Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Start-up problem

Start-up problem

Gerrit van Stempvoort

Hi,
I have a strange problem.
I had a working PC, but want to update is.
So I bought a new motherbord (ASUS K8N-E) a new AMK 64K processor and a new
400 W powersupply.
After mounting the stuff in my computer he will stop the startup process
after reaing the configuration data and memory.
When I check the bios everything looks OK. HD, CD, memory, processor and
floppy drive are recognized correctly, but the strart-up does not succeed.
it seems that the system cannot access the HD.
Any idea to solve this?

Any suggestion will be highly appriciated.

Kenny

Was XP already installed on the HDD, major hardware changes can cause this?
If so boot from XP CD and run a Repair install. This works most of the time
but if it doesn't you may have to format HDD and re-install Windows.
--

Kenny

"Gerrit van Stempvoort" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d81e6$41a093db$513b8624$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi,
> I have a strange problem.
> I had a working PC, but want to update is.
> So I bought a new motherbord (ASUS K8N-E) a new AMK 64K processor and a

new
> 400 W powersupply.
> After mounting the stuff in my computer he will stop the startup process
> after reaing the configuration data and memory.
> When I check the bios everything looks OK. HD, CD, memory, processor and
> floppy drive are recognized correctly, but the strart-up does not succeed.
> it seems that the system cannot access the HD.
> Any idea to solve this?
>
> Any suggestion will be highly appriciated.

Thor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Was XP already installed on the HDD, major hardware changes can cause
> this?
> If so boot from XP CD and run a Repair install. This works most of the
> time
> but if it doesn't you may have to format HDD and re-install Windows.
> --
>
> Kenny

I would add to your good advice that if he bought an AMD64
processor/mainboard, the new data execution prevention features of the CPU,
and XP SP2, may conflict. It can cause crashes as soon as you get to the
desktop. Had this issue on an AMD64 system I set up recently. As soon as I
set up SP2 on that machine, it started crashing horribly. Found the info
about the conflict on the MSKB, and had to change the Boot.INI file where it
says /NoExecute=OptIn to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff, (which disables the data
execution support at bootup) and the crashes ceased immediately. This entry
in the Boot.INI only exists after you install SP2. Sometimes you have to do
it in safe mode, because you cannot even get a stable boot out of it in
normal mode. He's not getting that far right now, so he does need to do the
repair install as you said, but when he gets SP2 installed he may run into
this issue, and for the benefit of others who move to the AMD64 platform
this may help.

Mark Mandell

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Was XP already installed on the HDD, major hardware changes can cause
>> this?
>> If so boot from XP CD and run a Repair install. This works most of the
>> time
>> but if it doesn't you may have to format HDD and re-install Windows.
>> --
>>
>> Kenny

> I would add to your good advice that if he bought an AMD64
> processor/mainboard, the new data execution prevention features of the
> CPU, and XP SP2, may conflict. It can cause crashes as soon as you get to
> the desktop. Had this issue on an AMD64 system I set up recently. As soon
> as I set up SP2 on that machine, it started crashing horribly. Found the
> info about the conflict on the MSKB, and had to change the Boot.INI file
> where it says /NoExecute=OptIn to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff, (which disables
> the data execution support at bootup) and the crashes ceased immediately.

Jut curious, where exactly is that located on the boot.ini file? I looked
and couldn't fnd and I do have XP SP2 installed on my PC.

This entry
> in the Boot.INI only exists after you install SP2. Sometimes you have to
> do it in safe mode, because you cannot even get a stable boot out of it in
> normal mode. He's not getting that far right now, so he does need to do
> the repair install as you said, but when he gets SP2 installed he may run
> into this issue, and for the benefit of others who move to the AMD64
> platform this may help.

Gerrit van Stempvoort

Hi guy's,

Thanks for the quick answer.
Unfortunately the PC will not start from either CD or floppy. The CD is
running, light is on, but the screen stays black.
Als a startup floppy for a WIN98 system will not boot my new system.
I'm afraid someting is wrong with the processor, however the processor is
correct mentioned in the BIOS.
My OS is XP SP2 indeed. Maybe I have to rebuild the old system, install
WIN98 on the HDD and try it in the new system.
What do you think?

Thanks anyway.

