Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Asus a7n8x-x win98se ACPI vs APM cpu usage/conflicts

Asus a7n8x-x win98se ACPI vs APM cpu usage/conflicts

LiquidTension

Hi. I just did my 1st build (upgrade) . specs
CPU = AMD XP2700+
MOTHERBOARD = ASUS A7N8X-X - latest bios ver. 1010
RAM = 256 kingston ddr 400 PC3200
HEATSINK = stock @ 41-46 c
OS = win98se
POWER SUPPLY = antec 400W
VIDEO CARD = ati radeon 9600xt
SOUND CARD = SB LIVEvalue

If i load win98se normal it loads ACPI mode which in turn gives me 10
"problem devices" found in msinfo32....all of them being
"acpi irq holder for pci irq steering" at various reg key:
HKLM\enum\acpi\*pnpp0c0f\######## positions and my CPU usage pegs at
high %'s even just sitting idle.... not to mention a messy IRQ list
and alot of sharing.

There is nowhere in this bios to totally turn off ACPI mode that i can
see. So after googling win98se setup switches I ran across 'setup /p
i" which "tells setup not to report the existance of a plug and play
bios. useful on computers that have a PNP bios that is not reported in
the machine.inf file."

This loads win98se in standard APM mode (which is what i want) but,
running those switches "setup /p i" has caused my floppy controller
not to be loaded and floppy "drive a:using ms-dos compatibilty mode"
it seems the system is slight bit sluggish on boot with this condition
(running on virtual mem.). i dont really use my floppy at all, only
when reformating, but ......... i really dont want a device on virtual
memory as it slows down boot creating that part of the "system"

i can add new hardware wizard and choose a floppy controller but it
does not "mount" a Generic NEC floppy drive in device manager>disk
drives and keeps my floppy drive a:using ms-dos compatibilty
mode...furthermore it blue screens me if i remove the newly added
floppy controller....kinda makes sense, BOSD removing a part of my
"virtual memory" .

all i want is ACPI off & APM on, when setup is ran....any clues?
is it possible to remove ACPI somehow and revert to APM power mode?

Thor

"LiquidTension" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi. I just did my 1st build (upgrade) . specs
> CPU = AMD XP2700+
> MOTHERBOARD = ASUS A7N8X-X - latest bios ver. 1010
> RAM = 256 kingston ddr 400 PC3200
> HEATSINK = stock @ 41-46 c
> OS = win98se
> POWER SUPPLY = antec 400W
> VIDEO CARD = ati radeon 9600xt
> SOUND CARD = SB LIVEvalue
>

> If i load win98se normal it loads ACPI mode which in turn gives me 10
> "problem devices" found in msinfo32....all of them being
> "acpi irq holder for pci irq steering" at various reg key:
> HKLM\enum\acpi\*pnpp0c0f\######## positions and my CPU usage pegs at
> high %'s even just sitting idle.... not to mention a messy IRQ list
> and alot of sharing.
>
> There is nowhere in this bios to totally turn off ACPI mode that i can
> see. So after googling win98se setup switches I ran across 'setup /p
> i" which "tells setup not to report the existance of a plug and play
> bios. useful on computers that have a PNP bios that is not reported in
> the machine.inf file."
>
> This loads win98se in standard APM mode (which is what i want) but,
> running those switches "setup /p i" has caused my floppy controller
> not to be loaded and floppy "drive a:using ms-dos compatibilty mode"
> it seems the system is slight bit sluggish on boot with this condition
> (running on virtual mem.). i dont really use my floppy at all, only
> when reformating, but ......... i really dont want a device on virtual
> memory as it slows down boot creating that part of the "system"

Your floppy isn't running on virtual memory. It's merely using a
compatibility-mode 16-bit driver, which does hamper it's performance some,
but shouldn't really cause a system-wide slowdown. Perhaps your harddrives
are also in compatibility mode. That would definitely result in a system
performance problem.

> i can add new hardware wizard and choose a floppy controller but it
> does not "mount" a Generic NEC floppy drive in device manager>disk
> drives and keeps my floppy drive a:using ms-dos compatibilty
> mode...furthermore it blue screens me if i remove the newly added
> floppy controller....kinda makes sense, BOSD removing a part of my
> "virtual memory" .

If you don't want the floppy enabled at all see if the BIOS has an option to
"report no floppy"

> all i want is ACPI off & APM on, when setup is ran....any clues?

well, you could see if there is an APM tab in your power options in the
control panel. If there is, try enabling that. But I'm not really surprised
you are having this much difficulty in getting the board to work with ACPI
and Win98, since ACPI wasn't really that mature back in the Win98 days, so
the support for it isn't as good in that OS. Of course, you might consider
moving to XP. I would seriously consider that, because it is much more
amenable to ACPI, and should work considerably better. I use an A7N8X and it
works flawlessly in XP.

LiquidTension

Thanks for the info. i guess i can live with 16 bit floppy. i'll see
what happens when i turn off in bios.

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> [...]

> > "virtual memory" .

> If you don't want the floppy enabled at all see if the BIOS has an option to
> "report no floppy"
>

> > all i want is ACPI off & APM on, when setup is ran....any clues?

> well, you could see if there is an APM tab in your power options in the
> control panel. If there is, try enabling that. But I'm not really surprised
> you are having this much difficulty in getting the board to work with ACPI
> and Win98, since ACPI wasn't really that mature back in the Win98 days, so
> the support for it isn't as good in that OS. Of course, you might consider
> moving to XP. I would seriously consider that, because it is much more
> amenable to ACPI, and should work considerably better. I use an A7N8X and it
> works flawlessly in XP.

Thor

"LiquidTension" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Thanks for the info. i guess i can live with 16 bit floppy. i'll see
> what happens when i turn off in bios.

Just curious, but if you are in the process of upgrading, why not upgrade
your OS as well?

LiquidTension

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "LiquidTension" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Thanks for the info. i guess i can live with 16 bit floppy. i'll see
> > what happens when i turn off in bios.

> Just curious, but if you are in the process of upgrading, why not upgrade
> your OS as well?

just wasnt in the budget. sorry but i like 98. next is probably 2k
and it'll be outdated when i put it on... lol

you happy with your board? so far i like it. i got to get another fan
though

Thor

"LiquidTension" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> "LiquidTension" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> > Thanks for the info. i guess i can live with 16 bit floppy. i'll see
>> > what happens when i turn off in bios.

>> Just curious, but if you are in the process of upgrading, why not upgrade
>> your OS as well?

> just wasnt in the budget. sorry but i like 98. next is probably 2k
> and it'll be outdated when i put it on... lol

well 2K is leaps and bounds better than 98.

> you happy with your board? so far i like it. i got to get another fan
> though

very happy with it. Runs like a champ.