Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Operating system help

Operating system help

GT Grand Prix 00

Is there any way to copy an operating system to a cd? I have a laptop that has
XP Pro installed, but I have to reinstall an OS. Is there a way that I can
copy it off the hard drive and to a cd?

Thor

"GT Grand Prix 00" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any way to copy an operating system to a cd? I have a laptop that
> has
> XP Pro installed, but I have to reinstall an OS. Is there a way that I
> can
> copy it off the hard drive and to a cd?

You cannot copy the installed OS files to a CD in order to reinstall it. You
need the archived setup files. If the setup files are archived to a
particular folder on your drive, and they contain the proper setup program,
then you could copy *those* to a CD and conceivably reinstall your OS using
that CD. Barring that situation, you will need the WindowsXP installation
CD, or the computer manufacturer's recovery CD or recovery instructions if
the recovery files exist on a separate drive partition.

Eric

No, you can only use Norton Ghost to create an image and copy to CDs.

"GT Grand Prix 00" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any way to copy an operating system to a cd? I have a laptop that

has
> XP Pro installed, but I have to reinstall an OS. Is there a way that I

can
> copy it off the hard drive and to a cd?

Mark Mandell

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, you can only use Norton Ghost to create an image and copy to CDs.

But Norton Ghost while good(I use it myself)isn't the only drive image
creating utility out there.

> "GT Grand Prix 00" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is there any way to copy an operating system to a cd? I have a laptop
>> that

> has
>> XP Pro installed, but I have to reinstall an OS. Is there a way that I

> can
>> copy it off the hard drive and to a cd?

Nascar24Rulz

what exactly does norton ghost do? i am not familiar with it