Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Replacing Old Drive

Replacing Old Drive

tony ritter

Using a Gateway G6-350 / Pentium II / 350mhz / Win98
----------

Planning on purchasing a new CD-RW drive.

---------

Should I unistall the original software that came with the computer (5 years
old) which was:

Adaptec Direct CD
Adaptec Direct CD Reader
Adaptec Easy CD Creator

---------------

Or, will the new software which comes with the drive overwrite the existing
software?

Many thanks for your response.
TR

Ken Dennis

> Or, will the new software which comes with the drive overwrite the existing
> software?

TR,

The new drive will probably come with it's own software, quite often nero,
or roxio.. I would probably uninstall the old software. It's not hurting
anything by being there, and might still work, but why not upgrade the
software while you upgrade the hardware.

--
Ken Dennis
http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net/

tony ritter

Ken Dennis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:

> The new drive will probably come with it's own software, quite often nero,
> or roxio.. I would probably uninstall the old software. It's not hurting
> anything by being there, and might still work, but why not upgrade the
> software while you upgrade the hardware.

--------------------

I am considering a:

Plextor 52x24x52 CD-RW Drive, Model PX-W5224TA/SW

The drive comes with:

Roxio Easy CD Creator
Roxio DirectCD
PlexTools
Roxio PhotoSuite
Dantz Retrospect

Thank you.
TR

Ken Dennis

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:35:33 -0400, tony ritter wrote:

> Ken Dennis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:
>

>> The new drive will probably come with it's own software, quite often nero,
>> or roxio.. I would probably uninstall the old software. It's not hurting
>> anything by being there, and might still work, but why not upgrade the
>> software while you upgrade the hardware.

> --------------------
>
> I am considering a:
>
> Plextor 52x24x52 CD-RW Drive, Model PX-W5224TA/SW

Plextor drives are pretty good, but I think I would tend to but a DVD-RW
now. They are quite cheap, and they serve the purpose of a CD-RW as well

--
Ken Dennis
http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net/
Various technology related articles and free
content for Webmasters.

tony ritter

Ken Dennis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:

> Plextor drives are pretty good, but I think I would tend to but a DVD-RW
> now. They are quite cheap, and they serve the purpose of a CD-RW as well

-----------

Ken,

I have a new SONY DVD-ROM 40X / CD-ROM [DDU1621] in Drive D.

I'm looking to replace the CD-RW in Drive E and I'm not certain my PII /
350mhz processor and win98 can handle a DVD-RW so I'll opt for the CD-RW in
the lower drive.

Best...
TR

James Hilton

"tony ritter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using a Gateway G6-350 / Pentium II / 350mhz / Win98
> ----------
>
> Planning on purchasing a new CD-RW drive.
>
> ---------
>
> Should I unistall the original software that came with the computer (5

years
> old) which was:
>
> Adaptec Direct CD
> Adaptec Direct CD Reader
> Adaptec Easy CD Creator
>
> ---------------
>
> Or, will the new software which comes with the drive overwrite the

existing
> software?
>
> Many thanks for your response.
> TR

Is that an HP7200 or close? I have an HP7200 in an old Pii machine running
Nero Burning Rom 6 and it is almost as fast as a new drive would be in that
machine. I have tested it with a new drive. Not a lot of difference.

tony ritter

James Hilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:

> Is that an HP7200 or close? I have an HP7200 in an old Pii machine running
> Nero Burning Rom 6 and it is almost as fast as a new drive would be in

that
> machine. I have tested it with a new drive. Not a lot of difference.

James,
The original CD / RW drive is that came with the computer five years ago is
a :

Philips CDD3610 CD-R/RW

Best...
TR