Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > External Hard Disk

External Hard Disk

amir

hello everyone,

i am considering adding external hard disk.
i was told that i can buy any internal hard disk and a special casing , the
HDD will fit into the casing and it will be an external HDD.

Is that possible???

i will be gratefull if anyone can give any advise?

Thor

Yep. Just search for harddrive "enclosures". You'll find many with either
USB, or Firewire interfaces, or both. Make sure you get one sized for your
harddrive. Desktop harddrives are 3.5 inch, and laptop harddrives are 2.5
inch nowadays. Get the enclosure that matches.

"amir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cnier0$io3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello everyone,
>
> i am considering adding external hard disk.
> i was told that i can buy any internal hard disk and a special casing ,
> the HDD will fit into the casing and it will be an external HDD.
>
> Is that possible???
>
> i will be gratefull if anyone can give any advise?

Kenny

I've recently bought an IcyBox USB external enclosure and fitted a 160GB HDD
in it.

--

Kenny

"amir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cnier0$io3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello everyone,
>
> i am considering adding external hard disk.
> i was told that i can buy any internal hard disk and a special casing ,

the
> HDD will fit into the casing and it will be an external HDD.
>
> Is that possible???
>
> i will be gratefull if anyone can give any advise?

The One

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've recently bought an IcyBox USB external enclosure and fitted a 160GB
> HDD
> in it.

Amazing sheerly amazing

Pixx

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've recently bought an IcyBox USB external enclosure and fitted a 160GB
> HDD
> in it.

Me too, and I've recently returned said Icybox as, after a few weeks of
working with no problems, it would suddenly start disconnecting itself
somehow, so that Windows can't find it. A hard drive enclosure is a good
solution but I'd think twice before going for an Icybox.

If you're buying a new drive, it's not an especially cheap option doing it
this way either. You can get external drives of the same capacity for less
money than buying a new drive and enclosure separately.