my
>> options were to setup Windows XP now, to run the recovery console, or the
>> quit. You said there was also a repair install.

> I told you exactly how to do it, if you had followed my instructions. As I
> stated before, you have to choose to set up windows, THEN it gives you the
> option of a repair install. This is NOT the same option as repairing via
> recovery console. From the message you are getting, you have a corrupted
> registry. This can be due to a really bad software problem, or it could
> easily be hardware-related. Bad RAM, or failing harddrive, incorrect
> memory timing settings in the BIOS, etc. Try the repair install, and see
> what you get out of that.

dan

More news! It won't let me do a repair install! The problem is strarting to
look very bad. I boot up with the XP CD, choose Setup Windows Now, and then
after around 30 seconds the same:

*** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000,
0xE11EE000

Error comes up. It also shows REGISTRY_ERROR. The way it looks now, I will
not even be able to reinstall and reformat without running one of those
utilites that writes 0s to my hard drive because that error would come up.
Looks like I will have to put the hard drive in this computer, back some
files up, then run the utility, and reformat and reinstall Windows. Any
other ideas? Thanks.

newsAxrd.178735$HA.159198@attbi_s01...
> More news! It won't let me do a repair install! The problem is strarting
> to look very bad. I boot up with the XP CD, choose Setup Windows Now, and
> then after around 30 seconds the same:
>
> *** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000,
> 0xE11EE000
>
> Error comes up. It also shows REGISTRY_ERROR. The way it looks now, I will
> not even be able to reinstall and reformat without running one of those
> utilites that writes 0s to my hard drive because that error would come up.
> Looks like I will have to put the hard drive in this computer, back some
> files up, then run the utility, and reformat and reinstall Windows. Any
> other ideas? Thanks.

you are pretty much at the point where you need to attempt a clean install,
and if that fails, you have clear hardware problems. Back up your crucial
data, and simply run setup with the option to reformat the drive. Writing 0s
to the drive should be unnecessary.

Thagor

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsAxrd.178735$HA.159198@attbi_s01...
>> More news! It won't let me do a repair install! The problem is
>> strarting to look very bad. I boot up with the XP CD, choose Setup
>> Windows Now, and then after around 30 seconds the same:
>>
>> *** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000,
>> 0xE11EE000
>>
>> Error comes up. It also shows REGISTRY_ERROR. The way it looks now, I
>> will not even be able to reinstall and reformat without running one
>> of those utilites that writes 0s to my hard drive because that error
>> would come up. Looks like I will have to put the hard drive in this
>> computer, back some files up, then run the utility, and reformat and
>> reinstall Windows. Any other ideas? Thanks.

> you are pretty much at the point where you need to attempt a clean
> install, and if that fails, you have clear hardware problems. Back up
> your crucial data, and simply run setup with the option to reformat
> the drive. Writing 0s to the drive should be unnecessary.

Uh, you wouldn't have the BIOS controlled boot sector protection turned
on would you? Just a thought!
Also, why on Earth would you want to write zeros to the drive? If it will
format without errors, you are good to go. That is, if you really have to
do that...

dan

It won't let me get that far tp reformat. I get the rror before the reformat
screen comes up.

"Thagor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95B3D70A3774Bthagmailcoma@207.115.63.158.. .
> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newsAxrd.178735$HA.159198@attbi_s01...
>>> More news! It won't let me do a repair install! The problem is
>>> strarting to look very bad. I boot up with the XP CD, choose Setup
>>> Windows Now, and then after around 30 seconds the same:
>>>
>>> *** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000,
>>> 0xE11EE000
>>>
>>> Error comes up. It also shows REGISTRY_ERROR. The way it looks now, I
>>> will not even be able to reinstall and reformat without running one
>>> of those utilites that writes 0s to my hard drive because that error
>>> would come up. Looks like I will have to put the hard drive in this
>>> computer, back some files up, then run the utility, and reformat and
>>> reinstall Windows. Any other ideas? Thanks.

>> you are pretty much at the point where you need to attempt a clean
>> install, and if that fails, you have clear hardware problems. Back up
>> your crucial data, and simply run setup with the option to reformat
>> the drive. Writing 0s to the drive should be unnecessary.
>>

> Uh, you wouldn't have the BIOS controlled boot sector protection turned
> on would you? Just a thought!
> Also, why on Earth would you want to write zeros to the drive? If it will
> format without errors, you are good to go. That is, if you really have to
> do that...

brend

> It won't let me get that far tp reformat. I get the rror before the
> reformat screen comes up.

then you have big problems. I'd be investigating bad RAM or bad harddrive to
start with.