Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > HDD prob (newbee)

Reply
Thread Tools

HDD prob (newbee)

 
 
Brucey2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2004
My fairly new Maxtor 120 gig hdd hasdeveloped a prob which prevents booting
up, I have tried a floppy boot disk and putting the cd in (xp), I get to the
bios to select the relevant first boot but the system justs goes back to the
page that gives the message `we apologise but windows etc `and the options
Safe Mode etc, But which ever one you select it always returns to this page,
It is not on a pc which has ever been connected to the internet.
I have another pc and when the hdd is changed there is no prob, Anyone
have constructive ideas please..


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mark mandel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2004

"Brucey2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cmifn9$uo9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My fairly new Maxtor 120 gig hdd hasdeveloped a prob which prevents

booting
> up, I have tried a floppy boot disk and putting the cd in (xp), I get to

the
> bios to select the relevant first boot but the system justs goes back to

the
> page that gives the message `we apologise but windows etc `and the options
> Safe Mode etc, But which ever one you select it always returns to this

page,
> It is not on a pc which has ever been connected to the internet.
> I have another pc and when the hdd is changed there is no prob,

Anyone
> have constructive ideas please..
>

So you're saying that even System Restore doesn't correct this or rebooting
to the "last known good configuration" either?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter McGinley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2004

"Brucey2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cmifn9$uo9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My fairly new Maxtor 120 gig hdd hasdeveloped a prob which prevents
> booting
> up, I have tried a floppy boot disk and putting the cd in (xp), I get to
> the
> bios to select the relevant first boot but the system justs goes back to
> the
> page that gives the message `we apologise but windows etc `and the options
> Safe Mode etc, But which ever one you select it always returns to this
> page,
> It is not on a pc which has ever been connected to the internet.
> I have another pc and when the hdd is changed there is no prob, Anyone
> have constructive ideas please..
>
>


How old is the computer where it does not work and what kind of motherboard
is it running?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brucey2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2004
Abit nf7-s only about 5months old and hdd is under guarantee but don't want
to lose data, Selecting last known good configuration wont work either.
"Peter McGinley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:418d2d6d$0$21869$(E-Mail Removed) om.au...
>
> "Brucey2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cmifn9$uo9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My fairly new Maxtor 120 gig hdd hasdeveloped a prob which prevents
> > booting
> > up, I have tried a floppy boot disk and putting the cd in (xp), I get to
> > the
> > bios to select the relevant first boot but the system justs goes back to
> > the
> > page that gives the message `we apologise but windows etc `and the

options
> > Safe Mode etc, But which ever one you select it always returns to this
> > page,
> > It is not on a pc which has ever been connected to the internet.
> > I have another pc and when the hdd is changed there is no prob,

Anyone
> > have constructive ideas please..
> >
> >

>
> How old is the computer where it does not work and what kind of

motherboard
> is it running?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
mark mandel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2004

"Brucey2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cmjmnr$3ee$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Abit nf7-s only about 5months old and hdd is under guarantee but don't

want
> to lose data, Selecting last known good configuration wont work either.


Did the HD come with a diagnostic program on a floppy disc? If not, then
you could go to the manufacturer's site online and download such a program
onto a floppy, then test the drive(for sector errors, etc.).
> "Peter McGinley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:418d2d6d$0$21869$(E-Mail Removed) om.au...
> >
> > "Brucey2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cmifn9$uo9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > My fairly new Maxtor 120 gig hdd hasdeveloped a prob which prevents
> > > booting
> > > up, I have tried a floppy boot disk and putting the cd in (xp), I get

to
> > > the
> > > bios to select the relevant first boot but the system justs goes back

to
> > > the
> > > page that gives the message `we apologise but windows etc `and the

> options
> > > Safe Mode etc, But which ever one you select it always returns to this
> > > page,
> > > It is not on a pc which has ever been connected to the internet.
> > > I have another pc and when the hdd is changed there is no prob,

> Anyone
> > > have constructive ideas please..
> > >
> > >

> >
> > How old is the computer where it does not work and what kind of

> motherboard
> > is it running?
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Anan Amis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2004

"Brucey2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cmifn9$uo9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My fairly new Maxtor 120 gig hdd hasdeveloped a prob which prevents

booting
> up, I have tried a floppy boot disk and putting the cd in (xp), I get to

the
> bios to select the relevant first boot but the system justs goes back to

the
> page that gives the message `we apologise but windows etc `and the options
> Safe Mode etc, But which ever one you select it always returns to this

page,
> It is not on a pc which has ever been connected to the internet.
> I have another pc and when the hdd is changed there is no prob,

