Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Generic Host Processes for Win 32 Services?

Generic Host Processes for Win 32 Services?

John

Hello.

I just wondered what this "Generic Host Processes for Win 32 Services"
is exactly?

In my firewall there are two logos and that is the description for
them. One of them seems to be using the Internet a lot for some
reason but I don't know what its doing.

Thanks

John

Duane Arnold

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4nfmn0hn3a0p5kgp0jppgu3ob6khgv9gc2@
4ax.com:

> Hello.
>
> I just wondered what this "Generic Host Processes for Win 32 Services"
> is exactly?
>
> In my firewall there are two logos and that is the description for
> them. One of them seems to be using the Internet a lot for some
> reason but I don't know what its doing.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...-us;314056#kb2

svchost.exe *the Generic Host Processor* performs many task for the NT
based O/S. One of the tasks is communications on the network such as the
Internet. There can be many occurrences of svchost.exe running. Not only
does the O/S use svchost.exe on its behalf and other legit programs running
on the computer, but Trojans and malware can use svchost.exe too. So you
must always be aware of what svchost.exe is trying to connect to on remote
IP(s).

There are tools such as Active Ports and Process Explorer (free) that can
help you make the determination as to what a program is connecting to and
what processes are using the program look inside the running program or
process.

http://tinyurl.com/klw1

If svchost.exe is not running out of the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder, then
it's a Trojan.

You can go to the Command Prompt and enter SET and press the Enter-key and
it will shoe what is %SystemRoot%.

Duane

John

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 06:21:37 GMT, A strange species called Duane
Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4nfmn0hn3a0p5kgp0jppgu3ob6khgv9gc2@
>4ax.com:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I just wondered what this "Generic Host Processes for Win 32 Services"
>> is exactly?
>>
>> In my firewall there are two logos and that is the description for
>> them. One of them seems to be using the Internet a lot for some
>> reason but I don't know what its doing.

>http://support.microsoft.com/default...-us;314056#kb2
>
>svchost.exe *the Generic Host Processor* performs many task for the NT
>based O/S. One of the tasks is communications on the network such as the
>Internet. There can be many occurrences of svchost.exe running. Not only
>does the O/S use svchost.exe on its behalf and other legit programs running
>on the computer, but Trojans and malware can use svchost.exe too. So you
>must always be aware of what svchost.exe is trying to connect to on remote
>IP(s).
>
>There are tools such as Active Ports and Process Explorer (free) that can
>help you make the determination as to what a program is connecting to and
>what processes are using the program look inside the running program or
>process.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/klw1
>
>If svchost.exe is not running out of the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder, then
>it's a Trojan.
>
>You can go to the Command Prompt and enter SET and press the Enter-key and
>it will shoe what is %SystemRoot%.
>

>Duane

Thanks.

I downloaded the Process Explorer, and they all seem to be acting out
of the right folder. It doesn't seem to show which ip or web address
they are talking to though.

John

Duane Arnold

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 06:21:37 GMT, A strange species called Duane
> Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:4nfmn0hn3a0p5kgp0jppgu3ob6khgv9gc2@ 4ax.com:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I just wondered what this "Generic Host Processes for Win 32
>>> Services" is exactly?
>>>
>>> In my firewall there are two logos and that is the description for
>>> them. One of them seems to be using the Internet a lot for some
>>> reason but I don't know what its doing.

>>http://support.microsoft.com/default...-us;314056#kb2
>>
>>svchost.exe *the Generic Host Processor* performs many task for the NT
>>based O/S. One of the tasks is communications on the network such as
>>the Internet. There can be many occurrences of svchost.exe running.
>>Not only does the O/S use svchost.exe on its behalf and other legit
>>programs running on the computer, but Trojans and malware can use
>>svchost.exe too. So you must always be aware of what svchost.exe is
>>trying to connect to on remote IP(s).
>>
>>There are tools such as Active Ports and Process Explorer (free) that
>>can help you make the determination as to what a program is connecting
>>to and what processes are using the program look inside the running
>>program or process.
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/klw1
>>
>>If svchost.exe is not running out of the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder,
>>then it's a Trojan.
>>
>>You can go to the Command Prompt and enter SET and press the Enter-key
>>and it will shoe what is %SystemRoot%.
>>

>>Duane

> Thanks.
>
> I downloaded the Process Explorer, and they all seem to be acting out
> of the right folder. It doesn't seem to show which ip or web address
> they are talking to though.
>
> John

Active Ports gives you that information when a program is running such as
svchost.exe and it has remote connections on the LAN or (WAN-Internet) to
an IP.

Duane