Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help needed to set connect to internet through network

Help needed to set connect to internet through network

Tony Peter

I have set up a home network, simply using two USB dongles, so my daughters
computer connects to the net through mine, giving me control. The network is
finally set up but I am unable to set up broadband on my daughters pc, I get
an error message saying "unable to connect to default gateway"

Both machines now run XP.

Any help gratefully received

Tony

bearman

"Tony Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%ZPjd.122$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have set up a home network, simply using two USB dongles, so my

daughters
> computer connects to the net through mine, giving me control. The network

is
> finally set up but I am unable to set up broadband on my daughters pc, I

get
> an error message saying "unable to connect to default gateway"
>

> Both machines now run XP.
>
> Any help gratefully received
>
> Tony

Are you runnning any firewall?

bearman

Tony Peter

"bearman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tony Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%ZPjd.122$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have set up a home network, simply using two USB dongles, so my

> daughters
>> computer connects to the net through mine, giving me control. The network

> is
>> finally set up but I am unable to set up broadband on my daughters pc, I

> get
>> an error message saying "unable to connect to default gateway"
>>

>> Both machines now run XP.
>>
>> Any help gratefully received
>>
>> Tony
>>

> Are you runnning any firewall?
>
> bearman

Windows XP turned off on daughters and zone alarm on main, again turned off.

Tony Peter

Problem now solved, thanks bearman, found another firewal still open, going
forward though do I need a firewall on both pc's or will the main one work
for both ?

Tony

"Tony Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:I6Sjd.165$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "bearman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Tony Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%ZPjd.122$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have set up a home network, simply using two USB dongles, so my

>> daughters
>>> computer connects to the net through mine, giving me control. The
>>> network

>> is
>>> finally set up but I am unable to set up broadband on my daughters pc, I

>> get
>>> an error message saying "unable to connect to default gateway"
>>>

>>> Both machines now run XP.
>>>
>>> Any help gratefully received
>>>
>>> Tony
>>>

>> Are you runnning any firewall?
>>
>> bearman
>>

> Windows XP turned off on daughters and zone alarm on main, again turned
> off.

bearman

"Tony Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1U_jd.17$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Problem now solved, thanks bearman, found another firewal still open,

going
> forward though do I need a firewall on both pc's or will the main one work
> for both ?
>
> Tony

Since your daughter's computer goes through yours, I'd assume that a
firewall on your computer would be enough. If I'm wrong on that, I'm sure
someone here will tell you. I'm using Zone Alarm on all three of the
computers on my network (with a router). Zone Alarm has a section where you
can set up to allow your daughter's computer to be seen.