Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Router and Internal IP

Router and Internal IP

Plato

Just put in a new Linksys router. If I go to:

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/prefcan.asp

It shows my internal IP.

Is this normal?

Duane Arnold

Plato wrote:

> Just put in a new Linksys router. If I go to:
>
> http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/prefcan.asp
>
> It shows my internal IP.
>
> Is this normal?

What internal IP are you talking about? Yes, the test showed the public IP
that's assigned to my modem and my account with the ISP. For any Internet
traffic to even reach your network with the router as the gateway device,
the public IP on the public side of the router must be known that's
assigned to the modmn by the ISP. The test didn't show the private IP that
the machine was using on the private side or internal side of my FW
appliance. I doubt that the test is showing a 192.168.1.x IP that the
machine is using behind the router.

Duane

Plato

Duane Arnold wrote:

> What internal IP are you talking about? Yes, the test showed the public IP
> that's assigned to my modem and my account with the ISP. For any Internet
> traffic to even reach your network with the router as the gateway device,
> the public IP on the public side of the router must be known that's
> assigned to the modmn by the ISP. The test didn't show the private IP that
> the machine was using on the private side or internal side of my FW
> appliance. I doubt that the test is showing a 192.168.1.x IP that the
> machine is using behind the router.

Yep, it is showing the 192.168.1.xxx thus the reason for my inquiry.

Thor

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:419e3915$0$82987$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Duane Arnold wrote:
>>
>> What internal IP are you talking about? Yes, the test showed the public
>> IP
>> that's assigned to my modem and my account with the ISP. For any Internet
>> traffic to even reach your network with the router as the gateway device,
>> the public IP on the public side of the router must be known that's
>> assigned to the modmn by the ISP. The test didn't show the private IP
>> that
>> the machine was using on the private side or internal side of my FW
>> appliance. I doubt that the test is showing a 192.168.1.x IP that the
>> machine is using behind the router.

> Yep, it is showing the 192.168.1.xxx thus the reason for my inquiry.

it would be interesting then, if you were to assign a different IP address
to your machine, then run the test again, and see if the change is seen.

Plato

Thor wrote:

> > Yep, it is showing the 192.168.1.xxx thus the reason for my inquiry.

> it would be interesting then, if you were to assign a different IP address
> to your machine, then run the test again, and see if the change is seen.

grin, changed it, the webpage got the new one. Odd thing, this only
happens on 1 of the 4 pcs on the router. Maybe I'm the DMZ PC

Duane Arnold

Plato wrote:

> Thor wrote:
>>
>> > Yep, it is showing the 192.168.1.xxx thus the reason for my inquiry.

>> it would be interesting then, if you were to assign a different IP
>> address to your machine, then run the test again, and see if the change
>> is seen.

> grin, changed it, the webpage got the new one. Odd thing, this only
> happens on 1 of the 4 pcs on the router. Maybe I'm the DMZ PC

What model Linksys router is this? This is strange that's for sure. You may
want to supplement with a PFW solution on the machine. ;=)

Duane

Jim Berwick

Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:419e802d$0$1714$(E-Mail Removed):

> grin, changed it, the webpage got the new one. Odd thing, this only
> happens on 1 of the 4 pcs on the router. Maybe I'm the DMZ PC

Weird. Up until you said it only happens on one I thought maybe there was
some client side plugin/Active X control that was pulling the IP off of
your machine. I just tried it on a few machines here on our test LAN
(basically a bunch of Win 95/98/ME/2000/XP machines, a Mac with OS9 and a
mac with OS X), and all of them reported our cisco router's public address,
not the internal IPs. Odd stuff.

Thagor

Jim Berwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:419e802d$0$1714$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> grin, changed it, the webpage got the new one. Odd thing, this only
>> happens on 1 of the 4 pcs on the router. Maybe I'm the DMZ PC
>>

> Weird. Up until you said it only happens on one I thought maybe there
> was some client side plugin/Active X control that was pulling the IP
> off of your machine. I just tried it on a few machines here on our
> test LAN (basically a bunch of Win 95/98/ME/2000/XP machines, a Mac
> with OS9 and a mac with OS X), and all of them reported our cisco
> router's public address, not the internal IPs. Odd stuff.

Tried it:
http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/prefcan.asp

WInXP with a D-Link B-band router through a DSL modem here.
It shows my IP everytime, whether I change it or not. What the hell, it
even displays my stored clipboard data on the next test!

Java is set in IE at High Safety.
Active-X is set in IE for safe scripting and prompt.

Could this be some sort of packet trap and sniff operation? I have
limited knowledge in this area and have read the information on the site
to no avail.

Plato

Duane Arnold wrote:

> What model Linksys router is this? This is strange that's for sure. You may
> want to supplement with a PFW solution on the machine. ;=)

BEFSR41 4 port

Plato

Jim Berwick wrote:

> Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:419e802d$0$1714$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > grin, changed it, the webpage got the new one. Odd thing, this only
> > happens on 1 of the 4 pcs on the router. Maybe I'm the DMZ PC
> >

> Weird. Up until you said it only happens on one I thought maybe there was
> some client side plugin/Active X control that was pulling the IP off of
> your machine. I just tried it on a few machines here on our test LAN
> (basically a bunch of Win 95/98/ME/2000/XP machines, a Mac with OS9 and a
> mac with OS X), and all of them reported our cisco router's public address,
> not the internal IPs. Odd stuff.

I've been searching/reading google and google groups and no joy either.
Already tried setting router to defaults, etc.