Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer reboot problem

Reply
Thread Tools

Computer reboot problem

 
 
dan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004
I have a Windows XP Home computer that I built that is about a year old.
Today, was on internet and it restarted randomly without an error message.
Then it booted into disk check, then after a while (not sure if it was done)
it rebooted again and since then has been going into an unusual reboot
cycle. It goes through BIOS, goes into the Windows XP Home loading screen,
and then a blue error screen shows up for less than a tenth of a second, so
making it impossible to read, and starts over with this cycle. I have
honestly no idea what is happening here. Does anyone know what I can do to
fix this? Thanks in advance.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004

"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vBPpd.672506$8_6.49255@attbi_s04...
>I have a Windows XP Home computer that I built that is about a year old.
>Today, was on internet and it restarted randomly without an error message.
>Then it booted into disk check, then after a while (not sure if it was
>done) it rebooted again and since then has been going into an unusual
>reboot cycle. It goes through BIOS, goes into the Windows XP Home loading
>screen, and then a blue error screen shows up for less than a tenth of a
>second, so making it impossible to read, and starts over with this cycle. I
>have honestly no idea what is happening here. Does anyone know what I can
>do to fix this? Thanks in advance.


First, you need to disable the auto-reboot feature. Yes it is a *feature*.
When WindowsXP encounters a fatal stop error, it automatically initiates a
reboot by default. You can disable this behavior by going into the system
properties (right-click "my computer" and choose "properties"), click
"advanced" and then "startup and recovery". Uncheck the "automatically
restart" option. Now, whenever that stop error returns, you should see a
blue stop error screen, hopefully with some useful information about what
driver or file is involved in the crash, and what stop error it is. When you
find out, post what the screen says *exactly*, and we may be able to give
you some ideas as to the cause.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004
I am unable to do that. As I said, I am unable to go into Windows, it stops
after a blue screen after the Windows XP loading screen. Any of the modes
(safe, normal, etc.), none of them work. Will I have to reinstall Windows as
a last resort?
"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vBPpd.672506$8_6.49255@attbi_s04...
>>I have a Windows XP Home computer that I built that is about a year old.
>>Today, was on internet and it restarted randomly without an error message.
>>Then it booted into disk check, then after a while (not sure if it was
>>done) it rebooted again and since then has been going into an unusual
>>reboot cycle. It goes through BIOS, goes into the Windows XP Home loading
>>screen, and then a blue error screen shows up for less than a tenth of a
>>second, so making it impossible to read, and starts over with this cycle.
>>I have honestly no idea what is happening here. Does anyone know what I
>>can do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

>
> First, you need to disable the auto-reboot feature. Yes it is a *feature*.
> When WindowsXP encounters a fatal stop error, it automatically initiates a
> reboot by default. You can disable this behavior by going into the system
> properties (right-click "my computer" and choose "properties"), click
> "advanced" and then "startup and recovery". Uncheck the "automatically
> restart" option. Now, whenever that stop error returns, you should see a
> blue stop error screen, hopefully with some useful information about what
> driver or file is involved in the crash, and what stop error it is. When
> you find out, post what the screen says *exactly*, and we may be able to
> give you some ideas as to the cause.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
derek / nul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:50:38 GMT, "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am unable to do that. As I said, I am unable to go into Windows, it stops
>after a blue screen after the Windows XP loading screen. Any of the modes
>(safe, normal, etc.), none of them work. Will I have to reinstall Windows as
>a last resort?


If you cannot get safe mode to work, then there are not a lot of options.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004

"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2YRpd.672915$8_6.175677@attbi_s04...
>I am unable to do that. As I said, I am unable to go into Windows, it stops
>after a blue screen after the Windows XP loading screen. Any of the modes
>(safe, normal, etc.), none of them work. Will I have to reinstall Windows
>as a last resort?


pop in your windows XP cd, boot up to it, choose to setup windows, then pick
the repair install option.




 
Reply With Quote
 
dan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004
When I do that, what do I do afterwards? I remember doing that on another
computer a while ago and could not get the admin password to work.
"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:2YRpd.672915$8_6.175677@attbi_s04...
>>I am unable to do that. As I said, I am unable to go into Windows, it
>>stops after a blue screen after the Windows XP loading screen. Any of the
>>modes (safe, normal, etc.), none of them work. Will I have to reinstall
>>Windows as a last resort?

>
> pop in your windows XP cd, boot up to it, choose to setup windows, then
> pick the repair install option.
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004

"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gwWpd.159515$R05.44418@attbi_s53...
> When I do that, what do I do afterwards? I remember doing that on another
> computer a while ago and could not get the admin password to work.


you are thinking of running the recovery console. That's not what I'm
suggesting. You need to choose to set up windows, and then you will have the
option of doing a repair install. That doesn't require a password, although
you will need your product key from the CD.




 
Reply With Quote
 
dan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004
Ok, I have all that. Will it overwrite any documents on the computer?
"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gwWpd.159515$R05.44418@attbi_s53...
>> When I do that, what do I do afterwards? I remember doing that on another
>> computer a while ago and could not get the admin password to work.

>
> you are thinking of running the recovery console. That's not what I'm
> suggesting. You need to choose to set up windows, and then you will have
> the option of doing a repair install. That doesn't require a password,
> although you will need your product key from the CD.
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004

"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsX2qd.676399$8_6.428255@attbi_s04...
> Ok, I have all that. Will it overwrite any documents on the computer?


the repair install will not.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Mandell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004

"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsX2qd.676399$8_6.428255@attbi_s04...
> Ok, I have all that. Will it overwrite any documents on the computer?
> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gwWpd.159515$R05.44418@attbi_s53...
>>> When I do that, what do I do afterwards? I remember doing that on
>>> another computer a while ago and could not get the admin password to
>>> work.

>>
>> you are thinking of running the recovery console. That's not what I'm
>> suggesting. You need to choose to set up windows, and then you will have
>> the option of doing a repair install. That doesn't require a password,
>> although you will need your product key from the CD.
>>

The only thing you have to concern yourself with is reinstalling the Windows
updates after the repair/install is completed.
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reboot, reboot, reboot Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 12 03-07-2009 11:35 PM
How to reboot my computer Kathleen Microsoft Certification 3 12-28-2007 01:45 PM
To reboot the PIX or not reboot - that is the question Darren Green Cisco 1 03-14-2006 10:59 PM
Spontaneous Reboot when no activity on computer? Nico Computer Support 3 07-07-2004 06:45 AM
computer reboot Keith Joly Computer Information 2 11-06-2003 03:44 AM



Advertisments