Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How Use CD-RW as Floppy

How Use CD-RW as Floppy

Thor

"DavidHoyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor,
>
> After comments by you and others:
>
> DirectCD for Windows XP by Roxio looks as though it will suit my purpose
> exactly.
>
> But I can not find a site that tells me its price or will sell me a copy?!
>
> Can you please give me a Web page or
> Email address?
>
> Thank you, to so many who have helped with information and suggestions on
> this
> topic.
>
> David Hoyte

David, DirectCD has evidently been renamed to "Drag-to-Disc" by Roxio, and
it is installed as part of the "Easy Media Creator 7" suite, and evidently
not available as an individual purchase. I checked Roxio's website, and the
program suite is $79.95 US after a $20 rebate.
http://www.roxio.com/en/products/index.jhtml

DavidHoyte

>DirectCD has evidently been renamed to "Drag-to-Disc" by Roxio, and
>it is installed as part of the "Easy Media Creator 7" suite, and evidently
>not available as an individual purchase. I checked Roxio's website, and the
>program suite is $79.95 US after a $20 rebate.
>
>http://www.roxio.com/en/products/index.jhtml

Thor: This is likely to happen with any successful application S/W,
I imagine: It is embedded with other ap code and the price quadrupled.

Can I get any of the other S/W that makes a CR-RW behave like a floppy,
that the vendor has *not* raised the price on?

You mentioned InCD by Ahead Software.

Or maybe just put up with the limitations which you think may exist with
DLA and use it for only $29.99 ?

The thing is to act fast, before all vendors figure the market will bear
a higher price . . .

Tell me what you think, won't you?

Thanks again.

David
(E-Mail Removed)

Plato

Thor wrote:

> program suite is $79.95 US after a $20 rebate.

Sheesh.

Plato

> David, DirectCD has evidently been renamed to "Drag-to-Disc" by Roxio, and
> it is installed as part of the "Easy Media Creator 7" suite, and evidently
> not available as an individual purchase. I checked Roxio's website, and the
> program suite is $79.95 US after a $20 rebate.

ps http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php

from my utils page says it does RWs and is free.

frank ashton

do you have a cd writer? for a start & if you do it will have the soft ware
with it , if not go & buy one & put your self out of your misery . they
should be a lot less than some of the prices of soft ware . in auz you are
only talking less than $50.00
"DavidHoyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Dell Dimension 2400.
>
> Is it possible to set up a 650 MB Sony CD-RW disk
> so I can use it just like a floppy disk?
>
> Thank you.
>
> David Hoyte
> (E-Mail Removed)

Thor

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:419ae814$0$90393$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> David, DirectCD has evidently been renamed to "Drag-to-Disc" by Roxio,
>> and
>> it is installed as part of the "Easy Media Creator 7" suite, and
>> evidently
>> not available as an individual purchase. I checked Roxio's website, and
>> the
>> program suite is $79.95 US after a $20 rebate.

> ps http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php
>
> from my utils page says it does RWs and is free.

no packet writing though. That's what he wants.

Thor

"DavidHoyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >DirectCD has evidently been renamed to "Drag-to-Disc" by Roxio, and
>>it is installed as part of the "Easy Media Creator 7" suite, and evidently
>>not available as an individual purchase. I checked Roxio's website, and
>>the
>>program suite is $79.95 US after a $20 rebate.
>>
>>http://www.roxio.com/en/products/index.jhtml

> Thor: This is likely to happen with any successful application S/W,
> I imagine: It is embedded with other ap code and the price quadrupled.
>

> Can I get any of the other S/W that makes a CR-RW behave like a floppy,
> that the vendor has *not* raised the price on?
>
> You mentioned InCD by Ahead Software.

It's part of Nero 6 Ultra Edition Suite for $69 US. Once upon a time you
could buy it separately like you could with DirectCD.

> Or maybe just put up with the limitations which you think may exist with
> DLA and use it for only $29.99 ?

It would seem to be your cheapest alternative. One click over to the DLA
features page, and it states that it DOES support saving to the disc from
within apps.
http://www.sonic.com/products/dla/features.asp

Plato

Thor wrote:

> > from my utils page says it does RWs and is free.

> no packet writing though. That's what he wants.

sheesh, shoot me then yep I figgered cdrw writing would include packet
writing. duh

DavidHoyte

Thanks Frank.

I odered DLA from Sonic yesterday for
$29.99 (plus $5 for them to keep a copy available for me to make another
down-load).

Saw a msg: "We had a problem w/this order".

I sent email to (E-Mail Removed)
w/all details of order, asking if they actually got it, so I could download
DLA?

Got auto-ack from Sonics, but no more.

$29.99 doesn't leave much for hiring good help . . .

I do little AmEx ordering by email, so don't know what is reasonable to expect.

If Sonic had got the order, would it be reasonable to expect them to have
checked my AmEx card and send eemail within 24 hours:
"Got you order. Download anytime".

Ergo: Lack of that email means I should place the order again, without risk of
paying twice??

Thanks for all this help.

David
(E-Mail Removed)

Thor

"DavidHoyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Frank.
>
> I odered DLA from Sonic yesterday for
> $29.99 (plus $5 for them to keep a copy available for me to make another
> down-load).
>
> Saw a msg: "We had a problem w/this order".
>
> I sent email to (E-Mail Removed)
> w/all details of order, asking if they actually got it, so I could
> download
> DLA?
>
> Got auto-ack from Sonics, but no more.
>
> $29.99 doesn't leave much for hiring good help . . .
>
> I do little AmEx ordering by email, so don't know what is reasonable to
> expect.
>
> If Sonic had got the order, would it be reasonable to expect them to have
> checked my AmEx card and send eemail within 24 hours:
> "Got you order. Download anytime".
>
> Ergo: Lack of that email means I should place the order again, without
> risk of
> paying twice??
>
> Thanks for all this help.

Wait for a real response from them. Ordering twice will probably just create
a bigger mess.