Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dial-Up speed increase question

Dial-Up speed increase question

KD

Hi,
My father in law has asked me about a company called www onspeed co uk
( I haven't made it linkable to make sure people don't think I'm spamming).
He is interested in their assertion that they can speed up dial-up internet
access at a fraction of the cost of broadband. They seem to be talking
about compression technology but surely this only works if they've cached
the entire internet and compressed it ???
Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim to
speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?

Thanks,
Keith

Kenny

It's very highly rated by Computeractive magazine, gives it a "Best Buy"
award. Costs about 25 a year.

Kenny

"KD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4183e8d2$0$446$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My father in law has asked me about a company called www onspeed co uk
> ( I haven't made it linkable to make sure people don't think I'm

spamming).
> He is interested in their assertion that they can speed up dial-up

internet
> access at a fraction of the cost of broadband. They seem to be talking
> about compression technology but surely this only works if they've cached
> the entire internet and compressed it ???
> Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim to
> speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

me

"KD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4183e8d2$0$446$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My father in law has asked me about a company called www onspeed co uk
> ( I haven't made it linkable to make sure people don't think I'm

spamming).
> He is interested in their assertion that they can speed up dial-up

internet
> access at a fraction of the cost of broadband. They seem to be talking
> about compression technology but surely this only works if they've cached
> the entire internet and compressed it ???
> Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim to
> speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

Keith,if you scroll down this group to a message posted on 22nd October
entitled "Accelerated 56k" you'll see that the poster (T.Mcrae)asked a very
similar question,and you can see the replies he got.I noticed it becasue i
was going back through all the posts i had missed,so i thought it may save
you some time

Andrew

KD

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message newscSgd.36195$_g6.33683@okepread03...

> "KD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4183e8d2$0$446$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> My father in law has asked me about a company called www onspeed co
>> uk
>> ( I haven't made it linkable to make sure people don't think I'm

> spamming).
>> He is interested in their assertion that they can speed up dial-up

> internet
>> access at a fraction of the cost of broadband. They seem to be talking
>> about compression technology but surely this only works if they've cached
>> the entire internet and compressed it ???
>> Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim to
>> speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Keith
>>

> Keith,if you scroll down this group to a message posted on 22nd October
> entitled "Accelerated 56k" you'll see that the poster (T.Mcrae)asked a
> very
> similar question,and you can see the replies he got.I noticed it becasue i
> was going back through all the posts i had missed,so i thought it may save
> you some time
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the pointer. I suspected it would be something like that.
I'll have to find out what the intended use is by the father in law before
he can make a judgement on giving this a try.

Cheers,
Keith

Jim Berwick

"KD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4183e8d2$0$446$(E-Mail Removed):

> They seem to be talking
> about compression technology but surely this only works if they've
> cached the entire internet and compressed it ???
> Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim
> to speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?

The way it works:

Highspeed client -> dialup link to ISP -> Server(s) at ISP that have
accelerator server software

Your outbound requests go through the accelerated servers. When data
comes back to them, they compress it on the fly. The company I work for
sells one of these things. Personally, I used it for 4 days when I moved
waiting for cable internet to get turned on, and it is marginally faster.
It isn't anything like "Near broadband speeds". It's between 2 and 4
times faster than standard dialup, when doing some things. Otherwise, it
is about 1.3 times faster.

IAN GARDNER

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's very highly rated by Computeractive magazine, gives it a "Best Buy"
> award. Costs about 25 a year.
>
> Kenny
>
> "KD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4183e8d2$0$446$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> My father in law has asked me about a company called www onspeed co
>> uk
>> ( I haven't made it linkable to make sure people don't think I'm

> spamming).
>> He is interested in their assertion that they can speed up dial-up

> internet
>> access at a fraction of the cost of broadband. They seem to be talking
>> about compression technology but surely this only works if they've cached
>> the entire internet and compressed it ???
>> Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim to
>> speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Keith

With it does is supply an invisible interface between you and the website
you are viewing. It doesn`t work on zip files and some other types that have
already been compressed. It download the website to its server, then
compresses it and then sends it to you compressed which your computer will
uncompress!
It sounds crap to me and a waist of money. It may save you a few
milliseconds, so what! Save your money!
--
IAN. P. GARDNER
www.gardner44.freeserve.co.uk

IAN GARDNER

"Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "KD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:4183e8d2$0$446$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> They seem to be talking
>> about compression technology but surely this only works if they've
>> cached the entire internet and compressed it ???
>> Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim
>> to speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?
>>

> The way it works:
>
> Highspeed client -> dialup link to ISP -> Server(s) at ISP that have
> accelerator server software
>
> Your outbound requests go through the accelerated servers. When data
> comes back to them, they compress it on the fly. The company I work for
> sells one of these things. Personally, I used it for 4 days when I moved
> waiting for cable internet to get turned on, and it is marginally faster.
> It isn't anything like "Near broadband speeds". It's between 2 and 4
> times faster than standard dialup, when doing some things. Otherwise, it
> is about 1.3 times faster.

