Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How Use CD-RW as Floppy

How Use CD-RW as Floppy

DavidHoyte

I have a Dell Dimension 2400.

Is it possible to set up a 650 MB Sony CD-RW disk
so I can use it just like a floppy disk?

Thank you.

David Hoyte

Morning Dew

Try InCD

"DavidHoyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell Dimension 2400.
>
> Is it possible to set up a 650 MB Sony CD-RW disk
> so I can use it just like a floppy disk?
>
> Thank you.
>
> David Hoyte
> (E-Mail Removed)

DavidHoyte

>Try InCD

*I am a beginner, Morning Dew.

What/Where is "InCD"?

David Hoyte
(E-Mail Removed)

Thor

"DavidHoyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Try InCD

> *I am a beginner, Morning Dew.
>
> What/Where is "InCD"?
>
> David Hoyte
> (E-Mail Removed)

"InCD" is known as "packet writing" software. It is made by Ahead Software,
who also makes the "Nero Burning Rom" CD burning software suite. Other
examples of packet writing software are "DirectCD" (Roxio) and "Drive Letter
Access". Packet writing usually requires that you format the disc prior to
use. It installs the UDF file system and consumes some disc space in the
process. For example if you format a 650MB CD for packet writing, you'll end
up with about 530MB of usable space. But then you'll be able to drag and
drop files to and from the disc, erase and create files dynamically on the
disc, and depending on the packet writing program, save directly to the disc
from within an application.

DavidHoyte

Thor,
Correct me if I'm wrong:

After a quick look at the options you
mention, I figure thet Drive Letter Access
from Sonic @$29.99 is a good bet for a
beginner.

My needs are to use CD-RW to store text
and word-processor documents, Excel
spreadsheets, and .jpg or .bmp
pics/photos, and to overwrite and update
the files.

I have no need to record music.

It looks as if DLA will work happily on my
Dell Dimension2400, too.

Am I on the right track, do you think?

And very many thanks for your swift tutorial: just what I needed.

David
(E-Mail Removed)

sno

Ask in newsgroup "alt.comp.freeware"....there may be a
freeware program you can use.....

have fun......hope helps.....sno

DavidHoyte wrote:

> Thor,
> Correct me if I'm wrong:
>
> After a quick look at the options you
> mention, I figure thet Drive Letter Access
> from Sonic @$29.99 is a good bet for a
> beginner.
>
> My needs are to use CD-RW to store text
> and word-processor documents, Excel
> spreadsheets, and .jpg or .bmp
> pics/photos, and to overwrite and update
> the files.
>
> I have no need to record music.
>
> It looks as if DLA will work happily on my
> Dell Dimension2400, too.
>
> Am I on the right track, do you think?
>
> And very many thanks for your swift tutorial: just what I needed.
>
> David
> (E-Mail Removed)

Thor

"DavidHoyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor,
> Correct me if I'm wrong:
>
> After a quick look at the options you
> mention, I figure thet Drive Letter Access
> from Sonic @$29.99 is a good bet for a
> beginner.
>
> My needs are to use CD-RW to store text
> and word-processor documents, Excel
> spreadsheets, and .jpg or .bmp
> pics/photos, and to overwrite and update
> the files.
>
> I have no need to record music.
>
> It looks as if DLA will work happily on my
> Dell Dimension2400, too.
>
> Am I on the right track, do you think?
>
> And very many thanks for your swift tutorial: just what I needed.

The only thing I'm unsure about with DLA is whether it allows you to save
directly to the disc from within an application, for example if you were in
Microsoft Word, using the "save" command to save your document and then
choosing the CD drive letter as the destination. Some packet writing
software only supports moving/copying/deleting files from the CD using
windows explorer, and applications like Word will refuse to allow you to
save to the CD drive letter with such packet writing programs. I know InCD
and DirectCD both support saving to CD within applications, but I cannot
recall whether DLA allows this or not. Even if you can't save directly to CD
in an application using DLA, you can always move saved files from the
harddrive to the CD using windows explorer to drag and drop.

colin

Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DavidHoyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thor,
> > Correct me if I'm wrong:
> >
> > After a quick look at the options you
> > mention, I figure thet Drive Letter Access
> > from Sonic @$29.99 is a good bet for a
> > beginner.
> >
> > My needs are to use CD-RW to store text
> > and word-processor documents, Excel
> > spreadsheets, and .jpg or .bmp
> > pics/photos, and to overwrite and update
> > the files.
> >
> > I have no need to record music.
> >
> > It looks as if DLA will work happily on my
> > Dell Dimension2400, too.
> >
> > Am I on the right track, do you think?
> >
> > And very many thanks for your swift tutorial: just what I needed.

> The only thing I'm unsure about with DLA is whether it allows you to save
> directly to the disc from within an application, for example if you were

in
> Microsoft Word, using the "save" command to save your document and then
> choosing the CD drive letter as the destination. Some packet writing
> software only supports moving/copying/deleting files from the CD using
> windows explorer, and applications like Word will refuse to allow you to
> save to the CD drive letter with such packet writing programs. I know InCD
> and DirectCD both support saving to CD within applications, but I cannot
> recall whether DLA allows this or not. Even if you can't save directly to

CD
> in an application using DLA, you can always move saved files from the
> harddrive to the CD using windows explorer to drag and drop.

Perhaps the `subst` command could be utilised for your described situation.

Thor

"colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "DavidHoyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thor,
>> > Correct me if I'm wrong:
>> >
>> > After a quick look at the options you
>> > mention, I figure thet Drive Letter Access
>> > from Sonic @$29.99 is a good bet for a
>> > beginner.
>> >
>> > My needs are to use CD-RW to store text
>> > and word-processor documents, Excel
>> > spreadsheets, and .jpg or .bmp
>> > pics/photos, and to overwrite and update
>> > the files.
>> >
>> > I have no need to record music.
>> >
>> > It looks as if DLA will work happily on my
>> > Dell Dimension2400, too.
>> >
>> > Am I on the right track, do you think?
>> >
>> > And very many thanks for your swift tutorial: just what I needed.

>> The only thing I'm unsure about with DLA is whether it allows you to save
>> directly to the disc from within an application, for example if you were

> in
>> Microsoft Word, using the "save" command to save your document and then
>> choosing the CD drive letter as the destination. Some packet writing
>> software only supports moving/copying/deleting files from the CD using
>> windows explorer, and applications like Word will refuse to allow you to
>> save to the CD drive letter with such packet writing programs. I know
>> InCD
>> and DirectCD both support saving to CD within applications, but I cannot
>> recall whether DLA allows this or not. Even if you can't save directly to

> CD
>> in an application using DLA, you can always move saved files from the
>> harddrive to the CD using windows explorer to drag and drop.
>>

> Perhaps the `subst` command could be utilised for your described
> situation.

Subst wouldn't help. The packet writing software ultimately has to translate
the command no matter what. If it doesn't support saving from within the
app, it doesn't matter what letter is assigned to the CD drive/folder
whatever.

DavidHoyte

Thor,

After comments by you and others:

DirectCD for Windows XP by Roxio looks as though it will suit my purpose
exactly.

But I can not find a site that tells me its price or will sell me a copy?!

Can you please give me a Web page or
Email address?

Thank you, to so many who have helped with information and suggestions on this
topic.

David Hoyte
(E-Mail Removed)