Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > cannot start in Safe Mode

cannot start in Safe Mode

Henry Stable

I use Windows XP and I cannot start in Safe Mode. After pressing F8 &
selecting Safe Mode the pc starts to load driver files, reboots and
presents the following message with "Start Windows normally" highlighted.

"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start
successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding,restarted unexpectedly, or was
automatically shut down to protect your files or folders, choose Last
Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interropted due to the Power or Reset
Button was pressed or if you aren't sure what caused the problem chose
"Start Windows Normally"

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

Use your up & down arrow keys to move the hightlight of your choice"

Selecting Safe Mode brings be back to this message

Selecting Last Known Good configuration starts Windows normally but if I
later attempt to start in Safe Mode I'm back to this message.

Similarly if I start Windows Normally, Windows starts up ok but
attempting to start in safe Mode later brings me back to this message.

Sytem restore doesn't help as which ever restoint point I use I
eventually, when trying to start in Safe Mode, end back at this message.

Any ideas please?

HS

Thor

"Henry Stable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cl5uab$n1r$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use Windows XP and I cannot start in Safe Mode. After pressing F8 &
>selecting Safe Mode the pc starts to load driver files, reboots and
>presents the following message with "Start Windows normally" highlighted.
>
> "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start
> successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.
>
> If your computer stopped responding,restarted unexpectedly, or was
> automatically shut down to protect your files or folders, choose Last
> Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that
> worked.
>
> If a previous startup attempt was interropted due to the Power or Reset
> Button was pressed or if you aren't sure what caused the problem chose
> "Start Windows Normally"
>
> Safe Mode
> Safe Mode with Networking
> Safe Mode with Command Prompt
> Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
> Start Windows Normally
>
> Use your up & down arrow keys to move the hightlight of your choice"
>
> Selecting Safe Mode brings be back to this message
>
> Selecting Last Known Good configuration starts Windows normally but if I
> later attempt to start in Safe Mode I'm back to this message.
>
> Similarly if I start Windows Normally, Windows starts up ok but attempting
> to start in safe Mode later brings me back to this message.
>
> Sytem restore doesn't help as which ever restoint point I use I
> eventually, when trying to start in Safe Mode, end back at this message.
>
> Any ideas please?

If windows won't even run in safe mode, considering the basic environment
that it is, you should probably just do a repair install. Put in your
windowsXP cd, and boot your computer to it. Choose to setup windows, and
then pick the repair install (not repair with recovery console). If you have
a branded PC with a recovery disc, or other recovery method, then try using
that to restore your PC, if it offers a non-destructive or repair-type
reovery option.

Henry Stable

Thor wrote:
> "Henry Stable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cl5uab$n1r$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I use Windows XP and I cannot start in Safe Mode. After pressing F8 &
>>selecting Safe Mode the pc starts to load driver files, reboots and
>>presents the following message with "Start Windows normally" highlighted.
>>
>>"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start
>>successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.
>>
>>If your computer stopped responding,restarted unexpectedly, or was
>>automatically shut down to protect your files or folders, choose Last
>>Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that
>>worked.
>>
>>If a previous startup attempt was interropted due to the Power or Reset
>>Button was pressed or if you aren't sure what caused the problem chose
>>"Start Windows Normally"
>>
>>Safe Mode
>>Safe Mode with Networking
>>Safe Mode with Command Prompt
>>Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
>>Start Windows Normally
>>
>>Use your up & down arrow keys to move the hightlight of your choice"
>>
>>Selecting Safe Mode brings be back to this message
>>
>>Selecting Last Known Good configuration starts Windows normally but if I
>>later attempt to start in Safe Mode I'm back to this message.
>>
>>Similarly if I start Windows Normally, Windows starts up ok but attempting
>>to start in safe Mode later brings me back to this message.
>>
>>Sytem restore doesn't help as which ever restoint point I use I
>>eventually, when trying to start in Safe Mode, end back at this message.
>>
>>Any ideas please?

> If windows won't even run in safe mode, considering the basic environment
> that it is, you should probably just do a repair install. Put in your
> windowsXP cd, and boot your computer to it. Choose to setup windows, and
> then pick the repair install (not repair with recovery console). If you have
> a branded PC with a recovery disc, or other recovery method, then try using
> that to restore your PC, if it offers a non-destructive or repair-type
> reovery option.

Thank you. Strangely Windows works perfectly well in normal mode it
just doesn't start in safe mode. I am anxious not to reinstall windows
as for some reason it buggers up my ISP - BT-yahoo broadband. They do
know about the problem & the only advice thet give is to format the
drive & do a clean installation.

I do have the Windows XP cd but am a little worried about trying the
repair install route in case of a possible effect on my broadband.