Mention the files that are already compressed like zip and jpg etc, well
like all of them except text!

--
IAN. P. GARDNER
ISLE OF WIGHT

Thor

"IAN GARDNER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cm536q$49h$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "KD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:4183e8d2$0$446$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> They seem to be talking
>>> about compression technology but surely this only works if they've
>>> cached the entire internet and compressed it ???
>>> Has anyone any experience of companies and their software that claim
>>> to speed up dial up by a large amount ? Is this worth a go ?
>>>

>> The way it works:
>>
>> Highspeed client -> dialup link to ISP -> Server(s) at ISP that have
>> accelerator server software
>>
>> Your outbound requests go through the accelerated servers. When data
>> comes back to them, they compress it on the fly. The company I work for
>> sells one of these things. Personally, I used it for 4 days when I moved
>> waiting for cable internet to get turned on, and it is marginally faster.
>> It isn't anything like "Near broadband speeds". It's between 2 and 4
>> times faster than standard dialup, when doing some things. Otherwise, it
>> is about 1.3 times faster.

> Mention the files that are already compressed like zip and jpg etc, well
> like all of them except text!

It's the graphics on a webpage above all else that is compressed. But it is
a lossy compression. It's like taking a JPG and recompressing it. You lose
some picture quality in the process, but the file size is dramatically
reduced, thus download time is substantially reduced. As long as you don't
go crazy with the compression level, you'll still be able to see what the
picture is. It's quality will just be reduced. Other things like ZIP files,
and other types of compression used on downloadable archived files, cannot
be subjected to a lossy compression scheme and still maintain their
integrity and usability, so those are left untouched by the web accelerator.

IAN GARDNER

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "IAN GARDNER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cm536q$49h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> "KD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:4183e8d2$0$446$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> The way it works:
>>>
>>> Highspeed client -> dialup link to ISP -> Server(s) at ISP that have
>>> accelerator server software
>>>
>>> Your outbound requests go through the accelerated servers. When data
>>> comes back to them, they compress it on the fly. The company I work for
>>> sells one of these things. Personally, I used it for 4 days when I
>>> moved
>>> waiting for cable internet to get turned on, and it is marginally
>>> faster.
>>> It isn't anything like "Near broadband speeds". It's between 2 and 4
>>> times faster than standard dialup, when doing some things. Otherwise,
>>> it
>>> is about 1.3 times faster.

>> Mention the files that are already compressed like zip and jpg etc, well
>> like all of them except text!

> It's the graphics on a webpage above all else that is compressed. But it
> is a lossy compression. It's like taking a JPG and recompressing it. You
> lose some picture quality in the process, but the file size is
> dramatically reduced, thus download time is substantially reduced. As long
> as you don't go crazy with the compression level, you'll still be able to
> see what the picture is. It's quality will just be reduced. Other things
> like ZIP files, and other types of compression used on downloadable
> archived files, cannot be subjected to a lossy compression scheme and
> still maintain their integrity and usability, so those are left untouched
> by the web accelerator.

I know. I wouldn`t waste my money. The extra you pay for this service plus
your charge on the dial-up then it proberly equates to the same (or nearlly)
cost for broadband.

--
IAN. P. GARDNER
ISLE OF WIGHT
www.gardner44.freeserve.co.uk

Thor

"IAN GARDNER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cm7uaf$sq7$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "IAN GARDNER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:cm536q$49h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> "Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Mention the files that are already compressed like zip and jpg etc, well
>>> like all of them except text!

>> It's the graphics on a webpage above all else that is compressed. But it
>> is a lossy compression. It's like taking a JPG and recompressing it. You
>> lose some picture quality in the process, but the file size is
>> dramatically reduced, thus download time is substantially reduced. As
>> long as you don't go crazy with the compression level, you'll still be
>> able to see what the picture is. It's quality will just be reduced. Other
>> things like ZIP files, and other types of compression used on
>> downloadable archived files, cannot be subjected to a lossy compression
>> scheme and still maintain their integrity and usability, so those are
>> left untouched by the web accelerator.

> I know. I wouldn`t waste my money. The extra you pay for this service plus
> your charge on the dial-up then it proberly equates to the same (or
> nearlly) cost for broadband.

agreed, but for some, broadband is not an available option. Such as in rural
areas. Satellite is still prohibitively expensive for many too. So there are
quite a few people in my area that use the accelerator services and I have
to work around that damn software when troubleshooting. Sucks.