Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Becoming a Computer Tech

Becoming a Computer Tech

mcp6453

My son wants to become a computer tech. Are there any credible online
courses that could provide him with a good introduction to the field?

A Dude

Have him build a computer, online courses are not worth the money.

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son wants to become a computer tech. Are there any credible online
> courses that could provide him with a good introduction to the field?

Plato

mcp6453 wrote:

> My son wants to become a computer tech. Are there any credible online
> courses that could provide him with a good introduction to the field?

It's a hands on business. ie you cant learn how to become a surgeon
online you have to actually physically do it and to get the experience.

Joe

Discourage him and try to get him to go into a higher paying field, I think
most McDonalds are hiring.

Joe

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son wants to become a computer tech. Are there any credible online
> courses that could provide him with a good introduction to the field?

Volund

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son wants to become a computer tech. Are there any credible online
> courses that could provide him with a good introduction to the field?

Look into doing CompTIA A+ course at a school or other establishment.
Info can be found at http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/default.aspx

HTH

Justin

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Discourage him and try to get him to go into a higher paying field, I
> think most McDonalds are hiring.
>
> Joe
>
> "mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My son wants to become a computer tech. Are there any credible online
>> courses that could provide him with a good introduction to the field?

There's a 1000 page (a quick read--most of the pages are
pictures/charts/large font sizes) A+ Certification book by Michael Myers
that covers all aspects of hardware/software. It's a study guide for
the A+ PC Technician Certification exam. I picked up the '02 edition on
eBay for $15. Even if he doesn't take an A+ Cert. class, this book
would be great to use while he starts tearing down and rebuilding PC's.
Like a PC Tech's Bible. It has a lot of practical stuff to
repair/maintain/improve PC's.

Matt Pascoe

If he knows nothing about a computer how is he going to build one.

BIOS
IDE master/slave
motherboard types
RAM types
PSU power ratings
AGP
PCI
Onboard FX
Formatting/partitioning HD's
preping new HD's
cable 1 - the red one
floppy cable twist
CPU inserting
Heatsink ratings

Sounds simple to us, but he needs to know the basics first and if he doesnt
then hes probably very daunted.

Try book / the internet and of course courses.