Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Can I return to Wind.98SE?

Can I return to Wind.98SE?

Alex F

Originally I had on my Computer Wind 98SE, I formatted the hard drive and
installed(not updated) Wind XP Pro. I would like to remove WindXP and return
to Wind98 I have both original CDs, can it be done? how do I proceed? Would
appreciate help Alex

Robert Baer

Alex F wrote:

> Originally I had on my Computer Wind 98SE, I formatted the hard drive and
> installed(not updated) Wind XP Pro. I would like to remove WindXP and return
> to Wind98 I have both original CDs, can it be done? how do I proceed? Would
> appreciate help Alex

One way is to use FDISK to remove all drives and partitions.
Then set-up the BIOS to boot to the CD, and go from there.
Sometimes, it is not quite that simple, as various versions (retail,
OEM, upgrade, etc) act differently.
At worst (when prompted by CD), boot with CD support; giving you a DOS
prompt.
Then, log to the DC (usually C: at this time) and FDISK, using large
drive support (ie: answer Y to the question) and tell FDISK you want the
whole drive.
Reboot, and then you will be able to find FORMAT to format the hard
drive (now drive C), and then you can install Win98 via Setup.
Sometimes,one can skip the eXplicit use of FORMAT, and Setup will ask or
do the job.

dan

Why would you want to downgrade from XP Pro to 98. Doesn't make any sense.

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alex F wrote:
>>
>> Originally I had on my Computer Wind 98SE, I formatted the hard drive
>> and
>> installed(not updated) Wind XP Pro. I would like to remove WindXP and
>> return
>> to Wind98 I have both original CDs, can it be done? how do I proceed?
>> Would
>> appreciate help Alex

> One way is to use FDISK to remove all drives and partitions.
> Then set-up the BIOS to boot to the CD, and go from there.
> Sometimes, it is not quite that simple, as various versions (retail,
> OEM, upgrade, etc) act differently.
> At worst (when prompted by CD), boot with CD support; giving you a DOS
> prompt.
> Then, log to the DC (usually C: at this time) and FDISK, using large
> drive support (ie: answer Y to the question) and tell FDISK you want the
> whole drive.
> Reboot, and then you will be able to find FORMAT to format the hard
> drive (now drive C), and then you can install Win98 via Setup.
> Sometimes,one can skip the eXplicit use of FORMAT, and Setup will ask or
> do the job.

Thor

"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Why would you want to downgrade from XP Pro to 98. Doesn't make any sense.

perhaps his machine isn't really up to the task of running XP.

James Hanley

"Alex F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<FF8od.7600$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Originally I had on my Computer Wind 98SE, I formatted the hard drive and
> installed(not updated) Wind XP Pro. I would like to remove WindXP and return
> to Wind98 I have both original CDs, can it be done? how do I proceed? Would
> appreciate help Alex

before installing 98, delete xp. I would boot up with a windows 98
boot disk(yeah, you can do that even if you run xp), that will get you
to a command prompt. Then, you have access to fdisk and format. Fdisk
will let you delete the partition where xp is. Then you're home and
dry, since you know how to install 98.

a win98 boot disk is available from www.bootdisk.com

dan

I recommend to Alex F that he keep XP. Even if as Thor said his computer
isn't up to it, I suggest he update it. It is a lot more stable and secure.
"James Hanley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "Alex F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<FF8od.7600$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> Originally I had on my Computer Wind 98SE, I formatted the hard drive
>> and
>> installed(not updated) Wind XP Pro. I would like to remove WindXP and
>> return
>> to Wind98 I have both original CDs, can it be done? how do I proceed?
>> Would
>> appreciate help Alex

> before installing 98, delete xp. I would boot up with a windows 98
> boot disk(yeah, you can do that even if you run xp), that will get you
> to a command prompt. Then, you have access to fdisk and format. Fdisk
> will let you delete the partition where xp is. Then you're home and
> dry, since you know how to install 98.
>
> a win98 boot disk is available from www.bootdisk.com

Ross Durie

Instability is caused by hardware faults. I have run a 98SE install for 4
years and have had absolutely no problems.

--
Ross

"dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<l1yqd.161087$HA.128911@attbi_s01>...
> I recommend to Alex F that he keep XP. Even if as Thor said his computer
> isn't up to it, I suggest he update it. It is a lot more stable and secure.

Win 98SE is stable enough. The SE is important. A computer running
software slowly is even more annoying than an unstable computer. 98SE
will run fast and be stable enough. Win 98SE isn't as good as XP at
recovering from crashes, but it's good enough. The worst thing is to
run software slowly. I've had an old computer when i was afraid to
move the mouse 'cos it'd send the HDD in a spin. And i've had to lie
on my bed waiting for jbuilder(a rubbish java programming IDE) to
react. You can't get much worse than a computer running software
slowly, it's unusable. Win 98SE is very usable.