Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > need info on computer toys for christmas

need info on computer toys for christmas

dennis

Hi All,
I am giving a presentation at our next local computer club meeting titled
"computer toys for christmas" Some of the items I plan to discuss are
things like: video cards, decent sound systems, cd/dvd burners, photo
printers. There is also adding ram or larger hard drive. I know there are
other gadgets like microscopes that interfaced via usb and of course
webcams.

Any thoughts of what I may be missing here?

tia

Dennis Meissner

John Holmes

dennis came up with this:

> Hi All,
> I am giving a presentation at our next local computer club meeting
> titled "computer toys for christmas" Some of the items I plan to
> discuss are things like: video cards, decent sound systems, cd/dvd
> burners, photo printers. There is also adding ram or larger hard
> drive. I know there are other gadgets like microscopes that
> interfaced via usb and of course webcams.
>
> Any thoughts of what I may be missing here?
>
> tia
>
> Dennis Meissner

A must have:
http://blue-networks.net/ia/imagepages/image22.php

--
-John Holmes-

"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

JD

dennis wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am giving a presentation at our next local computer club meeting titled
> "computer toys for christmas" Some of the items I plan to discuss are
> things like: video cards, decent sound systems, cd/dvd burners, photo
> printers. There is also adding ram or larger hard drive. I know there are
> other gadgets like microscopes that interfaced via usb and of course
> webcams.
>
> Any thoughts of what I may be missing here?
>
> tia
>
> Dennis Meissner

I seen the gratest gizmo ever .. a USB powered coffee warmer how cool
(and useful) is that

Computer Nerd

Anybody see the home automation stuff over at www.x10.com (I think I am
getting that for myself this christmas)

Seems pretty cool..and the prices are not that bad. 99.00 for the
starter system

JD wrote:
> dennis wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I am giving a presentation at our next local computer club meeting titled
>> "computer toys for christmas" Some of the items I plan to discuss are
>> things like: video cards, decent sound systems, cd/dvd burners, photo
>> printers. There is also adding ram or larger hard drive. I know
>> there are
>> other gadgets like microscopes that interfaced via usb and of course
>> webcams.
>>
>> Any thoughts of what I may be missing here?
>>
>> tia
>>
>> Dennis Meissner
>>

> I seen the gratest gizmo ever .. a USB powered coffee warmer how cool
> (and useful) is that

IAN GARDNER

"JD" <x@x> wrote in message news:419ceafa$0$1066$(E-Mail Removed)...
> dennis wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I am giving a presentation at our next local computer club meeting titled
>> "computer toys for christmas" Some of the items I plan to discuss are
>> things like: video cards, decent sound systems, cd/dvd burners, photo
>> printers. There is also adding ram or larger hard drive. I know there
>> are
>> other gadgets like microscopes that interfaced via usb and of course
>> webcams.
>>
>> Any thoughts of what I may be missing here?
>>
>> tia
>>
>> Dennis Meissner
>>

> I seen the gratest gizmo ever .. a USB powered coffee warmer how cool
> (and useful) is that

Yes. There are loads of USB powered things. One of them is a small toy
aquarium with moving fish!

--
IAN. P. GARDNER
ISLE OF WIGHT

Pepperoni

"dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
> I am giving a presentation at our next local computer club meeting titled
> "computer toys for christmas" Some of the items I plan to discuss are
> things like: video cards, decent sound systems, cd/dvd burners, photo
> printers. There is also adding ram or larger hard drive. I know there

are
> other gadgets like microscopes that interfaced via usb and of course
> webcams.
>
> Any thoughts of what I may be missing here?
>
> tia
>
> Dennis Meissner

Toss a handset or headset into the box along with some paid minutes for VOIP
phone calls. Most of the software is free, but the handset and call time
will get them started. Especially good for students and travelers.

Peer-to-peer is free; charges are only incurred when calling a regular
land-line phone. (or cell phone)

Glophone has great sound quality and hassle free setup.
http://www.glophone.com/plans

The "Blue Phone" is free and they even give you 30 minutes free calling
time. (peer-to-peer is free)

Once you are signed up, you can call from any PC using the JAVA Glo2go.

Also makes a great voice communicator for team play like Combat Flight
Simulator, or for cheating at online bridge.

Skype is another favorite, if you are running 2000 or XP.

Works best on a high speed connection, of course.

******
sign up for a free Sipphone account, and you can get free shipping on a
great handset ($14.99) It works with any soft phone, and auto-mutes your PC
speakers when in use. (not USB, works on mike and speaker jacks)
http://sipphone.com/accessories/
(Sipphone sound quality is not as good as Glophone, and setup is tedious
<there's a glitch>. The handset is first rate, however. "Let's Chat"
Brand)

Pepperoni