Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Which ram ?

Which ram ?

Tony Peter

I have recently upgraded my old pc to XP for my daughter to use, however it
currently only has 2x64mb ram, I am lookking to upgrade and am looking for
advice, the motherboard has 3 slots so can I add a 256 in the third slot ?

I know the existing 2 are 168 pin, but when looking on line to order other
specs such as KVR 133/266/400 and x64 or x72 appear, how can I find out what
to use ?

Finally any recommendation for suppliers?

Kenny

Crucial memory calculator will tell you the correct type.
http://www.crucial.com/calculator/
As for mixing types some m/b's will let you, others may not. Put the
slowest RAM in 1st slot and set BIOS to "detect RAM timings by SPD".
Wording may be different depending on BIOS type but basically it detects RAM
type in 1st slot and sets timings accordingly.
If you don't know m/b make & model get Belarc Advisor:
or Everest:
http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
Both are free.

--