Gerrit

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Was XP already installed on the HDD, major hardware changes can cause
> > this?
> > If so boot from XP CD and run a Repair install. This works most of the
> > time
> > but if it doesn't you may have to format HDD and re-install Windows.
> > --
> >
> > Kenny

> I would add to your good advice that if he bought an AMD64
> processor/mainboard, the new data execution prevention features of the

CPU,
> and XP SP2, may conflict. It can cause crashes as soon as you get to the
> desktop. Had this issue on an AMD64 system I set up recently. As soon as I
> set up SP2 on that machine, it started crashing horribly. Found the info
> about the conflict on the MSKB, and had to change the Boot.INI file where

it
> says /NoExecute=OptIn to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff, (which disables the data
> execution support at bootup) and the crashes ceased immediately. This

entry
> in the Boot.INI only exists after you install SP2. Sometimes you have to

do
> it in safe mode, because you cannot even get a stable boot out of it in
> normal mode. He's not getting that far right now, so he does need to do

the
> repair install as you said, but when he gets SP2 installed he may run into
> this issue, and for the benefit of others who move to the AMD64 platform
> this may help.

Thor

"Mark Mandell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vT3od.1444$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Was XP already installed on the HDD, major hardware changes can cause
>>> this?
>>> If so boot from XP CD and run a Repair install. This works most of the
>>> time
>>> but if it doesn't you may have to format HDD and re-install Windows.
>>> --
>>>
>>> Kenny

>> I would add to your good advice that if he bought an AMD64
>> processor/mainboard, the new data execution prevention features of the
>> CPU, and XP SP2, may conflict. It can cause crashes as soon as you get to
>> the desktop. Had this issue on an AMD64 system I set up recently. As soon
>> as I set up SP2 on that machine, it started crashing horribly. Found the
>> info about the conflict on the MSKB, and had to change the Boot.INI file
>> where it says /NoExecute=OptIn to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff, (which disables
>> the data execution support at bootup) and the crashes ceased immediately.

> Jut curious, where exactly is that located on the boot.ini file? I looked
> and couldn't fnd and I do have XP SP2 installed on my PC.

It's under the "operating systems" section at the end of the line. I pulled
this from my own XP Pro system.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I know it's on XP Home SP2 as well because that was the system on which I
had to change it. Perhaps you had less than a fully successful SP2
installation if you lack it in your Boot.ini.

Thor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Was XP already installed on the HDD, major hardware changes can cause
>> this?
>> If so boot from XP CD and run a Repair install. This works most of the
>> time
>> but if it doesn't you may have to format HDD and re-install Windows.
>> --
>>
>> Kenny

> I would add to your good advice that if he bought an AMD64
> processor/mainboard, the new data execution prevention features of the
> CPU, and XP SP2, may conflict. It can cause crashes as soon as you get to
> the desktop. Had this issue on an AMD64 system I set up recently. As soon
> as I set up SP2 on that machine, it started crashing horribly. Found the
> info about the conflict on the MSKB, and had to change the Boot.INI file
> where it says /NoExecute=OptIn to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff, (which disables
> the data execution support at bootup) and the crashes ceased immediately.
> This entry in the Boot.INI only exists after you install SP2. Sometimes
> you have to do it in safe mode, because you cannot even get a stable boot
> out of it in normal mode. He's not getting that far right now, so he does
> need to do the repair install as you said, but when he gets SP2 installed
> he may run into this issue, and for the benefit of others who move to the
> AMD64 platform this may help.

I take that back, it wasn't an MSKB article that held the solution, it was
this page:

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#B...2_installation

Trent©

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:11:21 +0100, "Gerrit van Stempvoort"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi guy's,
>
>Thanks for the quick answer.
>Unfortunately the PC will not start from either CD or floppy. The CD is
>running, light is on, but the screen stays black.

Are you booting to an XP rescue floppy?

>Als a startup floppy for a WIN98 system will not boot my new system.

It should. Disconnect all the drives...see if it boots into the
floppy. You should at least get an error message...assuming you've
got the hard drive set up as NTFS.

>I'm afraid someting is wrong with the processor, however the processor is
>correct mentioned in the BIOS.

Then you don't have a processor problem.

Again...disconnect all the drives, boot into the floppy. You should
be able to get to the A drive...maybe with a bare, system floppy.

>My OS is XP SP2 indeed. Maybe I have to rebuild the old system, install
>WIN98 on the HDD and try it in the new system.
>What do you think?

Here's what I'd do...

go to the MSFT site...and follow the instructions to create a rescue
floppy disk. Once created, be certain that you can boot into it.

Then put the computer back to the new hardware. Boot into the rescue
floppy...which will allow you to do a repair install. You should be
good to go from there.

Good luck...let us know.

Have a nice one...

Trent