Anyone
> have constructive ideas please..
>
>

Check this out: http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm
You might want to create another boot disk, just in case the one you have is
flawed. This site also addresses the issue of a system that will not boot to
a bootable CD.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Anan Amis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2004

"Anan Amis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9Shjd.22984$Vz4.7719@okepread01...
>
> "Brucey2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cmifn9$uo9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My fairly new Maxtor 120 gig hdd hasdeveloped a prob which prevents

> booting
> > up, I have tried a floppy boot disk and putting the cd in (xp), I get to

> the
> > bios to select the relevant first boot but the system justs goes back to

> the
> > page that gives the message `we apologise but windows etc `and the

options
> > Safe Mode etc, But which ever one you select it always returns to this

> page,
> > It is not on a pc which has ever been connected to the internet.
> > I have another pc and when the hdd is changed there is no prob,

> Anyone
> > have constructive ideas please..
> >
> >

> Check this out: http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm
> You might want to create another boot disk, just in case the one you have

is
> flawed. This site also addresses the issue of a system that will not boot

to
> a bootable CD.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000217.htm

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
bmoag
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2004
If you are not hearing the dreaded click of death and do not hear your hard
drive seizing up (actually you should listen to hear if it is spinning up
properly) the hard drive itself is probably not the problem. The click of
death, once heard, is unmistakable and inevitably leads to a hard freeze of
the computer.
If your Maxtor hard drive is still under warranty Maxtor will not replace it
(they do not repair hard drives they only replace them, often with
refurbished drives) unless you have run their utility and can email or read
them the answers that indicate your drive is toast. The utility runs off a
bootable floppy. If your computer does not have a floppy drive it gets very
complicated.
If your XP installation is corrupted the XP cd very well may not give you
the opportunity to repair that installation (prior versions of Windows were
actually better in this regard). If that is the case the easiest thing to to
do is to try to install a new version of Windows in a different directory,
preferably on a different hard drive in the computer (if you have one). If
this works you will be able to salvage your data and the very first thing
you should do is back up those files on CD. The next thing is to run a
utility to see if the questionable hard drive is indeed failing.
If you do not understand how to use the XP cd or a boot disk and attempt to
read the hard drive (which still requires the use of DOS commands) you need
to take your computer to a repair shop. Among the problems that can
masquerade as a failing hard drive are failing power supplies and
motherboard or memory problems.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Brucey2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2004
Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate it.
"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hbjjd.5757$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> If you are not hearing the dreaded click of death and do not hear your

hard
> drive seizing up (actually you should listen to hear if it is spinning up
> properly) the hard drive itself is probably not the problem. The click of
> death, once heard, is unmistakable and inevitably leads to a hard freeze

of
> the computer.
> If your Maxtor hard drive is still under warranty Maxtor will not replace

it
> (they do not repair hard drives they only replace them, often with
> refurbished drives) unless you have run their utility and can email or

read
> them the answers that indicate your drive is toast. The utility runs off a
> bootable floppy. If your computer does not have a floppy drive it gets

very
> complicated.
> If your XP installation is corrupted the XP cd very well may not give you
> the opportunity to repair that installation (prior versions of Windows

were
> actually better in this regard). If that is the case the easiest thing to

to
> do is to try to install a new version of Windows in a different directory,
> preferably on a different hard drive in the computer (if you have one). If
> this works you will be able to salvage your data and the very first thing
> you should do is back up those files on CD. The next thing is to run a
> utility to see if the questionable hard drive is indeed failing.
> If you do not understand how to use the XP cd or a boot disk and attempt

to
> read the hard drive (which still requires the use of DOS commands) you

need
> to take your computer to a repair shop. Among the problems that can
> masquerade as a failing hard drive are failing power supplies and
> motherboard or memory problems.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audio prob that's more than a sound card prob LineOut Computer Support 2 04-19-2008 02:30 PM
my laptop sata hdd crahed,can i use seagate portable hdd as laptopsata hdd through some convertors?? ashjas Computer Support 2 03-29-2008 07:24 PM
Prob with Windows Pro x64 or Samsung HDD? =?Utf-8?B?YW5kZWVseW0=?= Windows 64bit 15 12-13-2005 12:20 AM
crazy win98se prob w/ 2nd hdd Fileseeker Computer Support 2 05-22-2004 04:37 AM
Printer prob and also networking prob Gareth not NLL or anybody else. Computer Support 2 01-02-2004 07:48 PM



Advertisments