Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer DISASTER - PLEASE help

Computer DISASTER - PLEASE help

D. Lee

Hello everyone -

This is D. Lee of Columbus, Ohio. I am currently having disastrous problems
with my computer (PC) and therefore I'm currently using a "backup" PC to send
you this message. I cannot succesfully start up my main PC apparently because
of some major problems with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and/or "Program
Manager" (I don't even know exactly what "Program Manager" is, but I'm
receiving error messages telling me that there are major problems with it -
whatever it is). Whenever I try to start up my computer, I get the following
message in a small window called "Explorer" -

This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the
problem persists, contact the program vendor.

Whenever I try either "close" or "debug", which are essentially the only
options I have, all I get are various error messages (some in Norton
CrashGuard) that cause me to have to re-start computer, which means that the
same vicious cycle starts all over again, because whenever I re-start, it
brings up a similar series of error messages over and over again. So now I
have no idea what to do and am extremely desperate for any help. PLEASE HELP -
any attempts/efforts to help will be tremendously appreciated. For those of
you on or familiar with AOL like I am, are there any official AOL e-mail
addresses to which I can send them a copy of this e-mail? Or are there any
ways or places online on AOL where I can speak to a computer "expert" live to
get help?

My PC runs on Windows 98. Thank you (in advance?) -

D. Lee
Columbus, Ohio
D. Lee
(E-Mail Removed)ospam
To e-mail me, remove the "nospam"

Ionizer

"D. Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello everyone -
>
> This is D. Lee of Columbus, Ohio. I am currently having disastrous

problems
> with my computer (PC) and therefore I'm currently using a "backup" PC

to send
> you this message. I cannot succesfully start up my main PC apparently

because
> of some major problems with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and/or

"Program
> Manager" (I don't even know exactly what "Program Manager" is, but I'm
> receiving error messages telling me that there are major problems with

it -
> whatever it is). Whenever I try to start up my computer, I get the

following
> message in a small window called "Explorer" -
>
> This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

If the
> problem persists, contact the program vendor.
>
> Whenever I try either "close" or "debug", which are essentially the only
> options I have, all I get are various error messages (some in Norton
> CrashGuard) that cause me to have to re-start computer, which means that

the
> same vicious cycle starts all over again, because whenever I re-start,

it
> brings up a similar series of error messages over and over again. So

now I
> have no idea what to do and am extremely desperate for any help. PLEASE

HELP -
> any attempts/efforts to help will be tremendously appreciated. For

those of
> you on or familiar with AOL like I am, are there any official AOL e-mail
> addresses to which I can send them a copy of this e-mail? Or are there

any
> ways or places online on AOL where I can speak to a computer "expert"

live to
> get help?
>
> My PC runs on Windows 98. Thank you (in advance?) -

You state that some of the error messages are coming from CrashGuard.
Norton CrashGuard seemed to cause more problems than it prevented and was
dropped from recent versions of SystemWorks. Try starting your computer
in Safe Mode and from there, deactivate CrashGuard. See if that makes a
difference. Boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key as the computer
starts up. This and another approach to booting into Safe Mode are
described here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_doc_nam

--
Ian.

James Hilton

"Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "D. Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello everyone -
> >
> > This is D. Lee of Columbus, Ohio. I am currently having disastrous

> problems
> > with my computer (PC) and therefore I'm currently using a "backup" PC

> to send
> > you this message. I cannot succesfully start up my main PC apparently

> because
> > of some major problems with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and/or

> "Program
> > Manager" (I don't even know exactly what "Program Manager" is, but I'm
> > receiving error messages telling me that there are major problems with

> it -
> > whatever it is). Whenever I try to start up my computer, I get the

> following
> > message in a small window called "Explorer" -
> >
> > This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

> If the
> > problem persists, contact the program vendor.
> >
> > Whenever I try either "close" or "debug", which are essentially the only
> > options I have, all I get are various error messages (some in Norton
> > CrashGuard) that cause me to have to re-start computer, which means that

> the
> > same vicious cycle starts all over again, because whenever I re-start,

> it
> > brings up a similar series of error messages over and over again. So

> now I
> > have no idea what to do and am extremely desperate for any help. PLEASE

> HELP -
> > any attempts/efforts to help will be tremendously appreciated. For

> those of
> > you on or familiar with AOL like I am, are there any official AOL e-mail
> > addresses to which I can send them a copy of this e-mail? Or are there

> any
> > ways or places online on AOL where I can speak to a computer "expert"

> live to
> > get help?
> >
> > My PC runs on Windows 98. Thank you (in advance?) -
> >

> You state that some of the error messages are coming from CrashGuard.
> Norton CrashGuard seemed to cause more problems than it prevented and was
> dropped from recent versions of SystemWorks. Try starting your computer
> in Safe Mode and from there, deactivate CrashGuard. See if that makes a
> difference. Boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key as the computer
> starts up. This and another approach to booting into Safe Mode are
> described here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_doc_nam

> --
> Ian.

If that does not work try restoreing from an earlier configuration. Using
the F8 method, choose DOS prompt only, or if already in Win98se at staft-
shutdown, choose restart in ms dos mode . When you see the C:\ prompt
type scanreg . View backups and restore from an earlier time when the
computer was working ok.

bmoag

It may be easier just to reinstall Windows98. Usually you can just reinstall
into the same partition/folder and whatever file was corrupted will be
reinstalled.

After that get rid of Crash guard. Think about a non-Norton antivirus
program.

Despite what you may have otherwise read if your machine will run WinME this
is a much better OS than 98. It is faster and has built in system restore
functionality for just such a disaster as you describe. Any program that
will run on 98 will run on ME although it may not run on XP and there are
few older peripherals that do not have drivers that will run on ME.