Henry

Thor

"Henry Stable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cl686p$lam$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
>> "Henry Stable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:cl5uab$n1r$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I use Windows XP and I cannot start in Safe Mode. After pressing F8 &
>>>selecting Safe Mode the pc starts to load driver files, reboots and
>>>presents the following message with "Start Windows normally" highlighted.
>>>
>>>"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start
>>>successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.
>>>
>>>If your computer stopped responding,restarted unexpectedly, or was
>>>automatically shut down to protect your files or folders, choose Last
>>>Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that
>>>worked.
>>>
>>>If a previous startup attempt was interropted due to the Power or Reset
>>>Button was pressed or if you aren't sure what caused the problem chose
>>>"Start Windows Normally"
>>>
>>>Safe Mode
>>>Safe Mode with Networking
>>>Safe Mode with Command Prompt
>>>Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
>>>Start Windows Normally
>>>
>>>Use your up & down arrow keys to move the hightlight of your choice"
>>>
>>>Selecting Safe Mode brings be back to this message
>>>
>>>Selecting Last Known Good configuration starts Windows normally but if I
>>>later attempt to start in Safe Mode I'm back to this message.
>>>
>>>Similarly if I start Windows Normally, Windows starts up ok but
>>>attempting to start in safe Mode later brings me back to this message.
>>>
>>>Sytem restore doesn't help as which ever restoint point I use I
>>>eventually, when trying to start in Safe Mode, end back at this message.
>>>
>>>Any ideas please?

>> If windows won't even run in safe mode, considering the basic environment
>> that it is, you should probably just do a repair install. Put in your
>> windowsXP cd, and boot your computer to it. Choose to setup windows, and
>> then pick the repair install (not repair with recovery console). If you
>> have a branded PC with a recovery disc, or other recovery method, then
>> try using that to restore your PC, if it offers a non-destructive or
>> repair-type reovery option.
>>

> Thank you. Strangely Windows works perfectly well in normal mode it just
> doesn't start in safe mode. I am anxious not to reinstall windows as for
> some reason it buggers up my ISP - BT-yahoo broadband. They do know about
> the problem & the only advice thet give is to format the drive & do a
> clean installation.
>
> I do have the Windows XP cd but am a little worried about trying the
> repair install route in case of a possible effect on my broadband.

The repair install *shouldn't* affect it.

mark mandel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Henry Stable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cl686p$lam$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thor wrote:
> >> "Henry Stable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:cl5uab$n1r$(E-Mail Removed)...

highlighted.

this.

message.

> >> If windows won't even run in safe mode, considering the basic

environment
> >> that it is, you should probably just do a repair install. Put in your
> >> windowsXP cd, and boot your computer to it. Choose to setup windows,

and
> >> then pick the repair install (not repair with recovery console). If you
> >> have a branded PC with a recovery disc, or other recovery method, then
> >> try using that to restore your PC, if it offers a non-destructive or
> >> repair-type reovery option.
> >>

> > Thank you. Strangely Windows works perfectly well in normal mode it

just
> > doesn't start in safe mode. I am anxious not to reinstall windows as

for
> > some reason it buggers up my ISP - BT-yahoo broadband. They do know

about
> > the problem & the only advice thet give is to format the drive & do a
> > clean installation.
> >
> > I do have the Windows XP cd but am a little worried about trying the
> > repair install route in case of a possible effect on my broadband.

> The repair install *shouldn't* affect it.

Right, and the only thing he would need to do after this is to re-install
the updates and perhaps other software he had.

Henry Stable

mark mandel wrote:
> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Henry Stable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:cl686p$lam$(E-Mail Removed)...

> highlighted.

> this.

> message.

> environment

> and

>>>Thank you. Strangely Windows works perfectly well in normal mode it

> just
>
>>>doesn't start in safe mode. I am anxious not to reinstall windows as

> for
>
>>>some reason it buggers up my ISP - BT-yahoo broadband. They do know

> about
>
>>>the problem & the only advice thet give is to format the drive & do a
>>>clean installation.
>>>
>>>I do have the Windows XP cd but am a little worried about trying the
>>>repair install route in case of a possible effect on my broadband.

>>The repair install *shouldn't* affect it.

> Right, and the only thing he would need to do after this is to re-install
> the updates and perhaps other software he had.

thanks guys, I'll think about a repair installation; however as the pc
starts in normal mode, it being only safe mode which doesn't work, I may
stay as I am pro tem

HS

anime_seven anime_seven is offline
Junior Member

why does this happen?

anime_seven anime_seven is offline
Junior Member

i also got the same prolem,and was just wondering, why does this happen? anybody knows?

N1ck300 N1ck300 is offline
Junior Member

I am also unable to start in Safe Mode, but the computer works perfectly in normal mode.

I have a branded PC and cannot reinstall Windows alone. i am reluctant to do a 'clean' install of everything as it takes about 2 days to do it and download all the software updates and restore all the settings etc.

ebjones ebjones is offline
Junior Member

I'm having the exact same issue. This after recently installing windows xp professional and restoring some backup data. Has anyone found a cause/fix to this? I as others have mentioned, am wary of reinstalling due to the length of time it takes to get al my programs up and running again. Not to mention that I hate to reinstall, not knowing if this is required or will even fix the problem mentioned...

Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode Vic Computer Support 2 09-23-2005 07:39 PM
Re: Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode Vic Computer Support 0 09-23-2005 04:50 PM
Safe mode Vs normal mode Echy Firefox 6 08-27-2005 07:56 PM
adware different in safe mode and normal mode?? Ladydeb Computer Support 0 09-24-2004 09:30 AM

Advertisments