Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Connecting a Hard Drive via a caddy

Connecting a Hard Drive via a caddy

Thor

There are lots of external drive enclosures available for 3.5" drives. Go to
www.tigerdirect.com for example and they have them. Alternatively, cables2go
makes a cool USB interface cable that connects directly to the drive's IDE
connector, and also a has power supply included, so you can simply plug the
cable right into the drive, and into your USB ports on the new computer.
With that, you don't even need to mount the drive into an enclosure, if you
just want a quick temporary connection to get your data. Still, unless
Compaq is threatening to void your warranty by opening the case (which would
be a despicable policy), you can install the old drive in the new machine
temporarily, by just disconnecting the CD/DVD drive cables and connecting
them to the old harddrive (make sure the cables are oriented the same way)
andmake sure the harddrive is laying on something stable, and insulated.
Power upthe computer and then drag/drop the files from the old harddrive to
the new one. Shut down, reconnect the CD/DVD drive, put the cover back on,
and your done.

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:5bTfd.35130$_g6.1612@okepread03...
> Hi group,
>
> I have my old hard drive from my previous PC,and i would like to access
> the
> files on it without having to install it inside my current PC.(Which
> apparently i cant anyway becasue it's a Compaq and you have to go through
> them to do upgrades.)
>
> I read on a forum that i can get a disk caddy which i can hook it to,power
> it up externally and connect it to my current PC via USB cable.
> I tried looking online for these caddies but i can only seem to see ones
> for
> laptop HD's. Can anyone suggest what i would need to do this,and what type
> of cable i would need?
>
> The Hard drive in question is a Maxtor 541DX,and under "Model" it says
> 2B020H1 (not sure if the 0's in that code are alphabet O's or Zero's)
>
> Also,the hard drive has Windows 98 OS on it,whilst my current PC runs
> XP.Will there be any conflict while trying to view the files on the
> Maxtor?
>
> I have posted this request in a couple of other relevant groups also.
> thanks in advance for any replies
>
> Andrew

me

[...]

Thagor

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:5bTfd.35130$_g6.1612@okepread03:

> Hi group,
>
> I have my old hard drive from my previous PC,and i would like to
> access the files on it without having to install it inside my current
> PC.(Which apparently i cant anyway becasue it's a Compaq and you have
> to go through them to do upgrades.)
>
> I read on a forum that i can get a disk caddy which i can hook it
> to,power it up externally and connect it to my current PC via USB
> cable. I tried looking online for these caddies but i can only seem to
> see ones for laptop HD's. Can anyone suggest what i would need to do
> this,and what type of cable i would need?
>
> The Hard drive in question is a Maxtor 541DX,and under "Model" it says
> 2B020H1 (not sure if the 0's in that code are alphabet O's or Zero's)
>
> Also,the hard drive has Windows 98 OS on it,whilst my current PC runs
> XP.Will there be any conflict while trying to view the files on the
> Maxtor?
>
> I have posted this request in a couple of other relevant groups also.
> thanks in advance for any replies
>
> Andrew

Here's one to set you specs on:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ion=17-145-314
&DEPA=1

me

Thanks for the ideas guys,i'm going to look into that in more detail !!

Andrew

me

Actually i have another question.Once i have got the files i need accross
from the old drive(I'll probably get an enclosure for it),i may want to get
a new drive to put in the enclosure,and just use it for external
storage.OK,do i have to format this new drive the same way as if i were
formatting drive C for example ?

thanks again
Andrew

Thagor

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:FE0gd.35217$_g6.21955@okepread03:

> Actually i have another question.Once i have got the files i need
> accross from the old drive(I'll probably get an enclosure for it),i
> may want to get a new drive to put in the enclosure,and just use it
> for external storage.OK,do i have to format this new drive the same
> way as if i were formatting drive C for example ?
>
> thanks again
> Andrew

Yes. Temperarily Hook it up directly to the computer and do the
partitioning/format just as you would a normal internal IDE drive. Then
install it in the case, (without covers) and hook it up to USB to verify
that it works. Note that you can make the drive ready through the USB
port control but for the first time I always go direct to IDE cable as a
personal preference.

