Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Beagle question

Beagle question

Jess Fertudei

I know that when members of a mail list get the Beagle virus delivered it is
not likely from the account who's name appears and that it is just sending
out to someone's address book from another name in that address book.

What I'm not clear on, though, is whether the IP address in the message's
properties is valid. When I get one and it shows a provider and IP address
can I refer it back to that provider or am I wasting mine and their time?

Jim Berwick

"Jess Fertudei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What I'm not clear on, though, is whether the IP address in the
> message's properties is valid. When I get one and it shows a provider
> and IP address can I refer it back to that provider or am I wasting
> mine and their time?

Generally, yes that is how to find the provider. Follow the Received:
lines back to the first valid entry, and that is where it is from.

Jess Fertudei

"Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Jess Fertudei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > What I'm not clear on, though, is whether the IP address in the
> > message's properties is valid. When I get one and it shows a provider
> > and IP address can I refer it back to that provider or am I wasting
> > mine and their time?

> Generally, yes that is how to find the provider. Follow the Received:
> lines back to the first valid entry, and that is where it is from.

Thanks. There are a number of folks in a mail list getting this and we're
having a hard time finding out from whom... I'm leaning toward someone who
is maybe not a participant anymore and will start looking at IP addresses
next. I guess.

Any idea on what rate this is not the case?

W32.Beagle.AO@mm virus Bob H Computer Support 3 05-15-2005 09:06 PM
Beagle-BD Bruce Knox NZ Computing 0 03-04-2005 08:39 PM
Beagle AP and AQ Joel Rubin Computer Support 0 10-29-2004 02:13 PM