Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Network hardware scanning utility

Network hardware scanning utility

Bob

I know this is long shot but I have to ask. Is there a utility which would
scan the computers on the network and tell me what hardware is installed? I
have seen plenty of applications but they require a client app be installed
on all the computers. I would like to know if there is any application which
does not require a client be installed. I just want to know what CPU and
memory is installed on all the computers on our network.

All the worksations are running windows 2000 pro and a handfull of XP pro,
the servers are windows 2000.

Thanks in advance.

Thor

I don't think that is really possible without having some kind of software
running on the client itself, even if just to report the client's stats over
the network connection to whichever workstation or server you are using to
retrieve the info. To my knowledge, the kind of detailed hardware info you
want isn't normally available or shared over a network connection without
some client software deliberately making it available. If I'm incorrect in
this, I'm sure someone will set me straight on the issue.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know this is long shot but I have to ask. Is there a utility which would
>scan the computers on the network and tell me what hardware is installed? I
>have seen plenty of applications but they require a client app be installed
>on all the computers. I would like to know if there is any application
>which does not require a client be installed. I just want to know what CPU
>and memory is installed on all the computers on our network.
>
> All the worksations are running windows 2000 pro and a handfull of XP pro,
> the servers are windows 2000.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Bob

I actually found a good application which has everything I need.
I went to download.com and downloaded EMCO remote control audit 2.0. No
client needed and easy to use.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't think that is really possible without having some kind of software
>running on the client itself, even if just to report the client's stats
>over the network connection to whichever workstation or server you are
>using to retrieve the info. To my knowledge, the kind of detailed hardware
>info you want isn't normally available or shared over a network connection
>without some client software deliberately making it available. If I'm
>incorrect in this, I'm sure someone will set me straight on the issue.
>

> ..
> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I know this is long shot but I have to ask. Is there a utility which would
>>scan the computers on the network and tell me what hardware is installed?
>>I have seen plenty of applications but they require a client app be
>>installed on all the computers. I would like to know if there is any
>>application which does not require a client be installed. I just want to
>>know what CPU and memory is installed on all the computers on our network.
>>
>> All the worksations are running windows 2000 pro and a handfull of XP
>> pro, the servers are windows 2000.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Matthias Tacke

"Bob" wrote:

>I know this is long shot but I have to ask. Is there a utility which would
>scan the computers on the network and tell me what hardware is installed? I
>have seen plenty of applications but they require a client app be installed
>on all the computers. I would like to know if there is any application which
>does not require a client be installed. I just want to know what CPU and
>memory is installed on all the computers on our network.
>
>All the worksations are running windows 2000 pro and a handfull of XP pro,
>the servers are windows 2000.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Get psinfo from http://www.sysinternals.com and run this batch:

::Get ProcMEM.cmd::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::
@echo off
setlocal
for /f %%A in ('net view^|findstr /b "\\"'
) do echo %%A&for /F "delims=" %%B in (
'psinfo %%A 2^>NUL ^|findstr "Proc memory"') do echo %%B
::Get ProcMEM.cmd::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::

HTH
--
Greetings
Matthias

Matt Pascoe

I don't think that answer is really reliable. Difference in thinking and
knowing........ go and do homework.

>I don't think that is really possible without having some kind of software
>running on the client itself, even if just to report the client's stats
>over the network connection to whichever workstation or server you are
>using to retrieve the info. To my knowledge, the kind of detailed hardware
>info you want isn't normally available or shared over a network connection
>without some client software deliberately making it available. If I'm
>incorrect in this, I'm sure someone will set me straight on the issue.
>

> ..
> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I know this is long shot but I have to ask. Is there a utility which would
>>scan the computers on the network and tell me what hardware is installed?
>>I have seen plenty of applications but they require a client app be
>>installed on all the computers. I would like to know if there is any
>>application which does not require a client be installed. I just want to
>>know what CPU and memory is installed on all the computers on our network.
>>
>> All the worksations are running windows 2000 pro and a handfull of XP
>> pro, the servers are windows 2000.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Joel

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:31:04 +0200, "Matthias Tacke"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bob" wrote:
>
>>I know this is long shot but I have to ask. Is there a utility which would
>>scan the computers on the network and tell me what hardware is installed? I
>>have seen plenty of applications but they require a client app be installed
>>on all the computers. I would like to know if there is any application which
>>does not require a client be installed. I just want to know what CPU and
>>memory is installed on all the computers on our network.
>>
>>All the worksations are running windows 2000 pro and a handfull of XP pro,
>>the servers are windows 2000.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>

>Get psinfo from http://www.sysinternals.com and run this batch:
>
>::Get ProcMEM.cmd::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::
>@echo off
>setlocal
>for /f %%A in ('net view^|findstr /b "\\"'
> ) do echo %%A&for /F "delims=" %%B in (
> 'psinfo %%A 2^>NUL ^|findstr "Proc memory"') do echo %%B
>::Get ProcMEM.cmd::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::
>
>HTH

Would http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../pstools.shtml
actually be the correct URL fo that?

Matthias Tacke

Joel wrote:
>Would http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../pstools.shtml
>actually be the correct URL fo that?

To be even more precise,
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psinfo.shtml
or directly download:
http://www.sysinternals.com/files/PsInfo.zip

But there is also a nice search field straight at the page I pointed to.

--
Greetings
Matthias

Thor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I actually found a good application which has everything I need.
> I went to download.com and downloaded EMCO remote control audit 2.0. No
> client needed and easy to use.

nice. Looks like that's the ticket. I wasn't aware that much hardware info
could be pulled from a remote client without 3rd party software residing on
both ends.

Kurt

Look at Belarc (do a google).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know this is long shot but I have to ask. Is there a utility which would
> scan the computers on the network and tell me what hardware is installed?

> have seen plenty of applications but they require a client app be

installed
> on all the computers. I would like to know if there is any application

which
> does not require a client be installed. I just want to know what CPU and
> memory is installed on all the computers on our network.
>
> All the worksations are running windows 2000 pro and a handfull of XP pro,
> the servers are windows 2000.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Jim Berwick

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I wasn't aware that much hardware info
> could be pulled from a remote client without 3rd party software
> residing on both ends.

As long as the machine is networked, and you have enough priviledges on the
machine to log in and look at the hardware, you can definitely do it via a
network connection with no 3rd party software on the machine.