Thagor

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Fwjgd.17468$0j.16898@lakeread07:

> "Thagor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9590C74791383thagmailcoma@207.115.63.158.. .
>> "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:FE0gd.35217$_g6.21955@okepread03:
>>
>> > Actually i have another question.Once i have got the files i need
>> > accross from the old drive(I'll probably get an enclosure for it),i
>> > may want to get a new drive to put in the enclosure,and just use it
>> > for external storage.OK,do i have to format this new drive the same
>> > way as if i were formatting drive C for example ?
>> >
>> > thanks again
>> > Andrew
>> >

>> Yes. Temperarily Hook it up directly to the computer and do the
>> partitioning/format just as you would a normal internal IDE drive.
>> Then install it in the case, (without covers) and hook it up to USB
>> to verify that it works. Note that you can make the drive ready
>> through the USB port control but for the first time I always go
>> direct to IDE cable as a personal preference.

> Thanks,so once it's formatted,i just put the original one back in and
> it'll work like nothing happened?
> Then just take the newly formatted one and use it via the USB?
>
> Andrew

You got it. Just make sure you partition and format the correct drive if
you have more than one attached to the system.

me

"Thagor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9590C74791383thagmailcoma@207.115.63.158.. .
> "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:FE0gd.35217$_g6.21955@okepread03:
>
> > Actually i have another question.Once i have got the files i need
> > accross from the old drive(I'll probably get an enclosure for it),i
> > may want to get a new drive to put in the enclosure,and just use it
> > for external storage.OK,do i have to format this new drive the same
> > way as if i were formatting drive C for example ?
> >
> > thanks again
> > Andrew
> >

> Yes. Temperarily Hook it up directly to the computer and do the
> partitioning/format just as you would a normal internal IDE drive. Then
> install it in the case, (without covers) and hook it up to USB to verify
> that it works. Note that you can make the drive ready through the USB
> port control but for the first time I always go direct to IDE cable as a
> personal preference.

Thanks,so once it's formatted,i just put the original one back in and it'll
work like nothing happened?
Then just take the newly formatted one and use it via the USB?

Andrew

Robert Baer

Thagor wrote:

> "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:FE0gd.35217$_g6.21955@okepread03:
>
> > Actually i have another question.Once i have got the files i need
> > accross from the old drive(I'll probably get an enclosure for it),i
> > may want to get a new drive to put in the enclosure,and just use it
> > for external storage.OK,do i have to format this new drive the same
> > way as if i were formatting drive C for example ?
> >
> > thanks again
> > Andrew
> >

> Yes. Temperarily Hook it up directly to the computer and do the
> partitioning/format just as you would a normal internal IDE drive. Then
> install it in the case, (without covers) and hook it up to USB to verify
> that it works. Note that you can make the drive ready through the USB
> port control but for the first time I always go direct to IDE cable as a
> personal preference.

And a direct IDE connection is a *LOT* faster!
I have all of my drives in removeable carriers, the main master HD is
connected as Primary Master, with the second bay as Secondary Master.
About once a week, i "backup" the main master by cloning to another HD
(same size) in the second bay.
When done, it is removed and stored in a safe place.
4 times over a 10 year period, i have used a copy to replace a dead or
dying main master.
That copy then becomes the main master, and i buy a replacement for
clone copy use.
I even have extra drives for other OSes.

Thor

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thagor wrote:
>>
>> "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:FE0gd.35217$_g6.21955@okepread03:
>>
>> > Actually i have another question.Once i have got the files i need
>> > accross from the old drive(I'll probably get an enclosure for it),i
>> > may want to get a new drive to put in the enclosure,and just use it
>> > for external storage.OK,do i have to format this new drive the same
>> > way as if i were formatting drive C for example ?
>> >
>> > thanks again
>> > Andrew
>> >

>> Yes. Temperarily Hook it up directly to the computer and do the
>> partitioning/format just as you would a normal internal IDE drive. Then
>> install it in the case, (without covers) and hook it up to USB to verify
>> that it works. Note that you can make the drive ready through the USB
>> port control but for the first time I always go direct to IDE cable as a
>> personal preference.

> And a direct IDE connection is a *LOT* faster!

if you are speaking in terms of mere throughput, it's not that much faster
than an external USB 2.0 drive. USB 2.0 is capable of 60MB/sec throughput. I
find that my external USB 2.0 drives tend to respond and perform almost as
fast as my internal ATA-100 drives when transferring data to and from
various drives.