Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > HD questions

HD questions

Piedmont

Can someone explain to me a bit about running a master and a slave HD?

If you have a master / slave setup, will you see the grand total combined
capacity. Or, we you see a capacity for each individual HD.

On the cable that connects the two HD, is a requirement that the master be
plugged in at the end of the cable connector and the slave connected on the
connector that is part way down or near the center of the cable?

Piedmont

Thor

"Piedmont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cm1hgp$f3ia$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone explain to me a bit about running a master and a slave HD?
>
> If you have a master / slave setup, will you see the grand total combined
> capacity. Or, we you see a capacity for each individual HD.

individually.

> On the cable that connects the two HD, is a requirement that the master be
> plugged in at the end of the cable connector and the slave connected on
> the
> connector that is part way down or near the center of the cable?

master *MUST* be on the end connector if a single drive is used, or if cable
select mode is used.

Spajky

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:00:17 -0400, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>master *MUST* be on the end connector if a single drive is used, or if cable
>select mode is used.

I have my master /set with jumper as so/ connected to middle connector
& time to time the second one as a slave on the edge one & having no
problems at all ... WD ones I heard can have problems if not properly
connected ...
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Piedmont

Thor wrote:
|| "Piedmont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| news:cm1hgp$f3ia$(E-Mail Removed)...
snip
||| On the cable that connects the two HD, is a requirement that the
||| master be plugged in at the end of the cable connector and the
||| slave connected on the
||| connector that is part way down or near the center of the cable?
|| master *MUST* be on the end connector if a single drive is used, or
|| if cable select mode is used.

If the slave is plugged into the end connector and the master is plugged
into the connector that is near the middle, will it work?
Piedmont

Thor

"Piedmont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cm3scs$9hq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
> || "Piedmont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> || news:cm1hgp$f3ia$(E-Mail Removed)...
> snip
> || master *MUST* be on the end connector if a single drive is used, or
> || if cable select mode is used.
>
> If the slave is plugged into the end connector and the master is plugged
> into the connector that is near the middle, will it work?

yes, if it is specifically jumpered for master/slave. That's why I said it
has to be the other way around *if cable select is used*.