Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Can anyone solve these problems??

Can anyone solve these problems??

Kevin Wainhouse

I have two problems with my system (ASUS P4B535= Celeron 1.7GB. O\S Windows
98 SE) which are 1. I have two HD drives. Corectly set up as primary master
& primary slave. Sometimes(say 1 in 7 \ 10 times) the computer ignores the
second HDD on start up & boots up with just the main drive. I notice this as
the drive light on the PC keeps on going altho there is no actual activity.
Any ideas?

Secondly and the most annoying.
On the secondary ide cable, I have installed master CD R\W drive and a new
slave DVD Rom drive. The CD Rom drive will play audio CDs and reads CD Roms-
also copies and writes quite satisfactorily. However the DVD drive will ONLY
play DVDs - quite satisfactorily(good audio & picture quality) but if I
install a audio CD, the
computer locks up and I have to undertake a hard boot to open the disc
drawer. The DVD drive reads CD Roms & CD RW discs ok. Both drives are new -
the DVD Rom drive is an ASUS E616P2 & specifically says that it plays all
types of audio CDs.

I have taken out the DVD drive & replaced it with a spare CD Rom drive and
this likewise does not play audio CDs- it also locks up the system.

I have replaced the ribbon EIDE cable- but this has no effect.
I have also replaced the sound card with a spare sound card - no effect.

Double, treble checked all connections & they are OK
This is beginning to annoy me........intensely. Any suggestions as to why
this DVD don't play audio CD's most gratefully recd.

Sorry post so long but it's better to give all deatils

Thanks

Kevin

Thor

"Kevin Wainhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:infed.3567$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I have two problems with my system (ASUS P4B535= Celeron 1.7GB. O\S
>Windows
> 98 SE) which are 1. I have two HD drives. Corectly set up as primary
> master
> & primary slave. Sometimes(say 1 in 7 \ 10 times) the computer ignores the
> second HDD on start up & boots up with just the main drive. I notice this
> as
> the drive light on the PC keeps on going altho there is no actual
> activity.
> Any ideas?

faulty cable (check both power and data) or bad drive, perhaps.

> Secondly and the most annoying.
> On the secondary ide cable, I have installed master CD R\W drive and a
> new
> slave DVD Rom drive. The CD Rom drive will play audio CDs and reads CD
> Roms-
> also copies and writes quite satisfactorily. However the DVD drive will
> ONLY
> play DVDs - quite satisfactorily(good audio & picture quality) but if I
> install a audio CD, the
> computer locks up and I have to undertake a hard boot to open the disc
> drawer. The DVD drive reads CD Roms & CD RW discs ok. Both drives are
> new -
> the DVD Rom drive is an ASUS E616P2 & specifically says that it plays all
> types of audio CDs.
>
> I have taken out the DVD drive & replaced it with a spare CD Rom drive and
> this likewise does not play audio CDs- it also locks up the system.
>
> I have replaced the ribbon EIDE cable- but this has no effect.
> I have also replaced the sound card with a spare sound card - no effect.
>
> Double, treble checked all connections & they are OK
> This is beginning to annoy me........intensely. Any suggestions as to why
> this DVD don't play audio CD's most gratefully recd.
>
> Sorry post so long but it's better to give all deatils
>
> Thanks
>
> Kevin

Thor

> Secondly and the most annoying.
> On the secondary ide cable, I have installed master CD R\W drive and a
> new
> slave DVD Rom drive. The CD Rom drive will play audio CDs and reads CD
> Roms-
> also copies and writes quite satisfactorily. However the DVD drive will
> ONLY
> play DVDs - quite satisfactorily(good audio & picture quality) but if I
> install a audio CD, the
> computer locks up and I have to undertake a hard boot to open the disc
> drawer. The DVD drive reads CD Roms & CD RW discs ok. Both drives are
> new -
> the DVD Rom drive is an ASUS E616P2 & specifically says that it plays all
> types of audio CDs.
>
> I have taken out the DVD drive & replaced it with a spare CD Rom drive and
> this likewise does not play audio CDs- it also locks up the system.
>
> I have replaced the ribbon EIDE cable- but this has no effect.
> I have also replaced the sound card with a spare sound card - no effect.
>
> Double, treble checked all connections & they are OK
> This is beginning to annoy me........intensely. Any suggestions as to why
> this DVD don't play audio CD's most gratefully recd.
>
> Sorry post so long but it's better to give all deatils

have you tried holding down the shift key when inserting an audio disc, to
prevent the autorun? I ask, because it may be something wrong with the
default CD audio player program, and when it launches to try and play the CD
or attempts to launch, something goes awry when trying to play from that
drive letter. I would suggest holding down the shift key after inserting the
disc, which prevents the CD from auto-playing, and see if you can browse the
..CDA track list in windows explorer . If you can, then try installing some
other application that can play an audio CD (winamp, etc) and see if it will
work without locking up.

Fred

Thor billowed:

> have you tried holding down the shift key when inserting an audio disc,
> to prevent the autorun?

When exactly?

> I ask, because it may be something wrong with the default CD audio
> player program, and when it launches to try and play the CD or attempts
> to launch, something goes awry when trying to play from that drive
> letter.

Why do you ask because it may be something wrong with the default CD audio
player program?

> I would suggest holding down the shift key after inserting the disc,
> which prevents the CD from auto-playing, and see if you can browse the
> .

Ok, you'd suggest it, but will it work?

> If you can, then try installing some other application that can play an
> audio CD (winamp, etc) and see if it will work without locking up.

What if I can't?

Please Help me solve these two questions Common Man C Programming 28 08-12-2012 11:47 AM
how to solve these equations vj C++ 9 09-23-2011 11:13 AM
can anyone solve this?? G Dean Blake ASP .Net Datagrid Control 5 01-18-2005 03:43 PM
anyone can solve my issue Abdul Cisco 0 08-02-2004 06:25 AM
please help solve these linked list and sscanf problems Andrej Hocevar C Programming 1 08-18-2003 08:02 PM

Advertisments