Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows XP in an old computer?

Windows XP in an old computer?

ArtKramr

I have an old DEll with Windows 98. I have a new Dell with Windows XP. I want
to install the XP in the old computer. What is the best way to do that?.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Nascar24Rulz

format the drive in your old one, and install xp using the code from your dell.
keep in mind that some hardware in your old comp may not be compatible with xp

Thor

isn't likely to work anyway. The major brand OEM recovery discs are tied to
a BIOS marker that verifies you aren't trying to install it on something
other than the machine it was intended for. They won't install on a
different brand or one old enough that it lacks the necessary BIOS ID to
allow a recovery. It's unlikely that it will work even if his old machine is
the same brand.

//
"Nascar24Rulz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> format the drive in your old one, and install xp using the code from your
> dell.
> keep in mind that some hardware in your old comp may not be compatible
> with xp

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: Windows XP in an old computer?
>From: "Thor" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 10/30/2004 8:08 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>isn't likely to work anyway. The major brand OEM recovery discs are tied to
>a BIOS marker that verifies you aren't trying to install it on something
>other than the machine it was intended for. They won't install on a
>different brand or one old enough that it lacks the necessary BIOS ID to
>allow a recovery. It's unlikely that it will work even if his old machine is
>the same brand.
>

>//
>"Nascar24Rulz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> format the drive in your old one, and install xp using the code from your
>> dell.
>> keep in mind that some hardware in your old comp may not be compatible
>> with xp

That's what I was afraid of. Thank you.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Kenny

Won't work, Dells are BIOS locked.

Kenny

HubertHhusky@world.com

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:08:18 -0000, "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Won't work, Dells are BIOS locked.
>
>Kenny
>
>"Nascar24Rulz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> format the drive in your old one, and install xp using the code from your

>dell.
>> keep in mind that some hardware in your old comp may not be compatible

>with xp

I am curious if anybody tried to do the upgrade install route. I was
contemplating something similar

Deleting windows.old and windows.old.000 =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIE1jR3VnYW4=?= Windows 64bit 6 12-28-2005 10:11 AM
new hard disk on old, old pc Deano Computer Support 5 10-21-2005 12:32 PM
old printer and old WP in Windows XP? lu Computer Support 6 01-14-2005 02:18 PM
Old Mountain... Old Machines... Seymore Digital Photography 1 12-03-2003 04:25 AM
old sony fd91 finally dying - old age? lefty Digital Photography 5 10-26-2003 05:53 PM

Advertisments