Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Still cannot drag files

Still cannot drag files

BH

I asked this recently, but I still haven't figured out the problem. I
try to move files into new folders, but they always return to where they
came from. I've tried all the normal troubleshooting help I've found
(left click, right click, pressing shift while dragging, etc), but none
of this has worked. It's like everything is locked into place. The
only thing I can do is rearrange them within the folder they're in or on
the desktop. Please help me. Thank you so much.

Thagor

BH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:VBhed.16244$OO2.2896
@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

> I asked this recently, but I still haven't figured out the problem. I
> try to move files into new folders, but they always return to where they
> came from. I've tried all the normal troubleshooting help I've found
> (left click, right click, pressing shift while dragging, etc), but none
> of this has worked. It's like everything is locked into place. The
> only thing I can do is rearrange them within the folder they're in or on
> the desktop. Please help me. Thank you so much.

Are you on a real computer with real software or is this some sort of
training device?

You won't get much help unless you include vital information in your
request.

Fred

Thagor dribbled:

> Are you on a real computer with real software or is this some sort of
> training device?

Everyone should use unix.

> You won't get much help unless you include vital information in your
> request.

Well, people say I'm a true natural beauty, both inside and out. Exquisite
27 year old lady, 57 with a remarkable figure of 34B bust, 25-inch waist
and 33-inch hips. Very attractive, bubbly professional, with smiles and
tenderness in abundance, perfect company for any situation, with unique
honesty, impeccable beauty and class. Does that help?

Thagor

Fred <~@~.com> wrote in
news:92adfe00aee447999053d07ca65df8a9@fe.40usenets erver.com:

> Thagor dribbled:
>
>> Are you on a real computer with real software or is this some sort of
>> training device?

> Everyone should use unix.
>
>> You won't get much help unless you include vital information in your
>> request.

> Well, people say I'm a true natural beauty, both inside and out.
> Exquisite 27 year old lady, 57 with a remarkable figure of 34B bust,
> 25-inch waist and 33-inch hips. Very attractive, bubbly professional,
> with smiles and tenderness in abundance, perfect company for any
> situation, with unique honesty, impeccable beauty and class. Does that
> help?

IMHO you should be very happy that nothing has dropped!

In any case, your hardware sounds fine. Perhaps you should try some
partitioning.

Fred

Thagor scrawled:

> IMHO you should be very happy that nothing has dropped!

Do you find yourself agreeing with the opinions of people even when you
really think they are ridiculous?

> Perhaps you should try some partitioning.

You don't sound too sure.

BH

Windows 98 on a Compaq. Not sure what else is vital...Not a computer
whiz at all.

Thagor wrote:

>BH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:VBhed.16244$OO2.2896
>@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:
>

>>I asked this recently, but I still haven't figured out the problem. I
>>try to move files into new folders, but they always return to where they
>>came from. I've tried all the normal troubleshooting help I've found
>>(left click, right click, pressing shift while dragging, etc), but none
>>of this has worked. It's like everything is locked into place. The
>>only thing I can do is rearrange them within the folder they're in or on
>>the desktop. Please help me. Thank you so much.
>>

>Are you on a real computer with real software or is this some sort of
>training device?
>
>You won't get much help unless you include vital information in your
>request.

Jerry G.

Do you have the Auto Arrange in these folders turned on???

--

Jerry G.
======

"BH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VBhed.16244$(E-Mail Removed) om...
I asked this recently, but I still haven't figured out the problem. I
try to move files into new folders, but they always return to where they
came from. I've tried all the normal troubleshooting help I've found
(left click, right click, pressing shift while dragging, etc), but none
of this has worked. It's like everything is locked into place. The
only thing I can do is rearrange them within the folder they're in or on
the desktop. Please help me. Thank you so much.

BH

I tried it with auto arrange on and off, but neither worked. I used a
friend's computer and noticed that when I move things around their
computer, a + sign appeared before I would drop the item. That's what
used to happen on mine, but now there's no sign....not even a crossed
out circle, like what happens when you try to move something where it
cannot be moved. I'm absolutely stumped. Could this be some sort of
virus? Seems improbable, but I'm at a loss.

BH wrote:

> I tried it with auto arrange on and off, but neither worked.

Try again.

> I used a friend's computer and noticed that when I move things around
> their computer, a + sign appeared before I would drop the item.

Computers should rule the world.

> That's what out circle, like what happens when you try to move
> something where it cannot be moved.

There is only one kind.

> I'm absolutely stumped.

Said the man with the wooden leg.

> Seems improbable, but I'm at a loss.

I am sometimes at a loss too.

Thagor

BH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:%8ned.16296$%v3.11816
@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

> I tried it with auto arrange on and off, but neither worked. I used a
> friend's computer and noticed that when I move things around their
> computer, a + sign appeared before I would drop the item. That's what
> used to happen on mine, but now there's no sign....not even a crossed
> out circle, like what happens when you try to move something where it
> cannot be moved. I'm absolutely stumped. Could this be some sort of
> virus? Seems improbable, but I'm at a loss.
>
> Jerry G. wrote:
>
>>Do you have the Auto Arrange in these folders turned on???

I've seen this once before. It was a totally trashed registry that was
causing the unfavorable actions. Have you tried to edit your registry or
ran a program that changes the registry file?

You can restore the registry by restarting your computer in MS DOS
mode and keying
scanreg.exe /restore
and press ENTER.
This did not work in my case and I wound up formating and reinstalling
everything but maybe you will have better luck.