Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > how to tell display adapter maker when no maker listed on it

how to tell display adapter maker when no maker listed on it

effi

333 mhz pentium 2 desktop,
erased the disply adapter driver,
need to reinstall the driver now,
don't have the driver though,
and the pci display adapter card doesn't have a manufacturer's name or model
number on it

is there any way to determine the manufacturer and model number so the right
driver can be located?

without the correct driver it only displays 16 colors,
instead of high color (16 bit)

Pepperoni

If you can determine the (PC) manufacturer and model number, go to the
manufacturer's web site to determine the adapter and also to locate the
drivers.

You may be able to determine the adapter by looking in system information.

"effi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 333 mhz pentium 2 desktop,
> erased the disply adapter driver,
> need to reinstall the driver now,
> don't have the driver though,
> and the pci display adapter card doesn't have a manufacturer's name or

model
> number on it
>
> is there any way to determine the manufacturer and model number so the

right
> driver can be located?
>
> without the correct driver it only displays 16 colors,
> instead of high color (16 bit)

colin

effi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 333 mhz pentium 2 desktop,
> erased the disply adapter driver,
> need to reinstall the driver now,
> don't have the driver though,
> and the pci display adapter card doesn't have a manufacturer's name or

model
> number on it
>
> is there any way to determine the manufacturer and model number so the

right
> driver can be located?
>
> without the correct driver it only displays 16 colors,
> instead of high color (16 bit)

http://www.pcguide.com/proc/id/video-c.html

[ The PC Guide | Procedure Guide | Identification Procedures ]

Video Card Identification Procedure

This procedure is used for identifying the manufacturer and chipset name and
version of the video card, using the DOS "DEBUG" command. You'll need to do
this typically when debugging problems or when you are looking for updated
video drivers. An alternative option is to look carefully at the labelling
on the video card and its components, but the advantage of this procedure is
that it can be performed without the need to open up the system case.

Procedure Overview:

Difficulty Level: 1 (Very low).
Risk Factor: 1 (Very low).
Hardware Required: None.
Software Required: Any version of MS-DOS or Windows 95.
Time to Perform: Less than five minutes.
Preparation / Warnings: Make sure you have all work saved in open
applications on your system before starting.

----

Procedure Steps:

Get to an MS-DOS Prompt: If you are running a version of Windows, you need
to either open an MS-DOS prompt or shut Windows down to MS-DOS mode.
Enter the "DEBUG" Program: From the DOS prompt, type "debug" and then
{Enter}. The system will display a single dash ("-").
Display the Video Card BIOS Area: Type the following, exactly (and nothing
else, or you risk doing something to your system that you really don't want
to): "d c000:0010". This will display the contents of the beginning part of
the video BIOS ROM. The system will display a bunch of hexadecimal digits
across most of the screen. On the left-hand side you will see text letters
that correspond to these codes. For most video cards, you will see the name
of the manufacturer and information about the video chipset type and version
number.
Scroll Down If Necessary: On some systems you may need to scroll down
further to find the information. Do this by typing just "d" and then
{Enter}, one or more times. More information will display on the screen.
Exit "DEBUG": Press "q" and then {Enter} to quit the debug program.

HF

Dont despair - a graphics card can be so low in price. However go to
www.belarc.com and you will find a piece of software which should identify
your card. Click on free download. What does it say in Device manager ?

"effi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 333 mhz pentium 2 desktop,
> erased the disply adapter driver,
> need to reinstall the driver now,
> don't have the driver though,
> and the pci display adapter card doesn't have a manufacturer's name or

model
> number on it
>
> is there any way to determine the manufacturer and model number so the

right
> driver can be located?
>
> without the correct driver it only displays 16 colors,
> instead of high color (16 bit)

---