Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > ZoneAlarm Security Suite

ZoneAlarm Security Suite

Peter Maurice Cram

I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on ZoneAlarm. I've been
thinking about purchasing ZoneAlarm Security Suite to replace my Norton 2004
security program. I really want to replace Norton's, and I know about free
virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
connection to the internet.

Thanks.

Joe

"Peter Maurice Cram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on ZoneAlarm. I've been
> thinking about purchasing ZoneAlarm Security Suite to replace my Norton

2004
> security program. I really want to replace Norton's, and I know about free
> virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
> connection to the internet.
>
> Thanks.

just buy a router and that will be waaay better then any software firewall

Peter Maurice Cram

news:20041024002610.908$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Peter Maurice Cram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on ZoneAlarm. I've been
>> thinking about purchasing ZoneAlarm Security Suite to replace my Norton

> 2004
>> security program. I really want to replace Norton's, and I know about
>> free
>> virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
>> connection to the internet.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> just buy a router and that will be waaay better then any software firewall

Yes, I've about hardware firewall in a router, but I've also heard that it
is a good idea to run a software firewall with it. Just'in Case! A good guy
: ).

Thanks

Thor

news:20041024002610.908$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Peter Maurice Cram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on ZoneAlarm. I've been
>> thinking about purchasing ZoneAlarm Security Suite to replace my Norton

> 2004
>> security program. I really want to replace Norton's, and I know about
>> free
>> virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
>> connection to the internet.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> just buy a router and that will be waaay better then any software firewall

they are nice because they are hardware, but realize that they don't don't
warn the user about unauthorized outbound connection attempts like software
firewalls do. So whether they are truly "better" is debatable.

Thagor

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:20041024002610.908$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Peter Maurice Cram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on ZoneAlarm. I've
>>> been thinking about purchasing ZoneAlarm Security Suite to replace
>>> my Norton

>> 2004
>>> security program. I really want to replace Norton's, and I know
>>> about free
>>> virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
>>> connection to the internet.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> just buy a router and that will be waaay better then any software
>> firewall

> they are nice because they are hardware, but realize that they don't
> don't warn the user about unauthorized outbound connection attempts
> like software firewalls do. So whether they are truly "better" is
> debatable.

In either case, you can use the free firewall program with a free virus
program and go the distance. Anything but Norton!

effi

"Peter Maurice Cram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on ZoneAlarm. I've been
>thinking about purchasing ZoneAlarm Security Suite to replace my Norton
>2004 security program. I really want to replace Norton's, and I know about
>free virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
>connection to the internet.
>
> Thanks.

one version of zone alarm is free = free firewall

one version of AVG antivirus software is free = free antivirus protection

both are available free on the internet,
together theses two supposedly work fine and some say they've used both for
years and never had a virus
(others say different - all issues will have people on both sides)

vs.

norton internet security = not free firewall and antivirus protection

noting both zone alarm and AVG have pay versions = also not free firewall
and antivirus protection

six of one, half a dozen of the other...
ford, chevrolet...